Google Wallet

mule0331

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I know its a touchy subject, but heres my question. I was just toying around, thought I would give Isis a look, to see what it was all about. When I searched Isis in the play store, Google Wallet popped as one of my app options. I installed it, and everything seemed to load fine, and the app seems to work. My question is, Is this something new? I thought Google wallet would not work on an Android phone through Verizon? I thought GW didnt even show up in the play store for VZW phones, am I missing something? I'm running stock software, no root.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
It's my understanding that Google Wallet's "tap to pay" feature will work on all NFC enabled phones that get upgraded to Kit Kat. While there are some people who believe this feature will still be blocked by the carriers I've read that the "tap to pay" functionality is built into Kit Kat and the carriers won't be able to disable it. Google, to their credit, came up with a clever solution which circumvents the "secure element" portion of the hardware that the carriers controlled.

While I'm no expert, I believe Google intentionally increased the number of phones that could run Google Wallet a month or so ago knowing that a solution to the carrier blocking of NFC payments was pending. I further believe that ISIS was launched nationally this week because the carriers know it's only a matter of time before Google Wallet is available to the mainstream smartphone users and this is their last gasp to try to gather support for their failed ISIS project.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that Google Wallet's "tap to pay" feature will work on all NFC enabled phones that get upgraded to Kit Kat. While there are some people who believe this feature will still be blocked by the carriers I've read that the "tap to pay" functionality is built into Kit Kat and the carriers won't be able to disable it. Google, to their credit, came up with a clever solution which circumvents the "secure element" portion of the hardware that the carriers controlled.

While I'm no expert, I believe Google intentionally increased the number of phones that could run Google Wallet a month or so ago knowing that a solution to the carrier blocking of NFC payments was pending. I further believe that ISIS was launched nationally this week because the carriers know it's only a matter of time before Google Wallet is available to the mainstream smartphone users and this is their last gasp to try to gather support for their failed ISIS project.

It could be. Remember, though, that the Droids are a contracted phone by Verizon, so it's still possible that they will insist that Motorola create a build that blocks or does not include the secure element emulation in KitKat for the Maxx/Ultra/Mini. We'll see when we get 4.4.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
It could be. Remember, though, that the Droids are a contracted phone by Verizon, so it's still possible that they will insist that Motorola create a build that blocks or does not include the secure element emulation in KitKat for the Maxx/Ultra/Mini. We'll see when we get 4.4.

I'll concede that anything's possible when Verizon's involved but I remain hopeful that Droid Maxx users will eventually get Google Wallet's "tap to pay" functionality in light of today's news that the Verizon Moto X Kit-Kat soak includes Host Card Emulation.

Nerdcorist

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll concede that anything's possible when Verizon's involved but I remain hopeful that Droid Maxx users will eventually get Google Wallet's "tap to pay" functionality in light of today's news that the Verizon Moto X Kit-Kat soak includes Host Card Emulation.

So far, it's not looking lot that will be the case. Even though 4.4 has the capability of emulating cards for Google Wallet, it seems that Google has to enable the feature on each device. I currently still can't use it on my Nexus 7 even though it has 4.4 since Google hasn't added it to their Compatible Devices list yet. And knowing Verizon, they will most likely make sure Google doesn't add any of their phones to that list either.

Posted via Android Central App

anon154738

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So far, it's not looking lot that will be the case. Even though 4.4 has the capability of emulating cards for Google Wallet, it seems that Google has to enable the feature on each device. I currently still can't use it on my Nexus 7 even though it has 4.4 since Google hasn't added it to their Compatible Devices list yet. And knowing Verizon, they will most likely make sure Google doesn't add any of their phones to that list either.

It sounds like it won't work but if you side load the n5 version of Google wallet it sounds like it will work with tap and pay . Says some guy on some comment section. Lol

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like it won't work but if you side load the n5 version of Google wallet it sounds like it will work with tap and pay . Says some guy on some comment section. Lol

There's a thread in the Moto X forum that shows a number of people have already side-loaded the Nexus 5 version of Google Wallet and they're able to use "tap to pay" on their Verizon Moto X.

Droid-Life also commented on the solution earlier today - click here

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 update to Kit Kat and now has tap to pay in Google Wallet. Hoping my Droid MAXX gets the same treatment.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

That same method should work for the Ultra/Maxx/Mini when we get the update. looking like a good time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood