ISSUE: 4G Icon & Signal Bars Go White. Help?

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Ever Since I Got My Maxx (13 Days Ago) I Started Noticing My Blue 4G Icon & Signal Bars, Go White Randomly 2-3 Times a Day. I Called VZW and They Said To Exchange It At Store. Is That The Best Option Or Is There A Way To Fix The Issue Myself ? & It Also Turns White When I Get In The "My Verizon" widget App. Help Will Be Appreciated Alot

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The signal bar indicator will only turn blue when you have a solid/locked in signal. White means its not totally locked in on the signal but you will still be able to make calls and surf the net. Only Motorola phones have the signal indicator that changes color. You could also cycle airplane mode on then off it will sometimes help the phone lock in on a better signal. Your signal will also vary based on where you are in relation to the cell towers. There is nothing wrong with your phone all motorola smart phones have that color changing bar indicator. By the way I have the new Maxx and it only does it if the signal is iffy or it hasn't locked in yet but other than that no issue.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Blue lock means you're connected to Google play services. If it blue, push notifications should be working properly... If its white, then there is an issue with Google play services or if you're on WiFi, the appropriate port is not opened... Can't recall what port number that is.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay Thanks I Got That, It Makes Sense, But The One Question I Still Have Is, Why Does The Icon Go White When I Get On The "My Verizon" App To Check Usage And Bill Info. That Shouldn't Happen, Right?

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Just checked. My Maxx has the same behavior. Never paid any attention before now, because white or blue, I can make calls, send and receive texts, and access the internet.

Posted from my XT1080M

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The signal bar indicator will only turn blue when you have a solid/locked in signal. White means its not totally locked in on the signal but you will still be able to make calls and surf the net. Only Motorola phones have the signal indicator that changes color.

??? I am not certain if any of these statements are correct.

My old HTC Rezond had a gray verses blue 4G signal as well. Also, if you do a Google search for "blue verses gray signal" you'll see this topic show up for lots of different non-Motorola phones.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
When all else fails, there's always the official phone's manual. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth.

u5ete6u6.jpg

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine Does Turn White When I Get On My Verizon App , & As Soon As I Close App From "Recent Apps" It Goes Back To Blue. Its Quite Annoying.

Wow, I just tried it and mine does the same thing. Then the blue color connection comes right back after exiting the My Verizon app.

To tell you the truth, I cannot remember ever having a problem when my signal strength turns white. I just use my phone whether or not the signal is blue or gray or white. Unless you are unable to access certain services or information when it turns white, I wouldn't worry about it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I was using WiFi to connect to My Verizon, and that never lost connectivity to google. Are you guys seeing this loss of color only on mobile networks (LTE or EVDO)? If so, maybe that's happening because Verizon doesn't meter data usage of the mobile network while you are connected to the My Verizon app, so that it's use doesn't count against your data plan? But, in so doing, they are temporarily locking you out of other data connections in the background?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this thread from the beginning, but I have not seen an answer to why the white and blue.

I have 2 places where both wifi and cell signal go white.

In one case I have no data or extremely slow data despite apparently good connections.

In the other case I have good data that lines up with my signal strength for both wifi and cell.

When I am at home, my Wifi is blue and my cell is white. I have great data speed.

I had thought that white indicators meant that there was no data, but that does not seem to be the case. Now I am even more curious.

This is certainly not a Moto feature, more likely Android. My GNex exhibited the same behavior when I had it.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this thread from the beginning, but I have not seen an answer to why the white and blue.

I have 2 places where both wifi and cell signal go white.

In one case I have no data or extremely slow data despite apparently good connections.

In the other case I have good data that lines up with my signal strength for both wifi and cell.

When I am at home, my Wifi is blue and my cell is white. I have great data speed.

I had thought that white indicators meant that there was no data, but that does not seem to be the case. Now I am even more curious.

This is certainly not a Moto feature, more likely Android. My GNex exhibited the same behavior when I had it.

The question WAS answered:

Blue lock means you're connected to Google play services. If it blue, push notifications should be working properly... If its white, then there is an issue with Google play services or if you're on WiFi, the appropriate port is not opened... Can't recall what port number that is.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

FYI... WiFi blue just means that you're connected to Google Play services, even though the 4G indicator is white. WiFi data supercedes Cellular Data.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
There's My Screenshots. As Soon As I Get In My Verizon App, It Turns White. And As Soon As I Swipe App Off From Recent Apps, It Goes Back To Blue

Sent From My Droid Maxx

Attachments

• 1382998694227.jpg
    1382998694227.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1382998703955.jpg
    1382998703955.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members