so whose camera is better after update?

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody is noticing the dramatic improvements in the camera. After a variety of shots, I'm sad to say mine doesn't seem to be better. Colors still frequently washed out, and some areas still have a "faky" look to them, almost like the picture is a painting, not a photograph. Also some unnatural sharp lines around objects, like somebody traced the outside of them with a fine black line.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody is noticing the dramatic improvements in the camera. After a variety of shots, I'm sad to say mine doesn't seem to be better. Colors still frequently washed out, and some areas still have a "faky" look to them, almost like the picture is a painting, not a photograph. Also some unnatural sharp lines around objects, like somebody traced the outside of them with a fine black line.

Post some examples.

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured somebody would ask for examples :) Here are 2. The much warmer, better pictures were taken with a DSLR camera. Now I certainly expect a less quality shot with the MAXX, but to me the difference is quite striking, especially considering my old Galaxy Nexus, maligned camera and all, didn't have these same washout problems.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I should also mention that the MAXX pics I just posted look basically the same quality as they did before the update. I don't really notice a difference.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm really not that picky as long as the picture comes out as average. I think a lot of people are way more picky than I am. I think the camera is fine as is and have no complaints.

anon(26457)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the Maxx picture is MUCH better. The colors appear more accurate. The warmer DSLR picture is off on the white balance, especially in the first example.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
photography is all about lighting. shooting indoors at night is tricky, especially with a cell phone. you can't (or shouldn't) expect the camera on the phone to take great pictures indoors at night. its a phone, not a real camera. they are meant to get you buy in situations (which it did), not replace your high end cameras. keep that in mind.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree - the warmer picture on the left looks pretty bad. You're saying the one on the right is the MAXX photo? I'd say it's doing just fine for a phone camera.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I figured somebody would ask for examples :) Here are 2. The much warmer, better pictures were taken with a DSLR camera. Now I certainly expect a less quality shot with the MAXX, but to me the difference is quite striking, especially considering my old Galaxy Nexus, maligned camera and all, didn't have these same washout problems.
View attachment 90341View attachment 90342]

i like the picture on the right better where it has better lighting and not too yellow.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have gotten better pictures after the update. I find the flash works better on indoor pics now. However, the auto focus is slower.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I have gotten better pictures after the update. I find the flash works better on indoor pics now. However, the auto focus is slower.

i haven't had the flash go off at all. o_O it's on automatic. i know the led flash works cause i use it as a flashlight, but as far as taking pictures and having it go off, i haven't had that happen. it's weird because the same things i would take pictures of with my original razr maxx that would activate the flash, with the droid maxx it won't.

by the way, i don't have the update yet.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The flash wasn't going off for indoor shots when it needed to before the update if I had it set on auto. After the update with the flash set on auto, it is going off when it should. Camera still needs some tweaking but I think it is much better than it was before.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
OMG, how could anyone think the "much warmer" pictures (the left of the standing child) are better? The colors in the right picture look real and natural. If you'd asked me to guess which was the Maxx and which was a DSLR I would have said the left was a cheap cameraphone...

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I should also mention that the MAXX pics I just posted look basically the same quality as they did before the update. I don't really notice a difference.

Did you enable HDR mode on the phone by any chance?

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am going to be experimenting with the camera today but I did take this while in downtown Phoenix this morning. So far the camera seems better but I won't really know until I take some more shots.

I don't drink beer, but some of you might like this light rail picture.

Attachments

• Light rail.jpg
    Light rail.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 93

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The camera has definitely improved. Was out with a Maxx today that had not yet been updated and in compatible pictures you could see the difference.

Xxwabbit

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I was fooling around last night in the living room and I feel the low light shots are better. I wish I had some shots before and after the update to share with you. Nice shot of the train.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol