Motorola Device Manager will not install on my MACs!?!

Alex Mitchell3

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Today I switched from my iPhone to a Droid Maxxx thinking that it would be better suited to my uses and after being reassured that my simple syncing requirements would easily be met since I exclusively use Mac computers? but I can't do ANYTHING. When I plug my phone into my computer it prompts me to install the Motorola Device Manger with promises of convenient syncing and file transfers so I install. It goes through the install process and finishes with the green checkmark saying "Installation Complete". However the icon never changes and the only clickable button remains the "Install Motorola Device Manager" icon and clicking it starts the install process all over again. I have downloaded the Manager from the Motorola site, I have redownloaded it from the phone, I have restarted the computer after install, and I have tried this on TWO mac laptops and had the exact same results. Can anyone help? I'm very close to licking my wounds and paying the restocking fee for the new phone and getting a new iPhone since I know I won't have these issues with that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Which OS X version are you running?

I have it running on my MacBook running 10.7.5, though I rarely connect my phone. But, it works for me.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
what is the purpose of you trying to connect to your MAC? just download AirDroid and do what you need to through your browser.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Agree. AirDroid or Android File Transfer are your options on Mac. Btw, its not your Droid limiting you, its the chastity belt MacOS doing it. You can't natively drag/drop on a mac. You have to do everything through iTunes.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I am having this same issue. Airdroid does work but I do not understand why the moto version does not work on Mac. I have tried downloading it from the site and about every other combo I could think of to get it to work.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, a few things:

- on the phone, go to settings->storage. Tap the three dot menu control at the top, and hit "USB computer connection". Make sure that "Media device (MTP)" is checked. Also make sure that "software install" is off.

- Go to Android.com and download and install Android File Transfer. Follow the instructions on that page.

- Connect the phone to the Mac. AFT should start automatically and you can use its interface to access the files on the device.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
If you change the USB connection to Camera iPhoto will upload pictures, no software required. For music and documents, your going to have to use AFT, or Upload to Google Drive, another option.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you change the USB connection to Camera iPhoto will upload pictures, no software required. For music and documents, your going to have to use AFT, or Upload to Google Drive, another option.

Or Dropbox auto camera upload, Google+ auto upload, Sugarsync auto upload.

mobiletechfan82

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a motorola droid XYBoard Tablet 4g. I've downloaded the download manager and also the android file transfer and when I connect it says that no device is connected. It's on a Mac desktop. I've tried to do it through the tablet and it says that an update is available and it will install the update fine then reboot the tablet. It gets about 25% complete then an error occurs. When it powers back on to the main screen it says software update failed. I don't know what else to do?