Droid Maxx miracast with Lapdock experiment

whitehat09

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So a few months ago I picked up one of the Atrix Lapdocks for $10 at Radio Shack. I've been using it just as a portable monitor for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Nexus uses MHL so keyboard and monitor cant work at the same time), however I'm traveling more for work and I'm interested in using it to its full potential so I've been looking for a used Razr Maxx HD for sale (I'm also interested in Motorola phones now since they can be used internationally, but neither here nor there). But the sudden price drop in the new Motorola lineup at Verizon got me interested in the Droid Maxx. As some of you know/are disappointed with, the Maxx does not support HDMI out but only miracast. As an experiment I purchased a Rocketfish miracast dongle from Best Buy and took it along side my lapdock to the Verizon store to test it out on the Maxx (AFAIK this has not been tested yet?). This worked flawlessly. The video was clear and the lag was almost unoticable. The one thing that I noticed and can be annoying but not a deal breaker is that the screen orientation still changes with the accelerometer, aka you need to keep the phone screen orientation locked as lanscape or the view on the lapdock looks just like the phone and doesnt use the full screen. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos and forgot my micro-usb extension cable so I dont know if the keyboard and trackpad will work on the Maxx but I am very hopefully that it will since both products are Motorola.

tl;dr - Tested Motorola Maxx miracast functionality with miracast dongle + Motorola Atrix Lapdock and it worked very well with full screen. Have not tried keyboard/trackpad functionality on Maxx yet.

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I have a DROID maxx and both the lapdocks 100 & 500. I just ordered a mini hdmi coupler, and a micro USB extension cable

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

whitehat09

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Temptation got the best of me and I purchased a Droid Maxx. I have since tested the usb keyboard/mouse and it works with the official Atrix lapdock extension cables. However this did not work when using a cheap micro usb extension cable I got off ebay. My guess is that the "official" cable is OTG and thats why it works. I will try making a video demonstrating this in a few days.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Temptation got the best of me and I purchased a Droid Maxx. I have since tested the usb keyboard/mouse and it works with the official Atrix lapdock extension cables. However this did not work when using a cheap micro usb extension cable I got off ebay. My guess is that the "official" cable is OTG and thats why it works. I will try making a video demonstrating this in a few days.

I got the atrix lapdock from radioshack for $8 last year and flipped the connections. I never could stand the weird black bars with my droid razr maxx hd so I just gave the lapdock to my roommate who has a droid razr maxx and got a tablet. It works great for her. Problem is her phone is acting up.

Bought a Motorola Admiral on ebay for $15. Moto X is only $34.99 plus $30 upgrade fee after using VERIZON30 promo code, then MOTOJB100 to trade up the admiral, so it ends up being a free phone and $30 (roughly) acount credit. She's gotten so dependent on the lapdock so this is good to hear. I assume since this trick worked with the droid maxx if she got the MOTO X all would be well.

SO. All we need is the rocketfish miracast adapter and use one of the cables from the extension set to connect to the phone? I can find the cables, but could the OP or someone post a link to which one? Wouldn't I also need a micro hdmi cable female to hdmi Male?

Hell, maybe I won't tell her and I'll just ask for the lapdock back and see if I like it myself LOL

Thanks!

Greg Tardif1

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So a few months ago I picked up one of the Atrix Lapdocks for $10 at Radio Shack. I've been using it just as a portable monitor for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Nexus uses MHL so keyboard and monitor cant work at the same time), however I'm traveling more for work and I'm interested in using it to its full potential so I've been looking for a used Razr Maxx HD for sale (I'm also interested in Motorola phones now since they can be used internationally, but neither here nor there). But the sudden price drop in the new Motorola lineup at Verizon got me interested in the Droid Maxx. As some of you know/are disappointed with, the Maxx does not support HDMI out but only miracast. As an experiment I purchased a Rocketfish miracast dongle from Best Buy and took it along side my lapdock to the Verizon store to test it out on the Maxx (AFAIK this has not been tested yet?). This worked flawlessly. The video was clear and the lag was almost unoticable. The one thing that I noticed and can be annoying but not a deal breaker is that the screen orientation still changes with the accelerometer, aka you need to keep the phone screen orientation locked as lanscape or the view on the lapdock looks just like the phone and doesnt use the full screen. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos and forgot my micro-usb extension cable so I dont know if the keyboard and trackpad will work on the Maxx but I am very hopefully that it will since both products are Motorola.

tl;dr - Tested Motorola Maxx miracast functionality with miracast dongle + Motorola Atrix Lapdock and it worked very well with full screen. Have not tried keyboard/trackpad functionality on Maxx yet.
I bet if you set up something in Tasker you would be able to lock orientation only when miracast is connected...not a sermon, just a thought.

fast_eddie_72

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
First of all, thanks for this thread. I got my Lapdock 100 working with my Droid Maxx last night. Nice to have it back! I actually still really like my Lapdock and continued using it as a wifi device with my old Bionic. But nice to have my little 4G laptop back up and running.

Anyone know if there's a way to use a USB Bluetooth adapter for the keyboard and pointer? It would be sweet if the whole thing was wireless. I'm not sure if it would work, though. The Lapdock doesn't seem to power on until I plug the USB in. I don't know if a Bluetooth adapter would let it fire up or not. Just kind of hoping someone has the parts lying around to give it a try before I go buy one.