Three issues with my Maxx after kit kat update. WIFI and SMS, and Wireless charging

chauncycat

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My wifi will work one time. Once the phone goes to sleep, it will stay attached to the network, but no communication takes place. . example. When I am at work, I'm attached to OFFICEROUTER. When I drive home, it will attach to HOMEROUTER, however it will not communicate, will not pull emial, will not update widgets, etc until I disconnect and reconnect. Then it will only work until the phone goes to sleep.

I'm also having issues with SMS group messages. They are not moving up on the list by date. Normally all recent texts are appearing at the top like they should, however my group messages are displaying anywhere from three weeks ago to 2 months ago. Almost like it is frozen in the date that the group message started.

Wireless charging! The noise is sooooooooooooo loud now. It makes it very tough to take my phone off my charging pad, and put it back on the charger when I have to make sure my wife doesn't wake up. It is max volume, and that really annoying noise that I can't figure out how to mute or turn off. Her S4 is silent when it starts to charge, and due to my job, I have to sometimes take phone calls at odd times, and when I go back to charge my phone, it screams and wakes her up.

I can deal with the group messages, and the wireless charger, but my WIFI not working is incredibly annoying. I've had the wifi turned off since day 2 of kitkat, and I've already racked up 11 gig of data usage. :(

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't do wireless so cannot help there. But one thing that may help with WiFi is the app smart WiFi I use it and have no issues at all. I cannot help with SMS. I don't do group SMS much.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My wifi will work one time. Once the phone goes to sleep, it will stay attached to the network, but no communication takes place. . example. When I am at work, I'm attached to OFFICEROUTER. When I drive home, it will attach to HOMEROUTER, however it will not communicate, will not pull emial, will not update widgets, etc until I disconnect and reconnect. Then it will only work until the phone goes to sleep. (

This has been happening off and on with my phone, but since the beginning. Usually a toggle of WiFi off and on will solve it. That's pretty easy to do - either two finger swipe down from notification bar, or hit the settings icon in the top right of the normal notification shade. Long-pressing the WiFi icon will toggle the radio.

However, mine works almost all of the time. I'd look at the WiFi settings if I were you. Go into settings, hit WiFi. Hit the menu control bottom right, then advanced. Try turning on "Keep Wi-Fo on during sleep" if it's off. Turn off "avoid poor connections", or turn it on if it's off. Turn off "Wi-Fi optimization", or turn it on if it's off. Try changing "Wi-Fi frequency band" to 2.4 GHz only. See if any of those helps keep a connection.

Robert Schertzer

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My wifi will work one time. Once the phone goes to sleep, it will stay attached to the network, but no communication takes place. . example. When I am at work, I'm attached to OFFICEROUTER. When I drive home, it will attach to HOMEROUTER, however it will not communicate, will not pull emial, will not update widgets, etc until I disconnect and reconnect. Then it will only work until the phone goes to sleep.

I'm also having issues with SMS group messages. They are not moving up on the list by date. Normally all recent texts are appearing at the top like they should, however my group messages are displaying anywhere from three weeks ago to 2 months ago. Almost like it is frozen in the date that the group message started.

Wireless charging! The noise is sooooooooooooo loud now. It makes it very tough to take my phone off my charging pad, and put it back on the charger when I have to make sure my wife doesn't wake up. It is max volume, and that really annoying noise that I can't figure out how to mute or turn off. Her S4 is silent when it starts to charge, and due to my job, I have to sometimes take phone calls at odd times, and when I go back to charge my phone, it screams and wakes her up.

I can deal with the group messages, and the wireless charger, but my WIFI not working is incredibly annoying. I've had the wifi turned off since day 2 of kitkat, and I've already racked up 11 gig of data usage. :(

Robert Schertzer

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My issue with the wireless charging since the update to kit Kat is even more annoying. Not only is the alert sound much louder, something they had fixed in a Jelly Bean update but it's reared its ugly head again....but the wireless charge alert sounds, then it sounds again, and again, and again...I have to reboot the droid maxx whenever I put it on the pad to charge or else the alert goes on incessantly. It makes me want to consider getting a different phone.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My wireless charging sound went away with kitkat update. Surprised others are still hearing it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I haven't had issues with #1, but have dealt with both #2 and #3. Don't know what to do about the loud wireless charging sound (it is annoying), but on the group text, delete the one you are having an issue with. When the new one comes in from the group, it will have the correct date (I had one that kept going back to Jan 11 for some reason, deleted it and all is back to normal now)

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
For the wireless charging noise issue - if you use Assist/Sleep and set it to silent during the hours you want it to be, it will be silent.

chauncycat

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the help guys!

Assist - silent took care of the wireless charging.

