Active Display question

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Active Display on my phone continues to breathe even during it's sleeping period. Isn't the screen supposed to stay completely dark and not breathe at all during the time you set it to be asleep? What am I missing here?

I set it to sleep from 11:30p - 8:30a .... I look over at the phone at about midnight (it's facing up) and it's still breathing the time at me.

UPDATE - well this is interesting. It seems like the phone has to be in a completely dark room to stop breathing entirely. In the scenario I described above, I was in a lighted room. Then I got into bed, in a completely dark room, and noticed that the display stopped breathing completely (like it should). So maybe, regardless if Active Display is in sleep mode, it wants to be in a completely dark environment for the display to go to sleep completely.

Seems to me, the display should just go to sleep during your designated sleep hours, regardless of whether the phone is in a dark environment or not.

Last edited:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Active Display on my phone continues to breathe even during it's sleeping period. Isn't the screen supposed to stay completely dark and not breathe at all during the time you set it to be asleep? What am I missing here?

I set it to sleep from 11:30p - 8:30a .... I look over at the phone at about midnight (it's facing up) and it's still breathing the time at me.

UPDATE - well this is interesting. It seems like the phone has to be in a completely dark room to stop breathing entirely. In the scenario I described above, I was in a lighted room. Then I got into bed, in a completely dark room, and noticed that the display stopped breathing completely (like it should). So maybe, regardless if Active Display is in sleep mode, it wants to be in a completely dark environment for the display to go to sleep completely.

Seems to me, the display should just go to sleep during your designated sleep hours, regardless of whether the phone is in a dark environment or not.

Well, i think the device has started to learn your habits !! and yes don't get amazed this can happen because the device you are using it adaptive and continues to learn !! :p Sorry I still haven't got any answer for you !!

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The sleep function I believe is only for notifications and ringer. It does not affect the active display. In fact if I pick up my phone during the time set for sleep it will bring up the active display clock which I like.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The sleep function I believe is only for notifications and ringer. It does not affect the active display. In fact if I pick up my phone during the time set for sleep it will bring up the active display clock which I like.

Correct. Regardless if the device is in sleep mode or not, if you pick it up or move it, the display will activate. This I have noticed. But mine seems to stop breathing completely when it's in a completely dark room (unless you pick it up, of course).

I think I'm getting it. The breathing stops when the phone is in the dark - that's a feature all it's own and doesn't have anything to do with putting the Active Display to sleep. Putting it to sleep just means it's not going to show notifications and ringer, like you said.

I don't know why this whole concept had me so confused :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You may be thinking of the Assist app. In Settings / Active Display there is a setting for "Sleep at night" - which says that notifications will sleep between the times that you set.

To be honest, I have mine set but my phone is across the room from me, so I never see if it is "breathing".

INGrep

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I also thought that the point of the sleep mode was to not have the screen come on at all during those times (but was mistaken when I had it active). But what you're saying is instead of that the phone pretty much is just on a silent mode during those times?

mdvf121

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes assist is for the sound. If you follow doogalds directions it will take you to the active display settings. When you set it to sleep at night it won't come on at all unless you pickup or move the phone.

I think when the room is dark, maybe it thinks it's in your pocket or face down, and that's why the active display stops.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not that it matters, but the battery it uses is next to none thanks to the AMOLED display.

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not that it matters, but the battery it uses is next to none thanks to the AMOLED display.

The display part, yes. And there is a special, low speed core that looks for changes in status and notification. But the listening for background notifications does take some power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol