Third Party Notifications Vibrate

CattieBrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or do all third party app notifications vibrate with the alert? Or do I just have notifications turned on for apps that don't seem to control this properly? This is starting to drive me crazy again.

When I go into settings, then to sound, vibrate when ringing is not checked. Is there anywhere else where I could turn this off that I am missing? Is there somewhere in the app or apps in question where I should be able to turn vibrate off? I know there are other apps that do this, or have done this in the past, but tonight the one that is really bothering me right now is Weight Watchers Mobile. I had turned the notifications off for a while because it was bothering me, but I really need the reminders.

I am running Kit Kat 4.4, if that makes a difference, but I know it was happening before on 4.2.2 as well.

TIA - I appreciate any advice or assistance that anyone can offer.

(FYI, I posted this exact question, word for word, at the Motorola Forums.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, each app that vibrates for notification will have that as a setting in their own notification options. For example, in the gmail app, menu / settings, touch your gmail account name, and you'll see a setting "Inbox sound & vibrate" where you control vibration for the notifications on that gmail account.

Check the settings for each app that has notification vibrations.

CattieBrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I found your example in my Gmail, but I can't find anything similar in the WW app. :( I emailed them last night, so hopefully I can suggest an update when someone gets back to me.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you have your phone set to vibrate only, every notification, regardless of setting in the app, will vibrate upon the reception of the notification.

CattieBrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have your phone set to vibrate only, every notification, regardless of setting in the app, will vibrate upon the reception of the notification.

That is not the case. I am getting a notification by both sound and vibration at the same time. I don't really need or want my phone to vibrate when it's sitting on my desk or a table across the room.

Is the separate authority for app alerts vs calls something new with Jelly Bean or does it have something to do with what little Motorola does change in Android? I don't remember my GNex doing this.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Notifications was one thing I really liked about my Blackberry (the legacy BBOS, not the new BB10). Notifications were managed by a notification manager (rather than settings in the application), where you could define customized profiles where you could specify the desired sound and/or vibration pattern for each application that would apply when that profile was active. There were several built-in profiles, such as Silent or Vibrate, but these were just predefined profiles rather than special modes, and you could modify them if you wanted to. You could do things like "clone" a particular profile and then make tweaks to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang