Recovery mode

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Press and hold the Volume down button, while holding the Volume down button press the Power button and hold both buttons for three to five seconds then release both buttons.

From the Boot Mode Selection Menu screen, press the Volume down key to highlight Recovery then press the Volume Up key.

From the Android triage screen (Android figure with an exclamation point), press and hold the Volume up key, while holding the Volume up key press and release the Power button then release all keys.

I never get to the triangle screen. It just boots into the normal OS. No surprise the Verizon directions are wrong.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Those are the same directions as Verizon. They don't work. I press the volume up key once recovery is selected, and it just boots into the normal OS. Then it goes back into a boot loop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, sorry about that. I confess that I didn't closely compare the two.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That screen specifically instructs you to press Volume Up to select, right? Pressing Power doesn't do anything to select an option, does it?

Posted via Android Central App

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Power actually shuts it off again. Yes, Volume Up is what you use to select (just like on the RAZR). Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It just boots the phone normally, and then it goes right back into boot loop. I'm within my 14 days, so I'll exchange the phone at the Verizon store tomorrow. Back on my RAZR for the night.... ugh...

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. It's partially my fault, trying to get root on 4.4. Unfortunately, half the information needed to accomplish this is missing from the online instructions. I had to find it through trial and error. That likely introduced errors into the phone, which is why it's now in a boot loop after trying to update. Oh well, new phone tomorrow morning and I'll forget the root access. I'm not going through all that BS again.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You're doing it right, I'm sure, but I think you're not seeing recovery because it wasn't updated when you installed the ota. That's what happened to some people on the first kitkat ota in December. You just don't have a recovery to go to.

I think it's time to read up on House of Moto... As long as you can get the phone into Fastboot, it should be all set. If recovery didn't install, you should be able to go back to 12.15.15 (4.2.2). If that doesn't work you're probably going to have to do KitKat without root.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You're doing it right, I'm sure, but I think you're not seeing recovery because it wasn't updated when you installed the ota. That's what happened to some people on the first kitkat ota in December. You just don't have a recovery to go to.

I think it's time to read up on House of Moto... As long as you can get the phone into Fastboot, it should be all set. If recovery didn't install, you should be able to go back to 12.15.15 (4.2.2). If that doesn't work you're probably going to have to do KitKat without root.

I'm not sure what you mean. I can get into the screen where I can choose recovery, but when choosing it, it just boots into the normal phone instead of recovery, and then bootloop continues. It says "Fastboot reason: button pressed" at the bottom. I CANNOT get into recovery to do a FDR outside the operating system, and the phone only stays in the operating system for 10 -15 seconds before rebooting...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean. I can get into the screen where I can choose recovery, but when choosing it, it just boots into the normal phone instead of recovery, and then bootloop continues. It says "Fastboot reason: button pressed" at the bottom. I CANNOT get into recovery to do a FDR outside the operating system, and the phone only stays in the operating system for 10 -15 seconds before rebooting...

Right. when you try to start Recovery with the proper button press, it can't start. Recovery was not installed properly to the phone with the KitKat update (it's the first step) and recovery is what is used to complete the rest of the installation, so your phone is soft bricked.

It's recoverable with fastboot commands, or you can use the automated House of Moto.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I was within my 14 day return period, so I just went and exchanged it. I'm not taking the chance again. KK is downloading on the new phone now and I'll be installing it soon after. I'm sure there are a lot of people that have no problem following those instructions. Those people know a hell of a lot more about all of this stuff than I do. For the lay person, IMHO, it's almost guaranteed that you will brick your phone. There is just that much info missing.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I did. It still just booted into the boot loop. I'm on KK now so there is no going back. Done messing with it. Not worth the hassle.