High Android OS and wakelocks

JY91

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
For some reason over the last few days my battery has been draining way faster. I have had the phone for just over a week. I haven't downloaded any more apps since when I got it. After my first charge everything seemed normal based on what I have seen from you guys and had 40+ hours with just shy of 8 hours of screen time.Recently Android OS is taking up 40%+ and I am getting about 30 hours with 2.5 hours screen time. I have GSAM downloaded and checked the wakelocks in the app and showed alarm_rtc with like 10000 wakelocks as well as a couple others that were at that level. I have no idea what it could be and tried doing a soft reset (volume+power) but no help. I have since had to plug it in and they went away when I plugged it in so I'll upload a screen shot when its up again. I do have a screenshot of the normal battery stuff. Thanks for the help.

Screenshot_2014-01-31-11-17-10.pngScreenshot_2014-01-31-11-18-36.png

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Recently Android OS is taking up 40%+ and I am getting about 30 hours with 2.5 hours screen time.

A little more than 30 hours with about 4 hours on screen time is pretty typical of what I see these days for a full charge. KitKat definitely is not as good as Jellybean was for battery life. I have seen a translated changelog of the Moto X update for 4.4.2 for Brazil that mentions a fix for battery problems that some people running 4.4 noticed, so I think that Motorola knows what is causing this and has a solution when we finally get 4.4.2. (My guess is sometime in March, assuming all of the Moto X 4.4.2 upgrades go without a problem like the original Droid 4.4 update had in December - hopefully that won't happen again.)

Anyway, one reason for your more excessive drain in this cycle is that red line in mobile signal - you had a terrible signal for a little while there, and that seemed to coincide with a time when the phone was being kept awake (but the screen was not on.) Maybe you were driving then? (Do you have the Assist app set up for driving assist?)

JY91

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, one reason for your more excessive drain in this cycle is that red line in mobile signal - you had a terrible signal for a little while there, and that seemed to coincide with a time when the phone was being kept awake (but the screen was not on.) Maybe you were driving then? (Do you have the Assist app set up for driving assist?)

The red area of that was an the hour or so I was in the gym. Its in a basement with no signal and listening to music so that area was understandable but the area where there is a big gap of screen off (sleeping) with most of the time the phone was awake and in that 7 hour period my battery dropped almost 20% is what I can't figure out.

Also when I first got the phone the first thing that happened was the upgrade to KK and I didn't have an issue until a few days later.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
but the area where there is a big gap of screen off (sleeping) with most of the time the phone was awake and in that 7 hour period my battery dropped almost 20% is what I can't figure out.

Is that when the mobile signal turned off? Presumably, you turned off mobile data? Or is that the time when WiFi was off?

Have you gone in to the Assist app and turned on sleep mode? How about active display and turned off notifications while while you are sleeping? (Both you do with a time range.)

I do think that it's possible since the phone is so new that the battery is not quite calibrated right yet. I rarely sleep without the phone plugged in, but when I have done it on Jellybean it would lose about 7-10 percent while I was sleeping. I just did it on KitKat a few weeks ago but didn't pay attention to how much it dropped overnight - though I recall it was more than I was expecting.

Again, I do think that there is a battery drain problem in KitKat at the moment. Hopefully we get 4.4.2 soon and that gets fixed. If not, we have a phone with a huge battery, so that's great. Just plug it in while you sleep.

JY91

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
When the mobile signal turned off. Which is another thing I don't get. Most stuff like wifi, data and stuff are always on. I have both assist and active display on sleep mode from 1a-8a. I am not too worried about not being able to get through the day it was just a concern that I was able to get almost a full 48 hours of battery and 8 hours of screen time and now I get less than half the screen time and my habits haven't changes. Thanks for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38