KitKat & Battery Life

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If you switch to ART and then switch back, is it a long process or is it as simple as switching messaging apps?

The switch from Dalvik to ART or backwards requires a reboot and Dalvik->ART reboot takes about 5-10 min because the system has to rebuild all apps. I dont know who long ART->Dalvik reboot takes as I've never done it

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The switch from Dalvik to ART or backwards requires a reboot and Dalvik->ART reboot takes about 5-10 min because the system has to rebuild all apps. I dont know who long ART->Dalvik reboot takes as I've never done it
I've done it twice and it rebuilds the apps faster going from ART back to Dalvik

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having just horrid battery life with the 4.4 update?? I switched my apps to art about 3 or 4 days after I got my update and even with the other option I haven't gotten more than a 1 day and 10 hours on it. Before the update, I was close to averaging 2 days on a single charge. Took a major hit with 4.4. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

Posted via Android Central App

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having just horrid battery life with the 4.4 update?? I switched my apps to art about 3 or 4 days after I got my update and even with the other option I haven't gotten more than a 1 day and 10 hours on it. Before the update, I was close to averaging 2 days on a single charge. Took a major hit with 4.4. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

My X's battery life took a big hit with KK (from 16+ hours and down to 20%battery to 10 hours and 15% battery). I returned it because of the battery hit. I'm assuming my Maxx will take the same hit (unless they go straight to 4.4.2).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I am as well. I'm probably losing close to an additional 1% an hour since the update. I haven't had time to do a factory reset; I should get time Monday, so that's probably the plan to see if that helps.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
After my first full day with Kit Kat, battery life is considerably worse than JB but I've read that I should wait a minimum of 3 days after upgrade before assessing battery life. My biggest drain in apps is kernel, Google Music and media server. Those three apps account for approximately 45% of the 65% battery usage for apps.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. Glad to know I'm not the only one that's having issues here. To me it looks like the update roll out has stopped, hopefully Moto is fixing the problems that I, and a lot of other people have made them aware of during the soak.

I'm not having any issues with the above apps listed, my biggest new consume is the os itself. It never used to be n the 20% range before KK, now it constantly hovers around 25%, I know the reset is a good way to check things, but I really want to avoid doing the factory reset. I already cleared the partition cache once.

Another big factor is signal strength, its significantly less in KK than n JB, which means the phone is looking harder for a signal, same deal applies for WiFi for me too.

Hope they issue a bug fix asap.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Another big factor is signal strength, its significantly less in KK than n JB, which means the phone is looking harder for a signal, same deal applies for WiFi for me too.

Are you measuring signal strength by the bars in the status bar or by the actual signal in settings / about phone / status / network type & strength? Bars mean little; don't go by that. If the latter, I'd be very surprised if it was any different from before. The update won't change the physical radio or antenna, and the signal should be exactly the same. It would only be possible that the firmware would get better, not worse.

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Your battery will return to normal (long life) after a bit. I received the update day one. Just got 61 hours out of the battery with mod usage. Hang in there it will get better.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app