please excuse my ignorance galaxy s4 versus droid max

mark5019

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
as of now im with tmobile lousy service
cant get 4g lte im thinking of going to verizon
i have to choose between gs4 or the droid max
i surf web a lot min texting lots emails.
ok give a small versions of pros versus negs if possible

thank you

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Pro for the Maxx would be the battery. My wife has the S4 and I have a Maxx I always outlast her with battery (way outlast) and I use my phone more than she does. As far as the email and texting that would probably be a wash they both can handle that with ease.

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Size​
The two phones are nearly identical in size. The only significant difference is that the Droid Maxx is nine percent thicker than the svelte GS4.
Weight​
There are heavier phones than the Droid Maxx, but a featherweight it is not. It tips the scales at a full 28 percent heavier than the Galaxy S4.
Build​
The Droid Maxx sticks with the kevlar build that Motorola has been using for its Droid Razr line for the last couple of years. Here it's covering more of the phone than ever. (kevlar is a really strong and tough material)
Display​
Both displays give you the same spacious 5-inch layout, but the Galaxy S4 is much sharper. The Droid Maxx's 294 pixels per inch should make for a pretty sharp screen, but that's still a fairly low number for a high-end 2013 Smartphone.
Processor​
The Motorola X8 is the branding for the system-on-a-chip in the new Droid phones, but the processor is (according to Ars Technica) a slight variation of a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, which was featured in several high-end handsets in late 2012.
Who Won​
So the GS4 wins this round. But let's keep this in perspective: both phones blow away the fastest phones from just a couple of years ago, and will be plenty fast for most users.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Size​
The two phones are nearly identical in size. The only significant difference is that the Droid Maxx is nine percent thicker than the svelte GS4.
Weight​
There are heavier phones than the Droid Maxx, but a featherweight it is not. It tips the scales at a full 28 percent heavier than the Galaxy S4.
Build​
The Droid Maxx sticks with the kevlar build that Motorola has been using for its Droid Razr line for the last couple of years. Here it's covering more of the phone than ever. (kevlar is a really strong and tough material)
Display​
Both displays give you the same spacious 5-inch layout, but the Galaxy S4 is much sharper. The Droid Maxx's 294 pixels per inch should make for a pretty sharp screen, but that's still a fairly low number for a high-end 2013 Smartphone.
Processor​
The Motorola X8 is the branding for the system-on-a-chip in the new Droid phones, but the processor is (according to Ars Technica) a slight variation of a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, which was featured in several high-end handsets in late 2012.
Who Won​
So the GS4 wins this round. But let's keep this in perspective: both phones blow away the fastest phones from just a couple of years ago, and will be plenty fast for most users.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a lot of this. First of all people have reported being either not able to tell the difference in the resolutions of the screens, or even that the Maxx screen looks better in spite of the higher res on the GS4. So go look at them yourself if this is an issue. Review after review says the Maxx has an excellent screen (and I agree).

The GS4 may have a better benchmarking processor, but few people notice any kind of issues with the Maxx's processing power. It's fast and smooth. Beyond that, it's smart, so you benefit from the "always listening" features, among others. The Maxx also has less to process, since it's closer to stock Android. It's like if a car has an extra 50 hp, but weighs an extra 500lbs. It's questionable if it will be faster.

IMO, the real life user experience of the Maxx beats the GS4. Between never having to think about your battery, to the wonderfully useful always listening features, to the just overall fast & smooth experience, it's excellent. I think the GS4 can be had cheaper, so if I were to get it, that would be why.

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a lot of this. First of all people have reported being either not able to tell the difference in the resolutions of the screens, or even that the Maxx screen looks better in spite of the higher res on the GS4. So go look at them yourself if this is an issue. Review after review says the Maxx has an excellent screen (and I agree).

The GS4 may have a better benchmarking processor, but few people notice any kind of issues with the Maxx's processing power. It's fast and smooth. Beyond that, it's smart, so you benefit from the "always listening" features, among others. The Maxx also has less to process, since it's closer to stock Android. It's like if a car has an extra 50 hp, but weighs an extra 500lbs. It's questionable if it will be faster.

IMO, the real life user experience of the Maxx beats the GS4. Between never having to think about your battery, to the wonderfully useful always listening features, to the just overall fast & smooth experience, it's excellent. I think the GS4 can be had cheaper, so if I were to get it, that would be why.

what i wrote was just based off of statistics that the two had lited

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

To add to this, there are still reports of lag on the S4. Not to be found on the Maxx. And the screen on the Maxx is just as good to the average user.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
To add to this, there are still reports of lag on the S4. Not to be found on the Maxx. And the screen on the Maxx is just as good to the average user.

I would recommend the Maxx based on battery life alone. My few friends with an S4 constantly complain Bout battery life so if you're a heavy user avoid the S4.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Size​
Weight​
Build​
Display​
Processor​
Who Won​

People really are overselling the virtures of the kevlar implemented on this phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
People really are overselling the virtures of the kevlar implemented on this phone.

The Kevlar is for nothing more than looks and to allow a better looking non removable back cover. Its durability is great for normal use but it won't do a thing when you drop your phone. It seems as if many think it makes the phone indestructible but what are you doing to your phone? I have real Kevlar gloves made by Galls but those aren't indestructible.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The Kevlar is for nothing more than looks and to allow a better looking non removable back cover. Its durability is great for normal use but it won't do a thing when you drop your phone. It seems as if many think it makes the phone indestructible but what are you doing to your phone? I have real Kevlar gloves made by Galls but those aren't indestructible.

EXACTLY! People who think the kevlar on this phone is magic that makes it nearly indestructable don't understand physics or how kevlar works.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
EXACTLY! People who think the kevlar on this phone is magic that makes it nearly indestructable don't understand physics or how kevlar works.

Kevlar vests will stop bullets by spreading out the impact through multiple layers of fibers. This same vest won't stop a knife.

What's Kevlar, DuPont Kevlar on a phone supposed to do? Put a case on the phone. Lol

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I would get the Maxx. Having a battery like this changes how you use a phone. You can leave everything on and not kill the battery. The phone is very smooth so I would not worry about the specs. I was focused on specs but I don't do anything that is so draining where the phone sputters. What is the point of having a great device is you have to kill all the services to get through the day.

Posted via Android Central App

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Forget specs, they just don't matter 10 minutes after you own the phone. Except for this battery, which is truly a game changer.

What does matter? The new interfaces: Touchless, Active, Camera, etc. These are also game changers. When driving, I nearly just talk to my phone. Camera is the quickest out now, just a flip of the wrist, hit the screen and you've got it! To just touch the phone and have the time pop up...way cool. And Moto still has the best radios...so you don't drop calls.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Processor​

This processor is severely underrated. True its an S4 processor, but its an S4 processor at its maximum potential with 4 more cores dedicated graphics and 2 more cores for listening. Bench mark scores are skewed because of that.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
that is because kevlar is used in bullet proof vests and it can take a bullet from a m9 to a small assult rifle such as the M4 Carbine

Yep, but that means nothing on a cell phone. It's all marketing speak, it looks good and makes for a nice buzzword when talking about the features, but it adds no level of durability to the phone.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep, but that means nothing on a cell phone. It's all marketing speak, it looks good and makes for a nice buzzword when talking about the features, but it adds no level of durability to the phone.

I wonder.....If I had my Maxx in my shirt pocket and took a bullet from a bad guy in THAT shirt pocket.....ehhhh never mind. LOL.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, durability matters mainly in 2 areas on phones: finish and glass. The kevlar does seem to hold up well as a finish, which helps appearance, but it's not really a real-world advantage over a plastic housing, except for feeling and looking nicer. The real thing that needs every bit of durability advantage on a phone is the glass, and while we have gorilla glass, it doesn't make the phone massively more resistant to breakage than most other phones. And I wouldn't count on it stopping a bullet, though I may be a hair more hopeful than with a plastic bodied phone. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci