How's the Droid MAXX holding up?

cplively

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm strongly considering going with a Droid MAXX for my next phone. I haven't used one yet, but I have used a relatives MOTO X while they were in town a little for the holidays and I'm very impressed. I've read good things about the MAXX and the large battery is a major selling point for me.

4.4 updates software updates aside, I'm curious how the phone is holding up for everyone? Are you still happy you went with the MAXX over the competition?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy as a clam... whatever that means. The phone trounces my GNex in speed, battery, & screen size.

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Love the Maxx, still on 4.2 and that's OK. Trusted Bluetooth, active display, built in hands free functionality (OK Google Now) with nearly stock android plus killer battery life this phone is a winner. Would buy it again and I have never said that about any android phone. (this is my 5th Android device starting with OG Droid back in the day)

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine is holding up great. Still works like the day I bought it. I have no complaints whatsoever. I am more than likely going to get the newer version of this phone when I am do for an update. I had the lg g2 but returned it for this instead.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't be happier with an android phone. The best of both worlds....screen size of the Galaxy S4 with the useful functionality of the Moto X. Throw the best battery EVER and you have the perfect device.

-Shawn
Posted via Android Central App

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I like to think of the Maxx as the best kept secret. As people have said, it's great to not have to worry about battery life! No extra chargers in your car, in your office, living room, bathroom, etc... Just charge nightly and if you forget don't worry, you've got battery to spare!
About a week ago, a friend told me his new Nexus 5 was the best phone out. We compared specs and even downloaded the same apps to run a few test. The DROID Maxx out performed the nexus 5 in all test! Let me repeat... ALL TEST! A few times with limited load the Nexus 5 was faster, but as soon as multiple task were simultaneously performed, the Nexus 5 heated up. Most importantly, battery life impeded the ability of the Nexus to be used to the same capacity of the DROID Maxx. Our conclusion was that the X8 chip was the real winner. If your wondering... "Open mic" was the nexus battery killer, and multiple Tasker animations at the same time nearly brought the nexus to its knees!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
At this point the response is pretty clear, but I will add my kudos as well. I love my Maxx for the same reason as most here.

The battery life cannot be bragged about enough. I charge at night only, leave all functions on, and use my phone liberally. Most days I still have half my battery. I have not killed my battery yet, and I watch a fair amount of Netflix and use GPS frequently too. Finally being able use all the features of my phone without having to worry is awesome.

I love active notifications and always listening functionality too. I got mine at launch, and this is the phone I would buy still. I don't see anything on the horizon that will change that opinion in the next few months.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Having started with the HTC Thunderbolt, I thought I wanted a removable battery and an SD Card. I also wanted a ruggedized phone; I wanted the 4G Commando to be better than it was in terms of specs, and actual performance.

When the Maxx came out, and I started following it here, I decided to go for it, in spite of it not fitting what I *THOUGHT* I wanted. The ONLY feature I miss from my Thunderbolt is the FM Radio tuner.

But the battery life, and the well-deserved Motorola reputation for good radios are more than enough to make up for lack of an FM radio. Having unlimited data helps because I can use TuneIn to listen to radio.

The lack of an SD card has turned out to be a non-issue.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
There actually IS an SD card. They just call it a SIM card on the Maxx. When you link the phone with your computer you will see the folders listed exactly the same as they were when they were on an external SD card. The SIM card can be removed, although you can't read it with a card reader. The advantage of the SIM card is it can be programmed for use internationally, & by combining the SIM card & SD card Motorola has saved space thus allowing for a smaller overall size. I think you can change the SIM card if you want to use your phone with another carrier too. The files can be transferred to your desktop computer and then transferred back to a new card with no problem.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm strongly considering going with a Droid MAXX for my next phone. I haven't used one yet, but I have used a relatives MOTO X while they were in town a little for the holidays and I'm very impressed. I've read good things about the MAXX and the large battery is a major selling point for me.

4.4 updates software updates aside, I'm curious how the phone is holding up for everyone? Are you still happy you went with the MAXX over the competition?
I wouldn't own any phone but a Motorola. If you watch these threads you'll find there is a loyal Motorola following. My Maxx replaced a Droid X, & the Maxx does circles around the X. Beware. Motorola also made a Droid Razr Maxx. Other than the name the 2 phones have little in common. There is an entire family of Razr phones, but none are related to the phones that don't have Razr in the name. The Razr phones were built by Motorola before Google bought the company. The new line of Droid Mini, Ultra, & Maxx phones are all since Google took over. With Google owning Motorola you have the best of both worlds. The latest in hardware technology with the latest Android technology. Sound performance, safer browsing with Chrome, and lots of built in tools. It is very unlikely that you will be disappointed with the Maxx. And just in case you were wondering, I don't work for Motorola or Google, and never have. Good luck with your decision.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
There actually IS an SD card. They just call it a SIM card on the Maxx. When you link the phone with your computer you will see the folders listed exactly the same as they were when they were on an external SD card. The SIM card can be removed, although you can't read it with a card reader. The advantage of the SIM card is it can be programmed for use internationally, & by combining the SIM card & SD card Motorola has saved space thus allowing for a smaller overall size. I think you can change the SIM card if you want to use your phone with another carrier too. The files can be transferred to your desktop computer and then transferred back to a new card with no problem.

A Sim card and an SD card are completely differently things.

An SD card is a memory card which Android can store user data on.

A SIM card is more like an identification card. It is tied to your account and identifies a device to your carrier as yours. A SIM card does have a small amount on memory but is not intended for user data other then your contacts list.

The folders you see when you connect your phone to a computer are stored on the phones internal memory chips. The Maxx has 32GB of internal ROM.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Best phone on market.

If the Droid Maxx were available on all carriers I believe it would outsell most phones. Don't believe all the spec hype, it runs circles around my Note 2. Also? a big plus for the wireless charging, not that it needs it much.

Update...upgraded to 4.4 with absolutely no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is certainly a great piece of hardware, and I definitely would have upgraded to it had I stuck with Verizon. The Android 4.4 update issues are a little concerning--I heard there were some significant problems that arose during the soak test. Hopefully, that gets corrected soon, and isn't a harbinger of future update issues ...

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy as a clam... whatever that means.
The saying started out as "happy as a clam at high tide." This makes a lot of sense, since clams can then feed with impunity and not worry about predatory clam diggers. The shortened form is snappier, perhaps, but doesn't mean much. That's the thing about idioms -- they're so familiar we don't notice if they're meaningless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech