Wakelock Detector for KitKat?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Wakelock Detector before the update to KitKat to determine which apps and processes were keeping my phone awake when I was not using it. Since the update, Wakelock Detector no longer works. I checked the Wakelock Detector app on Google Playstore and it is apparently due to some changes in Google's permissions. Does anyone know of any other apps that serve the same purpose as Wakelock Detector and also work in KitKat? Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
All of those apps have similar issues, but GSAM battery monitor, when you tap on an app, will tell you how much time that app has kept the phone awake.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have looked at Process Stats, but I haven't found where I can determine which apps are keeping my phone awake. Can someone help with that?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have looked at Process Stats, but I haven't found where I can determine which apps are keeping my phone awake. Can someone help with that?

On KitKat you cannot get the information you need without rooting the phone.

Go through any apps that are updating in the background - Facebook, twitter, etc. Go into the settings and see what the update schedule is, and try changing it to something longer (or set it to manually update). If you have any on screen widgets, remove them. If you are not using touchless control, turn it off. The same thing goes for active notifications. If you don't use the Assist app drive or meeting modes, turn them off. If you have turned on Google Now and can live without out, turn it off, or at least go into settings / location, tap Google location reporting, and turn off location reporting and history for the phone.

See if that makes things better.

The real question is this: does your phone get you through a day without having to charge until you go to bed? If so, maybe stop sweating the details and just use the phone and don't worry about it.

FL32606

May 27, 2013
Visit site
All of those apps have similar issues, but GSAM battery monitor, when you tap on an app, will tell you how much time that app has kept the phone awake.

Thank you! I think this app will be helpful. My problem is that some days, my phone is fine and can go the entire day and only use 25% of the battery. Other days, for no reason the battery is 75% drained in 4 hours. All that the phone's battery app tells me is that either "android system" or "media" has been the culprit, but no more info than that. Usually if I realize that it is happening and restart the phone, then the runaway battery use stops. I think this app will help pinpoint the problem next time that occurs.