Droid Maxx - what are the advantages of Developer Edition?

leckert123

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for a noob question - I have to buy off-contract to preserve my unlimited data. That means either $499 for the standard Droid Maxx, $649 for the DE version (currently out of stock), or $699 if I go for a Samsung Note 3 instead, to get the huge screen.

As I understand it, the only difference between the $499 standard phone vs the $649 DE version from Moto is that the DE has an unlocked bootloader. My OG Droid and Bionic are both rooted, primarily so that I can use Foxfi and freeze Verizon bloatware apps to keep the phone from getting really bogged down. I intend to do the same with a new phone.

Net: Does the DE version's unlocked bootloader make rooting easier or better somehow? I'm not a Dev...just want to be able to root for FoxFi tethering and freezing bloatware. Do I need the unlocked bootloader for the extra $150?

Lee

leckert123

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Read this thread, all the way through. Does PDANet/FoxFi work? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Not quite one-click root, but pretty close. Disclaimer: I have not done this. Yet.

Thank you, Unobtainium. Bummer that FoxFi doesn't work with the Maxx. However, I don't especially care if I use FoxFi to root (although I have the paid version), as long as I can tether on my unlimited plan without paying an extra monthly fee to VZ to tether. The method suggested for enabling the built-in tether to work sounds good, although it does sound like it may be the sort of thing that VZ will eventually find a way to block.

Thanks, Einstein. Would love more input from additional folks as well. Need to go research whether FoxFi works with the Note3.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Developer edition for this phone would be for someone who would like to develop.

Haha. I mean just that though. If you want to create custom roms or kernels using ASOP. It's not for the everyday user. It won't be like a nexus experience since support for this phone is not as large.

Been in the game since OG Droid and for the first time I haven't felt the itch to root. This phone came out the box mint. Yeah the camera could be better in low lit situations, but that by no means is a deal breaker. Especially considering the problems that we had to deal with in the past. I just hope Kit Kat keeps the fluidity that we have now.

Posted via Android Central App

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Here is how you can get tethering on your grandfathered unlimited:
1. Root the Maxx with MotoRoot - it's not a full blown root but a way to gain root privileges and it's easy to revert by simply uninstalling MotoRoot. The root access is gained by installing MotoRoot app which exploits some security vulnerabilities
2. Install SQLite or other SQL editor
3. Open Settings.db with SQLithe and change value of "Entitlement check" from 1 to 0
4. Reboot
5. Enjoy the full functionality of the built-in native tethering
6. Uninstall the root app, if you want.

And from what I've heard, this hack survives updates

Search for 'entitlement check' for more info

Posted via Android Central App

leckert123

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
CrazyRussian, thanks for the info on MotoRoot. I had previously assumed that MotoRoot was a normal root method, not a root "lite". So this would enable me to use the built-in tethering app for free, (not FoxFi). If yes, that's certainly an option unless Google/VZ lock down the exploit that permits this.

Related to my original post, I saw this article . A good portion of it is over my head, but it would appear that an unlocked bootloader may become increasingly necessary when Kit Kat hits the Maxx.

See 3rd paragraph from the bottom:
While nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy, I think it?s fair to say that ?rooting? and modifying devices running Android 4.4 with locked bootloaders (i.e. where root exploits are required, as the OEM will not permit custom kernels) may well be considerably more difficult than in previous Android versions. It seems that Android 4.4 is taking a few leaves out of the Chrome OS book, as these changes essentially implement ?verified boot,? as found on Chrome OS.

reggier14

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Net: Does the DE version's unlocked bootloader make rooting easier or better somehow? I'm not a Dev...just want to be able to root for FoxFi tethering and freezing bloatware. Do I need the unlocked bootloader for the extra $150?

An unlocked bootloader makes rooting trivial. You'll always be able to accept OTAs and re-root by flashing your favorite SU program in a custom recovery.

Without an unlocked bootloader, you basically need to wait for someone to find an exploit in new firmware/OS builds. A pseudo-alternative would be to use SafeStrap to boot into a modified OS. You could technically stay on an old firmware version, but boot into a modified OS through SafeStrap. That tends to be less reliable, and doesn't sound like a good option for you.

