Email syncing

aypues

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello Maxx forum!

I am a current blackberry user thinking about converting to the Maxx. My only hesitation is the email syncing. I tried the LG G2 and the email was a mess. They would come in 15 mins late and there was no push email syncing like it's done on all Blackberries. I really need the email to be flawless...is it that good on the Maxx??

Thx

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Never really had any kind of problem. Even when running third-party roms like Aviator version of the stock rom.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

aypues

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it better to use a non-stock email app from the play store? Do I just need to add an email account at Verizon to see if it pushes email or not? Do you know if a 3rd party email client will work with the Active Display or whatever for notifications?

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm two months into the Android journey after a long and successful BlackBerry relationship. I was forced to a different platform by company policy.

I use Touchdown (www.nitrodesk.com) for my corporate Exchange connection so I can't speak to the native client and how it connects to Exchange.

For the native client, I've successfully set up both POP and IMAP accounts with ease. Unlike BIS on BlackBerry, the polling interval is user-adjustable. Also unlike BIS, there's a sync button for instant gratification.

The Gmail app that comes installed is likewise easy to set up and automatically assumes IMAP configuration.

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised by how smooth and consistent the Android OS handles email. I have six accounts plus the corporate account. Absolutely no problems.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Maxx since the beginning of September. I use the stock email app and have it sync'd with the exchange server at work. So far it has been flawless. In fact, I'll often get the email on my phone seconds before it shows up on my PC.

Sent from my Droid Maxx.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, flawless. Often comes in a second before I get it on the server.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

aypues

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
i'm not using Exchange. I use my own business email account with hosting by Rackspace which is IMAP. Would it still do active syncing? I guess I should just go to Verizon and test it myself to really know for sure how it will react.

On the 3rd party apps like Touchdown, how does it notify you of a new email since there is no LED on front? Is it compatible with the Active Notifications on the Maxx?

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
There is no real 'push' email on Android like it is for Blackberry outside of Gmail sync...other email accounts have to be manually polled at a user defined interval (which can be as little as every 15 minutes on the stock app or quicker on 3rd party apps).

Any application can take advantage of the Active Notifications on the Droid Maxx - you just have to have it checked 'on' in the active notifications settings.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is no real 'push' email on Android like it is for Blackberry outside of Gmail sync...other email accounts have to be manually polled at a user defined interval (which can be as little as every 15 minutes on the stock app or quicker on 3rd party apps)..

I have to confess that I haven't used it for a long time, but I believe that K9 Mail supports push for IMAP accounts that support that (e.g., IMAP IDLE).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en&token=lVeLKq3B

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have set up 5 email accounts of various types to sync on my phone. Some I need instant notification some I have set up to notify once an hour. All work well. Be aware, as I am sure you are, the faster you need to be notified the more battery power is used. But that is why we are using the MAXX.

Posted using my thumbs

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Use touchdown instead of k-9. Touchdown supports activesync.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The op doesn't need exchange activesync - just IMAP. K9 should be fine for that, if the stock client is not. (Note: I've never used the stock client.)

Touchdown supports IMAP too. But at the moment, I have yet to see a third party email app successfully integrate activesync that Touchdown had done. Not only that, all the 2010+ exchange servers use activesync.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
snip

On the 3rd party apps like Touchdown, how does it notify you of a new email since there is no LED on front? Is it compatible with the Active Notifications on the Maxx?

Touchdown is indeed compatible with Active Notification. It alerts in whatever way you configure it: vibrate, sound, or both. The Maxx has a little notification bar at the top of the screen that's virtually always visible - incoming notices are displayed there and you can swipe down from the top to expose more detail or tap to open. And the notification bar scrolls the first several lines of text if the phone isn't asleep. Touchdown conforms to these actions.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers