slow email updates?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this? I use the yellow colored email app that came on the device. I have everything checked as push, yet it often happens that I'll wonder why I haven't gotten an email for awhile and I'll go in and click the sync button and I'll get 12 or 15 emails some as old as 2 or 3 hours . . anybody know why this might be?

As a side issue, the stock calendar icon with the date on it often doesn't change to today's date till midmorning or so. Not a big deal, but just wondering if there's some kind of setting or check box I've missed or what?

Thanks . . .

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this? I use the yellow colored email app that came on the device. I have everything checked as push, yet it often happens that I'll wonder why I haven't gotten an email for awhile and I'll go in and click the sync button and I'll get 12 or 15 emails some as old as 2 or 3 hours . . anybody know why this might be?

As a side issue, the stock calendar icon with the date on it often doesn't change to today's date till midmorning or so. Not a big deal, but just wondering if there's some kind of setting or check box I've missed or what?

Thanks . . .

It may be that the phone is shutting down the processes that do this in the background. If you restart the phone daily - say, every night when as you go to bed, or each morning when you wake up - see if things work better.

I use only GMail on my phone and I never miss notifications, for what that's worth. You don't say that the mail server is using IMAP, but not all IMAP mail servers properly support push, so it may be that - maybe you want to change to checking on a schedule instead?

Last piece of advice: the stock mail app is pretty mediocre. K9 mail in the Play Store is a pretty good alternative.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have two gmail accounts and both are having issues with sync. I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem. I do not reset my phone daily. sometimes it syncs most times no

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My phone never has a problem with syncing. In fact, emails will often hit my phone before they hit my computer, albeit seconds apart. Separate from having the individual apps set to push, you need to have the phone set to sync automatically.

Check out my screen shot. On the power control widget, the little circular arrows have to be turned on (blue) in order for your emails to automatically push.

Not sure if you're already aware of this, but just in case; might be worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1392699794333.jpg
    1392699794333.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone never has a problem with syncing. In fact, emails will often hit my phone before they hit my computer, albeit seconds apart. Separate from having the individual apps set to push, you need to have the phone set to sync automatically.

Check out my screen shot. On the power control widget, the little circular arrows have to be turned on (blue) in order for your emails to automatically push.

Not sure if you're already aware of this, but just in case; might be worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I was excited when I read your post, thought for sure that must be what I'd forgotten, but alas my sync is on :/

Thanks though . . thats the kind of advice I was looking for. . .

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
It may be that the phone is shutting down the processes that do this in the background. If you restart the phone daily - say, every night when as you go to bed, or each morning when you wake up - see if things work better.

I use only GMail on my phone and I never miss notifications, for what that's worth. You don't say that the mail server is using IMAP, but not all IMAP mail servers properly support push, so it may be that - maybe you want to change to checking on a schedule instead?

Last piece of advice: the stock mail app is pretty mediocre. K9 mail in the Play Store is a pretty good alternative.

Changing from "push" to "check every 15 minutes" seems to have "fixed" the problem; but of course I no longer have push email. 97% of the time 15 minutes isn't going to make a big difference, its just those few times when I "need" push that I'm going to be annoyed . . however better 15 minutes "late" than a few hours late or wondering if its syncing at all.

Thank you . . . It may be "working" now, but it just doesn't seem like this should be happening; so if anyone has other ideas please chime in. This is actually one of the reasons I ended up choosing an android device over bb10, because I thought it would play better with my gmail, so I guess this issue bothers me maybe a little more than it should.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you . . . It may be "working" now, but it just doesn't seem like this should be happening; so if anyone has other ideas please chime in. This is actually one of the reasons I ended up choosing an android device over bb10, because I thought it would play better with my gmail, so I guess this issue bothers me maybe a little more than it should.

If this is a GMail account, use the GMail app. It will definitely push with the app. GMail's IMAP implementation is notoriously nonstandard and that's probably why it's not using IMAP idle (push) properly with the stock mail app.

I guarantee it - if you have a GMail app (or Google apps account with your own domain) then you will get proper push.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If this is a GMail account, use the GMail app. It will definitely push with the app. GMail's IMAP implementation is notoriously nonstandard and that's probably why it's not using IMAP idle (push) properly with the stock mail app.

I guarantee it - if you have a GMail app (or Google apps account with your own domain) then you will get proper push.

I have 2 gmail accts and 1 non-gmail . . it seemed to me with the "red" pre-loaded gmail app I could only see one acct at a time, so I used the "yellow" pre-loaded mail app because it allowed me to have multiple accts and see them all at once (combined in-box).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 gmail accts and 1 non-gmail . . it seemed to me with the "red" pre-loaded gmail app I could only see one acct at a time, so I used the "yellow" pre-loaded mail app because it allowed me to have multiple accts and see them all at once (combined in-box).

If you want push with the second gmail account, use the gmail app. You can set up separate notifications for each account.

If you want single inbox, set up one of the gmail accounts to auto-forward to the other gmail account, and set up gmail in the other account to send mail as the other account and to send replies from the account that received the message. You can also set a filter to automatically label messages sent to the account that forwards so you can more obviously see which is which. I have all of my email accounts set to autoforward to my main gmail account with server side rules and labels for just this reason, actually.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
If you want push with the second gmail account, use the gmail app. You can set up separate notifications for each account.

If you want single inbox, set up one of the gmail accounts to auto-forward to the other gmail account, and set up gmail in the other account to send mail as the other account and to send replies from the account that received the message. You can also set a filter to automatically label messages sent to the account that forwards so you can more obviously see which is which. I have all of my email accounts set to autoforward to my main gmail account with server side rules and labels for just this reason, actually.

Thanks Doogald, I was reading through these and just getting ready to chime in with that. It works great to have your other email accounts set to forward to one . I do that too and use the gmail app. Get my Outlook and Gmail that way. Never have used the standard email app and never have a problem. Hope OP will try this!