I deleted the group messages (they are called threads on the phone) and they are now appearing at the top in chronological order

I never knew that I could two finger swipe to get to the quick settings! Thank you for that tip. While that is the quick work around for when I need to use chrome, it is still not allowing my wifi to work automatically. I still have to cycle it off and on whenever I need to use the internet. Now my google music sync, emails, etc are not being delivered while attached to the wifi because there is no data transmission.

I have hard reset, cleared the cache through the boot menu and even did a wipe of the phone. Still experiencing no communication from the wifi networks after the phone goes to sleep. I must turn off wifi, and turn it back on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Still experiencing no communication from the wifi networks after the phone goes to sleep. I must turn off wifi, and turn it back on.

Did you try changing any of the advanced WiFi settings?

Another idea is to adjust the settings of your home router. Try setting it to 2.4 GHz if it's at 5. Try setting it to a specific channel (most people use 1, 6, and 11 with 2.4 GHz because WiFi actually spans channels, and separating by 5 ensures that you are getting not interference that you might see on the ones in between.) If you have a router that is using WPA security with TKIP, try changing to WPA2, or change TKIP to AES. Or see if there is a firmware update for the router - sometimes that fixes problems. No, it's not unheard of for only one device on a WiFi network to be affected by some of the router settings - just because other devices work well, it doesn't mean that there isn't a fixable problem.

Good luck.

anon(7873)

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
My wifi doesn't work at all. The toggle is stuck to "off" and won't switch on. I've tried other wifi managing apps and they can't seem to get it on either. I'm worried about my data plan!

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
If your Wi-Fi bars are white it means no push services are happening, if blue means it's connected to Google servers and any new email would be delivered right away. When the bars are white or blue depends upon your router settings. My work have disabled blue bar settings so I have to manually refresh but at home everything is good. So when at work I turn Wi-Fi off and then I have instant push services enabled

Posted via Android Central App

chauncycat

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Did you try changing any of the advanced WiFi settings?

Another idea is to adjust the settings of your home router. Try setting it to 2.4 GHz if it's at 5. Try setting it to a specific channel (most people use 1, 6, and 11 with 2.4 GHz because WiFi actually spans channels, and separating by 5 ensures that you are getting not interference that you might see on the ones in between.) If you have a router that is using WPA security with TKIP, try changing to WPA2, or change TKIP to AES. Or see if there is a firmware update for the router - sometimes that fixes problems. No, it's not unheard of for only one device on a WiFi network to be affected by some of the router settings - just because other devices work well, it doesn't mean that there isn't a fixable problem.

Good luck.

With TV's, roku's, tablets, laptops, and computers, I have 14 items connected on my wireless network. This seems silly that I would have to go through all of this stuff to try and fix a phone that stopped working after a software update. This phone worked flawless until kit kat. Also, it is not just my house, it is my work router, and even the place I go to for lunch often.. Internet will only work one time. Once I login the first time, it goes blue, and works flawless. As soon as the phone goes to sleep one time, the bars turn white, and I lose all functionality.

I tried forcing my phone to the 2.4, and now I have a constant blue wifi signal, even after going to sleep, but nothing is responsive after the first sleep. I tried pulling gmail, chrome, and refreshing weather. I receive timeouts, but the wifi logo is still blue.,

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
With TV's, roku's, tablets, laptops, and computers, I have 14 items connected on my wireless network. This seems silly that I would have to go through all of this stuff to try and fix a phone that stopped working after a software update. This phone worked flawless until kit kat. Also, it is not just my house, it is my work router, and even the place I go to for lunch often.. Internet will only work one time. Once I login the first time, it goes blue, and works flawless. As soon as the phone goes to sleep one time, the bars turn white, and I lose all functionality.

I tried forcing my phone to the 2.4, and now I have a constant blue wifi signal, even after going to sleep, but nothing is responsive after the first sleep. I tried pulling gmail, chrome, and refreshing weather. I receive timeouts, but the wifi logo is still blue.,

Sorry, I misread your first post which made it look like the problem was only at home.

So, I'd try those advanced setting in the WiFi settings on the phone, if you haven't already. I have turned off the avoid poor connections thing, made sure that it doesn't sleep while the phone is off (maybe you need to turn that option on so it reconnects every time you power the phone back on). If none of that fixes it, I'd suggest a factory data reset. If that still doesn't fix it, then maybe it's time for a warranty exchange.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That is what I was fearing. I guess I will start researching how to go about doing this without losing all of my apps / etc. Thanks again for the help.

Your Apps should be backed up on the Play Store for your User Account. If you are talking about backing up your apps I am not sure I would do that with the problems you are experiencing because you run the risk of backing up the "Problem" along with your Apps, so a fresh download and install of you Apps is probably the way to go. If you have a ton of Apps I would do this while on WiFi unless you have unlimited data of course.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you do not want to hear the wireless charging noise, put the phone on vibrate before setting it down. This is something that was fixed with kit kat after Jellybean broke it. If you want your ringer on while you sleep, just turn the volume back up while the phone is already on the charger.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app