Tracking kitkat: on Motorola Droid MAXX

Michael Donheiser

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tracking kitkat:

I got the zip file. I used recovery mode to install kitkat. after I booted it up, all the bloatware I had previously had disabled has dissappeared from my list of installed apps. weird!!!

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

That link works in guiding you to the download file. Below are the base instructions swiped from the above link that I modified to make it smoother, because if you miss something obvious, you'll be wondering what is wrong.

1) download file to PC
2) extract zip file to your desktop.
3) once extracted, locate the Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file
4) hook your phone to your PC and create a folder called "sdcard"
5) move Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file into the "sdcard" folder.
6) rename this zip file "update.zip" (this step is probably optional, but just go with it.)
7) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
8) wait for the green robot to show up with red triangle "!"
9) hold VOLUP and press PWR
10) select boot from SDcard, then navigate to the "update.zip" file and select it
11) phone reboots like nothing happened. This is OK.
12) repeat steps 8 through 10 (text on screen will be bigger this time around.)
13) reboot again when prompted and KitKat is installed.

Upon booting up a KitKatted MAXX for the first time, you'll likely be prompted to go to Google Play and update some apps. For me that included Touchless Control and Motorola Connect.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

What is the risk in doing this?

That link works in guiding you to the download file. Below are the base instructions swiped from the above link that I modified to make it smoother, because if you miss something obvious, you'll be wondering what is wrong.

1) download file to PC
3) once extracted, locate the Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file
5) move Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US zip file into the "sdcard" folder.
6) rename this zip file "update.zip" (this step is probably optional, but just go with it.)
7) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
10) select boot from SDcard, then navigate to the "update.zip" file and select it

Upon booting up a KitKatted MAXX for the first time, you'll likely be prompted to go to Google Play and update some apps. For me that included Touchless Control and Motorola Connect.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

I got the zip file. I used recovery mode to install kitkat. after I booted it up, all the bloatware I had previously had disabled has dissappeared from my list of installed apps. weird!!!

There is now a separate disabled app location. When you go into the app menu in settings, scroll all the way to the right.

Posted via Android Central App

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

What is the risk in doing this?

Nothing really. Of course I am not rooted so if you are rooted you may want to do extra research. But if you aren't rooted then this updates your OS with no issues at all. I did it tonight and it is working like a charm.

anon154738

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

1) download file to PC

Dude I've been waiting for these instructions! Thank you! I've done this with Nexus devises and didn't know you could do the same with others. Ironically I feel a little chicken to do it now, can this go wrong? Also you used to have to put the update on the root of the SD card, but with this set up you're saying to create a folder called "sdcard"? Is that the same thing?

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

If we are rooted on 4.2.2 w/ pwnmymoto how can we update and have root?

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Dude I've been waiting for these instructions! Thank you! I've done this with Nexus devises and didn't know you could do the same with others. Ironically I feel a little chicken to do it now, can this go wrong? Also you used to have to put the update on the root of the SD card, but with this set up you're saying to create a folder called "sdcard"? Is that the same thing?

Did it work?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

That is probably optional too but I just did it anyway. Mainly cause it was easier for me to find and delete once the update is done as I no longer needed the file.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Any way to download this without giving someone my credit card info? Anyone have another link?

Thanks...

Did you click on the wrong link? I didn't have to give any of that info. (Nor would I, but anyways...) Maybe re-check what you click on?

cheek813

May 7, 2010
Visit site

How big is the blur file (update.zip) ? Just want to make sure everything is right before I do this. The one I have is 503 mb's.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Did you click on the wrong link? I didn't have to give any of that info. (Nor would I, but anyways...) Maybe re-check what you click on?

Pretty sure I did. When I click on the link from XDA, it takes me to another page with 3 other links that say download. I tried all 3. None worked. Could've been the proxy server at work messing things up. Have to try it at home when I have a chance.

EDIT: Looks like it was the proxy at work. Started the download at home with no issue...

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Last edited:

jhlinka

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone had experience in upgrading to kitkat when rooted on 4.2 w/ MotoRoot? When I accepted the camera update I stayed rooted, just wanted to know if anyone had issues. Still on Jellybean

anon154738

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've updated manually and everything is great, but it seems that active notifications has not updated like it was supposed to due to lag with kit kat. I tried to use the link provided by Android Central and it brings me to the app in the play store but will not let me install. Anyone have the same issue, or have any advice? There's definitely lag when unlocking now, you may not have noticed if you got the ota since your active notifications was probably updated along with it.