Crazy battery life!

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to compare the battery in my old Droid Bionic to my new Maxx. I have the extended battery (2700) in my Bionic. Also, the Bionic battery goes down by 10s. Both were fully charged. Both screens at their full brightness. I played the same game on each phone and had the screen on for around17 min on each phone. My Maxx is at 96% and my Bionic is at 90%.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to compare the battery in my old Droid Bionic to my new Maxx. I have the extended battery (2700) in my Bionic. Also, the Bionic battery goes down by 10s. Both were fully charged. Both screens at their full brightness. I played the same game on each phone and had the screen on for around17 min on each phone. My Maxx is at 96% and my Bionic is at 90%.

from my calculations, bionic would be dead around 2.83 hours and maxx would be dead in 7. dont forget to take into consideration the bigger screen on the maxx.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You'd need to compare longer - the Bionic battery could be anywhere from 90%-99%, since it goes down by 10%. There are some battery widget/notifiers that can count in 1% increments on Bionics, though. Like this one: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...shancomputing.BatteryIndicator&token=d9gMqhFE

cgc4200

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I use bluetooth all day at work so I can handsfree out in the field. Will this dramatically affect the maxx like it does the iphones?

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
You'd need to compare longer - the Bionic battery could be anywhere from 90%-99%, since it goes down by 10%. There are some battery widget/notifiers that can count in 1% increments on Bionics, though. Like this one: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...shancomputing.BatteryIndicator&token=LG-b59Az

I did test it a little longer with internet use. The Maxx was at 75% and the Bionic was at 60%. This was with the screen on for 1 hr and 37 min. Can't remember what the overall time was.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I did test it a little longer with internet use. The Maxx was at 75% and the Bionic was at 60%. This was with the screen on for 1 hr and 37 min. Can't remember what the overall time was.

Again - unless you were using an app that reports single percentage on the Bionic, it was somewhere between 60 and 69 percent. It shows 60 as soon as the battery drops below 70, until it drops below 60.

But, yes, the Maxx seems to have better battery life than the Bionic. It has a bigger battery but faster hardware and has to push more pixels, so the battery benefit is less than the increased battery size.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Again - unless you were using an app that reports single percentage on the Bionic, it was somewhere between 60 and 69 percent. It shows 60 as soon as the battery drops below 70, until it drops below 60.

But, yes, the Maxx seems to have better battery life than the Bionic. It has a bigger battery but faster hardware and has to push more pixels, so the battery benefit is less than the increased battery size.

I would think when it hits 60% it is somewhere between 60 and 51. It doesn't make sense for it be between 60 and 69. The battery starts at 100%. So it stays at 100 from 100-91, 90 from 90-81, 80 from 80-71, 70 from 70-61 and then 60 from 60-51.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is correct. When I look at the Maxx battery icon/pic it shows a full battery at 100%. The battery level on the icon/pic doesn't drop until it hits 90%. The Bionic is the same way. So when the Bionic showed 60% it was between 60 and 51, not 60 and 69.

Last edited:

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Mostly for grins, decided to power down for the first time last night. (Wasn't sure I'd make it thru a long day today if I began around 50% where I'd be, wasn't time to charge yet!) Shocked to see that the battery didn't drop even 1% overnight while powered down. Crazy. I expected 5...something. Surely not 0.

Mine drops over 1% an hour with everything turned off and 2% hour with WiFi running. Restarting gives wonderful battery life of less than .5% an hour for a day or two.

I have tried everything I can think of. Most extra apps are forced close.

Sent from Droid Maxx

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine drops over 1% an hour with everything turned off and 2% hour with WiFi running. Restarting gives wonderful battery life of less than .5% an hour for a day or two.

I have tried everything I can think of. Most extra apps are forced close.

Sent from Droid Maxx

Keep in mind your phone is never gonna get to zero usage while on. You still have 2 cores powering active notification, camera twist, touch less control, and your phone should have those on- its a primary function of the phone.

Why sweat the small stuff? You've got the best battery on the market and you're still hawking the battery life? Let the juice flow!

Posted via Android Central App

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
How come my screen uses 65% battery and 18t's only uses 28% battery?

18t, just out of curiosity, what is the brightness of your screen?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
How come my screen uses 65% battery and 18t's only uses 28% battery?

18t, just out of curiosity, what is the brightness of your screen?

1. You used your screen more than I did in a short period of time. In 14 hours you had the screen on nearly as much as I did over 2 days.
2. Auto brightness. I rarely have my screen on outdoors. Most of the time it's indoors where the screen brightness isn't that high.
3. Have you figured out why your phone stays awake with the screen off?

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
1. You used your screen more than I did in a short period of time. In 14 hours you had the screen on nearly as much as I did over 2 days.
2. Auto brightness. I rarely have my screen on outdoors. Most of the time it's indoors where the screen brightness isn't that high.
3. Have you figured out why your phone stays awake with the screen off?

Nope, is there a way to check? There is a big awake block in there again. My battery only drained 2% in that six hour period that it was off.

I tried the auto brightness and it was too hard to see. I have mine at full brightness, but I think I'll give it a try at home. It's pretty bright in my office so the screen gets pretty dim. Maybe at home it'll work better.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Nope, is there a way to check? There is a big awake block in there again. My battery only drained 2% in that six hour period that it was off.

I tried the auto brightness and it was too hard to see. I have mine at full brightness.

Well again, Toyota advertises 50 mpg on the Prius, but that doesn't mean your going to get that driving 100 mph around an oval track. Full brightness is going to run the battery down faster, no way around that.

As for staying awake, your going to have to figure that out by checking your battery graph throughout the day.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You're still monitoring your battery life? Give it a rest man. You will begin to drive yourself nuts soon enough. Haha :p

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be some funny stuff going on for sure. My phone drains 1%/hr and my gf phone drains around 0.5%/hr. Both phones on airplane mode and confirmed no rogue apps via bbs and gsam battery monitor apps.

Think there is a software issue as root cause here, something that relates to how the low power cores are managed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams