Apps that don't work (or don't work right) on Kit Kat

phissure

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
For those that are pondering the switch I'd like to start a thread so people can see which apps work and don't work (or kind of work). I'll try to update this thread when others post issues.

Updated: 14JAN2014

Launchers:

Apex Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it.

Nova Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it. (skatergirl)

Apps

Chomp SMS: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (Billy Sweeney)

EasyTether: See FoxFi.

Fancy Widgets: Selecting the forecast on the widget opens the full weather app but now it's overlaying my default screen. Also, pressing the hour on the clock no longer opens the alarm app. (Lyle J)

FoxFi: No more wifi tethering. They say that it will not work with Kit Kat. This may change in the future if they figure out a way to make it work. You must use bluetooth or USB tethering.

Go SMS: showing my sent texts twice, but recipient correctly gets only one (pappy53)

GSam Battery Monitor: Doesn't Work (pappy53)

Hancent: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back. Double sends texts.(skatergirl) UPDATE: App updated

Rainy Days: Double tap zoom doesn't work (lmdroid)

Last edited:

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wakelock Detector and gsam battery monitor didn't work on moto x with kit kat. I assume they won't work on the maxx (not that you'll need them).

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
actually handcent works... just messages are all dated december 31, 1969 and it will reorder your messages with mms showing up as persistently the newest thing you've received. switched to go sms for now, which is working well.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
actually handcent works... just messages are all dated december 31, 1969 and it will reorder your messages with mms showing up as persistently the newest thing you've received. switched to go sms for now, which is working well.

Same on mine for Handcent. Grrr. Only workaround I found is to delete all the picture messages, but that is tedious at best and shouldn't be necessary. :(

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It will just take a little time for the developers to update the apps.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Same on mine for Handcent. Grrr. Only workaround I found is to delete all the picture messages, but that is tedious at best and shouldn't be necessary. :(

I am emailing back and forth with the Handcent developers. Hopefully they figure it out. I like the Handcent features and don't want to be stuck with Hangouts. I also don't want to delete all my threads in Handcent just so I can find all my new messages.

Posted via Android Central App

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried Textra? Does it have the same issues as Handcent or Chomp SMS? (I don't have KK yet... )

That's the app I use for texting - clean look (including a dark theme) and very fast. Not as many customization options as the others, but looks good out of the box. The stock SMS app is one of the few disappointments on this phone.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I am emailing back and forth with the Handcent developers. Hopefully they figure it out. I like the Handcent features and don't want to be stuck with Hangouts. I also don't want to delete all my threads in Handcent just so I can find all my new messages.

Posted via Android Central App

Awesome. Hopefully they get it fixed fast. I'd much rather be using handcent. Add of right now I'm using Textra. It's alright, but I miss the customization of handcent. Textra isn't having the issues though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

FWIW, the stock text messaging app from 4.2.2 is still around. Hangouts is just an option.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
For those that are pondering the switch I'd like to start a thread so people can see which apps work and don't work (or kind of work). I'll try to update this thread when others post issues.

Launchers:

Apex Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it.

Nova Launcher: Pushing home key acts like a double tap. Disable the home key action to fix it. (skatergirl)

Apps

Chomp SMS: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (Billy Sweeney)

FoxFi: No more tethering

Go SMS: showing my sent texts twice, but recipient correctly gets only one (pappy53)

GSam Battery Monitor: Doesn't Work (pappy53)

Hancent: Can send txts with it, but it wont show the txt i sent or the txt responses I get back (skatergirl)

Rainy Days: Double tap zoom doesn't work (lmdroid)

Good thread idea.

Broke native tethering for those us who did the moto root method.

Broke motoroot (for those of us who never uninstalled it). It had continued working after the last update.

Need dat tethering back asap (ideally for free).

Sent from my DROID MAXX

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried Textra? Does it have the same issues as Handcent or Chomp SMS? (I don't have KK yet... )

That's the app I use for texting - clean look (including a dark theme) and very fast. Not as many customization options as the others, but looks good out of the box. The stock SMS app is one of the few disappointments on this phone.

I just stated using Textra. It doesn't have all that Handcent has, but it is much better than Hangouts.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

YES!!! Its very annoying! Hope they get that taken care of. Wasn't sure why that was suddenly happening until I figured it was KK. Glad to hear its been reported to Handcent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1