Really high Android OS CPU usage?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I turned off touch less control. Still at 70% deep sleep with everything turned off except 4G. Drains about 1.5% per hour even when I don't touch it for 8 hours. I have seen my wife's iPhone at 85% after 24 hours off the charger.

Do you use Google Now? Even if you don't, go into Google Now by holding down on home and sliding your finger up to the Google circle that shows up. Scroll to the bottom and hit the menu control bottom right. Hit settings. From that screen, Privacy & accounts. Tap Google location settings. Is "access location" turned on? How about location reporting and location history for all Google accounts on the phone? If you turn those off, does the phone drain less? (I'm not sure it will - just wondering.)

iPhones do not do as much background processing as Android phones and they do drain less, though that is changing with iOS7, which has started allowing more background app access. Have you looked at your wife's iPhone draining lately or was that before the iOS7 upgrade?

Frankly, background processing is one of the useful features of Android compared with iOS, of course with the downside that it causes more battery use. Still - this is a Droid Maxx. Are we really worried about 1.5% battery drain per hour compared with what other Android phones with smaller batteries would have?

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes we are worried about 1.5%/hr because it is excessive. A big battery is no excuse to be inefficient. Some people are getting virtually no idle drain, some are getting 1.5%/hr so I suspect a software issue. Hopeful that the upcoming update will improve on that along with the camera

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I turned off Google now and location access services. Just unloaded twitter since it seems to keep activating itself even after forcing it off.

I am an old PC tech and now a software tester.. And got burned after two bad droid experiences. This is just bugging me and dampens the otherwise excellent performance of this phone. Double the battery size and twice the drain.. Is frustrating for any bragging rights.

Sent from Droid Maxx

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I really don't care about bragging. Google Now is incredibly useful to me. I bought this phone so I wouldn't think about the battery like I did with my last two. It just needs to get me from wake up to bed time. It more than does that, in even the worst signal conditions.

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
IPhone 4 running iOS 6. No Plans to put ios7 on it. I try to only do system upgrades as little as possible. I upgraded to iOS 6 over the summer. iOS 5 worked fine.. I got <bleeped> by a gingerbread update on my droid 2. Don't like to mess around with time left on contract before available to get subsidized phone.

Sent from Droid Maxx

byitb

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
so i received the hangouts and google search update about 4 days ago and the android cpu usage has completely diminished. I'm dropping about 1% every 2 hours (instead of 1 like before) and now my screen is almost always double the cpu usage. my battery life has also improved a lot and i'm getting almost 2 FULL days of moderate-heavy usage...
the best phone just got better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon