Recovering addict

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
So I have a new phone addiction. I buy every new phone that comes out. I use it for a couple months then buy the next one. I see all these people that keep they're phones doe a year, 2 years, 4 years. How do you stick with one phone and not always have the latest and greatest?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that most of the people who do that don't have or don't want to spend all that money.
You're not alone though, a lot of people here like to upgrade frequently to have the latest and greatest too :)

Posted via Android Central App

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I use to do that when Android and iOS were still fresh on the market and new phones always had some new feature I needed. but since the Galaxy S3, I've stuck to one phone per year just because the things work so well. And going from a Note 2 to this phone has made me want to keep this one for even longer. As long as this battery keeps going, I'm willing to stick with it as long as possible.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Not having the money to spend on a new phone helps. Plus, once I get my phone set up the way I like it, changing is a PITA. That's one reason why I don't root. I am not "afraid" of rooting, but I don't have time to try out various ROMs, go through rebuilding and retweaking my phone, etc.

With Verizon, the new phone choice also means choosing to pay full retail to keep unlimited data, or going through a bunch of hoops to keep it.

My phone is a tool that helps me manage and simplify things in my life. Swapping phones often does not equate to "simple"

Posted from my XT1080M

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would like a new phone once a year but I cannot afford to buy the phones outright since I always like the most expensive phones.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Not having the money to spend on a new phone helps. Plus, once I get my phone set up the way I like it, changing is a PITA. That's one reason why I don't root. I am not "afraid" of rooting, but I don't have time to try out various ROMs, go through rebuilding and retweaking my phone, etc.

With Verizon, the new phone choice also means choosing to pay full retail to keep unlimited data, or going through a bunch of hoops to keep it.

My phone is a tool that helps me manage and simplify things in my life. Swapping phones often does not equate to "simple"

Posted from my XT1080M

It is definitely a PITA to set everything up every couple of months. It has not been a deterrent so far but it is definitely helping me decide to stick with the maxx. I'm not rich but I can afford to float a new phone while I wait to sell the old one. But I still take a loss of some kind and its getting old. I just love having the best that's available. Ironically I switched to the maxx with a lower specs than the G2.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I want one of everything. I'd be a total phone hoarder if I could. My problem with selling old for new is I get attached to almost everything I own. So it's fortunate that I don't have the money to buy lots of excess phones because I'd never get rid of them.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that most of the people who do that don't have or don't want to spend all that money.
You're not alone though, a lot of people here like to upgrade frequently to have the latest and greatest too :)

Posted via Android Central App

Yet I still spend the money. I have to stop doing that. Every time I think I'm on my road to recovery I relapse.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
With the high quality of phones that have been coming out lately, I find that I can easily go about 1 year before I get the itch to upgrade. I've had my Maxx since the 1st week it came out, and I'm still happy as can be with it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my Maxx a few weeks after release and I am still crazy about mine too ... and with KitKat being released today for soakers, things look even brighter!

RexMaximus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Staggered update. It's likely the soak testers and maybe some random VZW customers will get it first.

Posted via Android Central App and Droid Mini

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
For some, people either keep or replace their phones based on the features of a new phone. I think it's be particularly "difficult" this year because we have had waterproof phones (Sony), "premium build" phones (HTC), feature-packed phones (G2/S4), cheap phones (Moto G/Nexus 5), and some other phones that have a few new features but also stick to a solid, tried and true formula (Maxx and Moto X).

I've gotten a few devices this year just to test out these different features, but I think phones are built so well now that it's not unreasonable to stick with one, particularly these Motorola devices seeing as how they are being supported so well.

Probably really comes down to priorities and money though, and many don't want to dish out the money or spend the time to find a cheaper (used) device when they are content with their current one.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For some, people either keep or replace their phones based on the features of a new phone. I think it's be particularly "difficult" this year because we have had waterproof phones (Sony), "premium build" phones (HTC), feature-packed phones (G2/S4), cheap phones (Moto G/Nexus 5), and some other phones that have a few new features but also stick to a solid, tried and true formula (Maxx and Moto X).

I've gotten a few devices this year just to test out these different features, but I think phones are built so well now that it's not unreasonable to stick with one, particularly these Motorola devices seeing as how they are being supported so well.

Probably really comes down to priorities and money though, and many don't want to dish out the money or spend the time to find a cheaper (used) device when they are content with their current one.

With taxes my Nexus 5 was over $400. I wouldn't call that cheap because I'm not rich. It's less than $700 but it's not $200 (Moto G) either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just love having the best that's available. Ironically I switched to the maxx with a lower specs than the G2.

"Newest specs/highest specs" don't always mean "best." My job supplies iPhones for corporate mobile use, which fits their usage and security needs, but that doesn't mean the iPhone (even the 5) is "best" for me. I chose the Maxx for a combination of things - battery life, on-board memory, screen size, and "near stock" Android experience. I looked hard at the S4 and the LTE Commando. After about 3 days with the Maxx, I never had any second thoughts.