Well, Droid Maxx it is!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Finally finally finally upgraded. After months and months of arguing with myself between iphone, android, and bb10 I decided to go android.

After playing with devices in the store I just couldn't resist the in-hand feel of the moto x, so off I went. When I got home I noticed the casing was cracked on the side by the sim; when I returned it they pulled out another one and same thing. Long story short, it was their last one and I had driven 2 hours to get there. As we mulled options I mentioned that I also liked the maxx but it was $100 more; the salesperson said "well you're in luck, the price dropped today so we can do an even trade".

So let me see, bigger screen, twice the memory, much longer battery life, love the kevlar look, for the same price - no brainer right? except I just couldn't get past the in-hand feel, the X was much much more comfortable. But I finally figured the other factors trumped feel and I'll get used to it. About 24 hours later, very happy this series of "unfortunate events" happened.

So Maxx it is . . break out the cigars, and drinks all around =)

Last edited by a moderator:

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Well, Maxx it is!

Welcome to the world of Maxx. You will love your phone. Best one I've ever owned/used.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Finally finally finally upgraded. After months and months of arguing with myself between iphone, android, and bb10 I decided to go android.

After playing with devices in the store I just couldn't resist the in-hand feel of the moto x, so off I went. When I got home I noticed the casing was cracked on the side by the sim; when I returned it they pulled out another one and same thing. Long story short, it was their last one and I had driven 2 hours to get there. As we mulled options I mentioned that I also liked the maxx but it was $100 more; the salesperson said "well you're in luck, the price dropped today so we can do an even trade".

So let me see, bigger screen, twice the memory, much longer battery life, love the kevlar look, for the same price - no brainer right? except I just couldn't get past the in-hand feel, the X was much much more comfortable. But I finally figured the other factors trumped feel and I'll get used to it. About 24 hours later, very happy this series of "unfortunate events" happened.

So Maxx it is . . break out the cigars, and drinks all around =)

Please dear god go to mototradeup.com and check out the rebate.

All you need to do is go to eBay find a sprint Motorola Admiral for under twenty bucks with a clear esn.

Head to your corporate vzw store within 30 days of droid activation and use promo code MOTOJB100.

If you were a comcast customer you could've also got $150 visa mail in rebate in 4-6 weeks....

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Please dear god go to mototradeup.com and check out the rebate.

All you need to do is go to eBay find a sprint Motorola Admiral for under twenty bucks with a clear esn.

Head to your corporate vzw store within 30 days of droid activation and use promo code MOTOJB100.

If you were a comcast customer you could've also got $150 visa mail in rebate in 4-6 weeks....

Not sure if I fully understand what you're saying, but I did trade in my blackberry for a $100 trade in, so I think I'm good on that . . .

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
No. That's a Verizon promo. You still can do the trade up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks, just checked it out. I was told its the same thing I did, the 100 rebate from moto is in the form of a verizon gift card which can be used toward the phone, and I have to turn in the phone which I already did.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, just checked it out. I was told its the same thing I did, the 100 rebate from moto is in the form of a verizon gift card which can be used toward the phone, and I have to turn in the phone which I already did.

No this is a separate promo. You can do both but you need to go to a corporate store and have a manager do it. You'll need to find a phone that qualifies. Use code MOTOJB100 up to 30 days from date of purchase.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
A few days into this now and just absolutely in love with this phone. Whoever came up with the concept for active notifications ought to get some kind of award; it is so useful and practical, before I had one I thought it might be kinda gimmicky but no more. Happy, happy, happy =)

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad you chose the maxx. It took me 3 trade ins to figure out I want this phone and I absolutly love it

Posted via Android Central App

What were the other phones you tried before the Maxx? My contract is up the 2nd week of March. I have a Droid 4 which has been a good phone until it really started lagging a couple of months ago. Trying to decide between a Samsung 4, Samsung 4 mini, Droid mini or Droid Maxx. Sigh decisions, decisions. I like the mini's size, I have small hands but I like the battery life on the Maxx.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
What were the other phones you tried before the Maxx? My contract is up the 2nd week of March. I have a Droid 4 which has been a good phone until it really started lagging a couple of months ago. Trying to decide between a Samsung 4, Samsung 4 mini, Droid mini or Droid Maxx. Sigh decisions, decisions. I like the mini's size, I have small hands but I like the battery life on the Maxx.

What? Why not wait and use your upgrade on a newer device this spring?

Droid 4 has lots of development why not buy an extended battery for it and flash a custom rom?

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have a couple of extended batteries and they're really helpful but longer battery life would be nice. My biggest problem with my phone now is how much it lags. Sometimes when I click an app it will start to open and then it will just hang there with a dark screen for what seems like forever although it's probably only 20 secs or so. And the touch screen isn't always as responsive as it used to be. I've missed a couple of calls because I couldn't get the answer icon to work. And a serveral times I've had trouble ending a phone call because the end call icon didn't respond quickly. I do love to play with my phone and try out new apps and widgets and change the look of my phone etc but I'm not real techie so I am hesitant to flash a custom rom. Not even sure how to do that as I never looked into it because I was sure I would break something if I tried it. LOL

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I do have a couple of extended batteries and they're really helpful but longer battery life would be nice. My biggest problem with my phone now is how much it lags. Sometimes when I click an app it will start to open and then it will just hang there with a dark screen for what seems like forever although it's probably only 20 secs or so. And the touch screen isn't always as responsive as it used to be. I've missed a couple of calls because I couldn't get the answer icon to work. And a serveral times I've had trouble ending a phone call because the end call icon didn't respond quickly. I do love to play with my phone and try out new apps and widgets and change the look of my phone etc but I'm not real techie so I am hesitant to flash a custom rom. Not even sure how to do that as I never looked into it because I was sure I would break something if I tried it. LOL

Man. I'd say you're definitely capable of doing a few modifications. Not everyone but most members here are very helpful. It sounds to me like you're struggling with high memory usage. If you go to settings, apps, running apps, how much memory do you have used and available?

You could try using something like greenify which now doesn't require root. It freezes apps from launching in the background. It's not necessary at all with newer phones but definitely might perk things up.

I'd honestly back everything up including texts if you need them (Sms backup and restore is amazing) and factory reset your phone. Also too, every Motorola phone I've owned seems to perform better if it's powered off then back on every two to three days.

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I justed checked running apps and I have 591 MB used and 250 MB free. I don't power off my phone very often and I'm sure that's part of the problem and will do so every couple of days from now on. I'm also going to do a factory reset on my phone, maybe over the weekend. I do appreciate the help. I still do want to get a new phone but if I can fix my lagging phone I can take some time and take some time and decide what I really want. That's for info on how to back up my texts. Most aren't that important but there are a few family baby pictures I'd like to keep. Although I should just save them to my phone I suppose.

Thanks again. I will let you know if the reset helps

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I justed checked running apps and I have 591 MB used and 250 MB free. I don't power off my phone very often and I'm sure that's part of the problem and will do so every couple of days from now on. I'm also going to do a factory reset on my phone, maybe over the weekend. I do appreciate the help. I still do want to get a new phone but if I can fix my lagging phone I can take some time and take some time and decide what I really want. That's for info on how to back up my texts. Most aren't that important but there are a few family baby pictures I'd like to keep. Although I should just save them to my phone I suppose.

Thanks again. I will let you know if the reset helps

Sms backup and restore just began supporting mms picture backup. I haven't tried it yet. Generally text backup doesn't save photos. You'd use an additional app Mms auto save. I'll try the Sms backup and see if it saves my photos.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
For MMS backup anyway, the free app SMSBackup+ will back up all received and sent SMS and MMS messages to a label on a gmail account of your choice. You can't restore MMS, but the backup part works great, and searching is so much better on Gmail.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Sms backup and restore says it saved my mms. Not sure where. It quickly processed my file of 3500 Sms and added 800 new. But it took a really long time. At least ten minutes usually one or two.

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I reset my phone this evening and it seems to have helped, I feel like I have my old phone back. I still am interested in the Droid Maxx but I don't feel like I have to go out and get a new phone the day my contract runs out because my Droid 4 is driving me crazy. Thanks for all your help and encouragement.
Ann