Droid MAXX: Google and Isis wallets working great!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know there is another thread about the wallets, but I wanted to just say that I tried them both last week and they work great. I love that I don't have to pull out the credit card. Just open either of the apps and I am done! I am also enjoying that $50 credit I received when I signed up for Isis. :)

Oh ... and disregard my typo in the subject line. :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google and Isis wallets working great!

Getting Google Wallet on my Maxx was one of the main reasons I wanted the Kit Kat upgrade.

I've used Google Wallet and ISIS a few different times at McDonald's and CVS and it worked perfectly. I tried using Google Wallet at Home Depot at one of their self-service checkouts and it looked like it was going to work but the transaction failed to process. The clerk walked over and advised me that their NFC payment system isn't active yet but it should be soon. (In fairness to Home Depot, the logo that designates NFC payment wasn't on their card reader - I just held my Maxx to the LCD screen on their card reader and the NFC logo materialized.)

The only hang-up I've encountered was when I tried to return an item I bought at CVS using Google Wallet. When the clerk processed the return she asked for the credit card I used for payment so I handed her the card that's tied to my GW account - it didn't work. I then handed her the Google Wallet debit card I received in the mail - it didn't work either. I wanted to hold my Maxx to the NFC reader but the clerk insisted she needed a physical card that she could swipe through her terminal. I didn't want to waste anymore time so I just agreed to take a store gift card in the amount of the return.

Overall I love Google Wallet and the NFC technology, I just wish there were more places (mostly gas stations and supermarkets) that accepted GW and ISIS.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I was able to use my Google wallet at a Chevron station last week. I also hope more merchants start using the NFC system. It's great!

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I used GW for the first time today at CVS and I was pleased that it worked. It's the only place in my small town that I know of so far that is NFC enabled.

I also have all my loyalty cards scanned into Wallet so I don't carry the physical cards anymore. Found out today though that it's impossible to scan my phone at the Kroger gas pumps to get my discount. I turned that phone every which-a-way but it wouldn't scan....guess I'll have to put the Kroger loyalty card back in my wallet for the gas pump at least. :'(

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

One thing I've discovered is Isis only works at places it's listed at on its website.

Google wallet will work wherever contact less payments are accepted.

But I'm not complaining. I got $50 just for signing up. I'm also getting 20% back on purchases. And I can also easily move money from my checking account so shopping at target is a breeze (well I use the Amex serve there).

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Home Depot in my area used to have one terminal with the PayPass module above the regular pinpad. When they got all new pinpads for every checkstand (including self-check out), I was concerned they'd abandoned tap-to-pay as an option.

Yesterday, as I was about to swipe my CC, I noticed the PayPass logo among the payment types on the LCD screen. So I backed out of the transaction and tried again with my Moto X. It chirped and seemed to work, but the transaction eventually failed. The clerk said on her screen it said something like "Payment Type Not Accepted." Too bad.

I was immediately reminded of the vending machines at the outlet mall near me that used to accept PayPass (via Google Wallet) but abruptly stopped working when ISIS was released publicly. Someone indicated it may be an exclusivity deal with the ISIS cabal.

Has anyone tried Home Depot with ISIS to see if it works?

TJH

(I'll take a picture of the terminals next time I'm in the store.)

Posted via Android Central App

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Yesterday, as I was about to swipe my CC, I noticed the PayPass logo among the payment types on the LCD screen. So I backed out of the transaction and tried again with my Moto X. It chirped and seemed to work, but the transaction eventually failed. The clerk said on her screen it said something like "Payment Type Not Accepted." Too bad.

I had almost the exact same thing happen when I tried to use ISIS at Home Depot a few weeks ago. (See post #3)

Today I went to Home Depot and paid for my purchase using my Maxx and Google Wallet. (The first time I held my Maxx to the card reader with the LCD screen the Maxx vibrated and it seemed to "wake up" the LCD screen and then I held the Maxx to the reader again and the Maxx vibrated and the transaction began to process.)

So, my batting average with Home Depot and NFC payments is .500. ISIS didn't work but Google Wallet did. That said, I'm not 100% certain the issue is with ISIS, because I tried to use ISIS on a self-serve check-out but I used Google Wallet at a check-out that was staffed by a Home Depot employee. Part of me wonders if Home Depot disables the NFC payment capability from the self serve check-outs due to some security concerns?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Went to download Isis today and was shocked by the number of poor reviews it has on the Play store. I will have to check back into it and see what's up with it.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Went to download Isis today and was shocked by the number of poor reviews it has on the Play store. I will have to check back into it and see what's up with it.

I haven't read the reviews for ISIS but I'd bet there's a fair amount of "hate" directed toward the app by people who resented that many of the carriers were blocking Google Wallet so that ISIS could gain traction in the market. AT&T and Verizon both have a vested interest in ISIS and both have made efforts in the past to block Google Wallet.

Google, to their credit, came up with a clever solution to circumvent AT&T and Verizon's efforts to block Google Wallet with the latest Kit Kat upgrade.

Personally, I love Google and I hate Verizon. The only reason I have ISIS on my phone is that I'm interested in NFC payment technology and I wanted to see if there were circumstances where one NFC payment system might work when the other one wouldn't.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

I also have all my loyalty cards scanned into Wallet so I don't carry the physical cards anymore. Found out today though that it's impossible to scan my phone at the Kroger gas pumps to get my discount. I turned that phone every which-a-way but it wouldn't scan....guess I'll have to put the Kroger loyalty card back in my wallet for the gas pump at least. :'(

It only works with certain hand held scanners. Newer ones as I understand it. The stationary scanners never work. I've been using the key ring app to store my cards for years and a few cashiers shared their experiences with customers using such apps. My experiences seem to match what they've told me.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

So, my batting average with Home Depot and NFC payments is .500. ISIS didn't work but Google Wallet did. That said, I'm not 100% certain the issue is with ISIS, because I tried to use ISIS on a self-serve check-out but I used Google Wallet at a check-out that was staffed by a Home Depot employee. Part of me wonders if Home Depot disables the NFC payment capability from the self serve check-outs due to some security concerns?

This is the new terminal at my Home Depot. Does it match the one that worked for you? I'll try at a non self-serve checkstand to see if your supposition is correct.

TJH

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_162135238_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140213_162135238_HDR.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 61

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

This is the new terminal at my Home Depot. Does it match the one that worked for you? I'll try at a non self-serve checkstand to see if your supposition is correct.

TJH

Yep, the payment terminal at my local Home Depot looks exactly like the one in your photo. :)

On a related note, I went to Home Depot today and tried to make a NFC purchase at the self-serve check out. First I tried ISIS and then I tried Google Wallet - both efforts failed.

The Home Depot employee who came over to help indicated he's seen the NFC payments work at the terminals that are staffed by HD employees - he didn't know why the NFC payments were not working at the self-serve check out. (I gave up and just paid for the purchase with my Credit Card using the magnetic reader.)

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

It only works with certain hand held scanners. Newer ones as I understand it. The stationary scanners never work. I've been using the key ring app to store my cards for years and a few cashiers shared their experiences with customers using such apps. My experiences seem to match what they've told me.

What is the key ring app?

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

That's good news. I've seen this identical terminal (sans the PayPass) logo at AutoZone and one other retailer I can't recall at the moment. Hopefully that means a small change in their software or service agreement could open the doors to more tap to pay locations. The Walgreen's in the area have new terminals with large, elaborately marked PayPass terminals that are not connected either.

TJH

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Most recent ISIS experience at Home Depot

I went to a Home Depot in the Seattle area and tried to pay with ISIS at a check-out that was staffed by a Home Depot employee - the effort failed.....:( It looked like it was going to work and the ISIS screen on my phone made all the right tones but the transaction failed to process.

So far my NFC experience at Home Depot is one success and three failures. Based on my limited experience it appears that neither Google Wallet or ISIS work at the self serve check-outs and only Google Wallet works at the check-outs staffed by a HD employee - your mileage may vary..... :p

On a somewhat related note, I was able to use ISIS at a Rite Aid drug store but it required two efforts to get it to work.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Most recent ISIS experience at Home Depot

So far my NFC experience at Home Depot is one success and three failures. Based on my limited experience it appears that neither Google Wallet or ISIS work at the self serve check-outs and only Google Wallet works at the check-outs staffed by a HD employee

This seems to be accurate. Staffed check stands work with GW; self-checkout does not.

TJH

Denny Curtis

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

I tried ISIS at Home Depot in Englewood Florida and got the old card type not valid on the tap and pay... I also tried to use it in Walgreen's in Port Charlotte, they have it (ISIS) turned off as well..

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

I tried ISIS at Home Depot in Englewood Florida and got the old card type not valid on the tap and pay... I also tried to use it in Walgreen's in Port Charlotte, they have it (ISIS) turned off as well..

I initially assumed that any merchant that had a NFC reader would be able to process both Google Wallet and ISIS - that's clearly not the case.

In fact, I thought it was funny when I received an email from ISIS this morning bragging that I can now use ISIS at McDonald's. Hell, I was using Google Wallet at McDonald's with my Nexus 7 over a year ago. :cool:

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Isis works at the vending machines at the local courthouse, but Google Wallet doesn't. It was driving me nuts that Isis refused to load on my rooted Maxx.

Fortunately, the Root Cloak module for Xposed Framework prevents Isis from detecting root, so Isis is working again.