CrazyRussian, thanks for the info on MotoRoot. I had previously assumed that MotoRoot was a normal root method, not a root "lite". So this would enable me to use the built-in tethering app for free, (not FoxFi). If yes, that's certainly an option unless Google/VZ lock down the exploit that permits this.

MotoRoot is plenty to use the entitlement hack to enable free tethering. For now.

However, I think your concerns about the future are well-founded. The material you found on improved support for secure boot in Android 4.4 is just one example of improved security on Android. Since rooting mechanisms like MotoRoot are essentially indistinguishable from a malicious rootkit, this is generally a good thing. Root exploits are going to get harder and harder to create on future Android versions. I don't think we'll see bootloader exploits on this current generation of Motorola phones. The set of vulnerabilities required to develop the bootloader exploit on the previous generation were pretty silly. Silly to the point that I really wonder if some Motorola engineers intentionally left some of those holes open to give the modders a chance. But, these companies are all taking security more seriously, so I wouldn't expect that sort of thing to happen again. It might still happen, because security is hard, but I wouldn't expect it.

As a side note, I highly doubt any already-released phones are going to start using dm-verity.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you get the developer edition and decide you want a consumer edition, I will send you mine and gladly pay the difference

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

sailormon

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have an ota waiting and keep putting it off due to having rooted the maxx. Now here is something interesting. Just after the root, I changed the entitlement from 1 to 0 after calling and dropping my $30 per month tethering fee, thinking it was dropped at that time. Hell yea, it seemed to work, I was tethering as folks said I would.

Then on the ninth, my billing day, tethering quit, it was cut off by the company at that time. So I went back in and changed it from 0 to 1 and now I again was tethered. Here is my take on this. When it is set to one, it worked like a three way switch, but they detected it and this morning it was turned off with a notice to subscribe to the $30 per month plan.

Now I wonder, can they detect it if set on 0? I have read they cannot, but the game is making me nervous as I don't want to lose my unlimited over this with verizon. I am going to go back and reset it to 0 and take a chance. Some guy did this for the last year or so with a bionic and never raised a flag. Keep answers simple, I am an old dude whom carried slide rules and used mechanical computers in the early 60's and adjustments come slow. lol

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have an ota waiting and keep putting it off due to having rooted the maxx. Now here is something interesting. Just after the root, I changed the entitlement from 1 to 0 after calling and dropping my $30 per month tethering fee, thinking it was dropped at that time. Hell yea, it seemed to work, I was tethering as folks said I would.

Then on the ninth, my billing day, tethering quit, it was cut off by the company at that time. So I went back in and changed it from 0 to 1 and now I again was tethered. Here is my take on this. When it is set to one, it worked like a three way switch, but they detected it and this morning it was turned off with a notice to subscribe to the $30 per month plan.

Now I wonder, can they detect it if set on 0? I have read they cannot, but the game is making me nervous as I don't want to lose my unlimited over this with verizon. I am going to go back and reset it to 0 and take a chance. Some guy did this for the last year or so with a bionic and never raised a flag. Keep answers simple, I am an old dude whom carried slide rules and used mechanical computers in the early 60's and adjustments come slow. lol

I have unlimited with Verizon, changed the 1 to 0, and have had zero issues. Been changed for around 2 months. Tethering works perfectly.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for a noob question - I have to buy off-contract to preserve my unlimited data. That means either $499 for the standard Droid Maxx, $649 for the DE version (currently out of stock), or $699 if I go for a Samsung Note 3 instead, to get the huge screen.

As I understand it, the only difference between the $499 standard phone vs the $649 DE version from Moto is that the DE has an unlocked bootloader. My OG Droid and Bionic are both rooted, primarily so that I can use Foxfi and freeze Verizon bloatware apps to keep the phone from getting really bogged down. I intend to do the same with a new phone.

Lee

To leckert123 ... I can relate to your inquiries regarding the developer edition maxx and note 3. My plan with VZW is unlimited data so I also have to pay full price for my phones. I have had both phones in hand for almost two weeks. I was pulled into the Note3 by size and beauty of the screen AND I am a small business owner that processes credit cards. None of my credit card readers work with the Maxx so I have to fat finger all the transactions. It has been a back and forth struggle that must come to an end by this Friday (BestBuy return policy almost up). I fired up the Note3 and i was impressed by the performance despite the heavy TouchWiz. Just when I thought Note3 could replace or "plus 1" the Maxx, differences began to appear that I didn't expect like:
1. NFC secure element. I was a heavy ISIS user, but this feature doesn't work on the Note3. This will probably be fixed with KK whenever it is rolled out, but who knows when that will be released.
2. Email client for POP servers has limits. I can only download a max of 100KB in background. Yes, I can always hit the Load Message button or buy another POP client, but Maxx allows unlimited message size downloads with the built-in client. Since, I travel a lot, I found myself double checking emails with attachments to make sure i hit the "load message" button to ensure the entire email was downloaded.
3. I prefer dark background in my messaging apps (primarily email) and phone. Again, the VZW Note3 doesn't offer this option. You'll have to download a 3rd party app, but the maxx has it built-in.

Despite these unwanted character traits of the Note3 ... it's hard to put it down because the screen is simply gorgeous. Because of the flaws, i brought the maxx back to an online status and the IT geek in me just loves the mint beauty performance of the near stock android on the maxx. Everything just pops. To answer your questions about FoxFi, it does not work on the stock Note3. I've been monitoring the blogs to see if anyone post a work around. I haven't tried it on the maxx yet.

Good luck with your decision ... Let me know what you decide.

leckert123

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
1. NFC secure element. I was a heavy ISIS user, but this feature doesn't work on the Note3. This will probably be fixed with KK whenever it is rolled out, but who knows when that will be released. Good info and thanks for it, although it's not an issue for me
2. Email client for POP servers has limits. I can only download a max of 100KB in background. Yes, I can always hit the Load Message button or buy another POP client, but Maxx allows unlimited message size downloads with the built-in client. Since, I travel a lot, I found myself double checking emails with attachments to make sure i hit the "load message" button to ensure the entire email was downloaded. I use MailDroid Pro.
3. I prefer dark background in my messaging apps (primarily email) and phone. Again, the VZW Note3 doesn't offer this option. You'll have to download a 3rd party app, but the maxx has it built-in. I actually like the light colored background for texts, but I use Handcent, which does permit a lot of customizations

Despite these unwanted character traits of the Note3 ... it's hard to put it down because the screen is simply gorgeous. Good luck with your decision ... Let me know what you decide.

My comments on your comments are above in red. I did purchase the Note3 on Friday. Yes, the screen is gorgeous. While it is a bit unwieldy one-handed, so many things are truly better with the bigger screen. Why Note3 vs Maxx? - for me it was actually a very difficult choice. Coming from iPhone 2g-->OG Moto Droid-->Moto Bionic-->new phone, I didn't want the new phone to be just an incrementally slightly bigger, slightly faster, slightly more RAM, slighty more battery life thing (again).

The Note3 felt like a more significant change and would be more future-proof than the Maxx for my needs, at least. The 3GB RAM, microSD (I've got a 64gb card in it already) plus the giant screen were the deal makers despite the fact that I really didn't want to buy a Samsung. There are definitely things I don't care for, such as TouchWiz, tacky metalized plastic chrome trim bezels, and the excessive Samsung bloatware. I have already switched to Nova Launcher, just like I used on my Bionic and am enjoying it.

The Maxx, with better build quality and great battery would have won me over if it had removable micro SD storage (or at least a 64gb option), 3GB RAM and at least a 5.2" screen. Google/Moto/HTC/LG move toward fixed storage makes zero sense when they are only willing to provide 32gb at most in their devices. 32gb is simply not enough. I didn't like the idea of having to carry a memory stick and OTG cable to watch my movies on long flights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes