"tear drop" on the status bar?

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I leave everything on and don't worry about battery life! That's why I bought a MAXX

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
had another question:

do you need to have "google location reporting" on for the GPS / WIFI / DATA to work with the weather widget?

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No. You need the overall Location service on, which essentially means that your device can locate where you are using GPS, wi-fi, mobile data, or some combination. Location Reporting is used to report your location to certain Google services like Google+ (if you want to share your location with friends) and Google Offers. I always keep Location Reporting off until I need it (usually only if I'm checking Google Offers), because for some people, it can contribute a little to battery drain, since it causes the system to partially wake up more frequently to report to the web.

Rickerz

Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I only turn on GPS if I really need precise location, which is rarely. The "battery-saving" option (which uses only wi-fi and/or cell signal to estimate location) is usually good enough for me, and is accurate to within a hundred meters or so. I only see that icon whenever I have GPS turned on, which is why I don't think it represents all location services. I have plenty of apps that use location services, but without GPS on, that icon never shows up, even briefly.

Your reply indicates rich knowledge unfortunately lacks precision, the year drop icon in question do show up regardless of the GPS ON setting..factually does not explain the consistent appearance of the year drop I am trying to figure out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your reply indicates rich knowledge unfortunately lacks precision, the year drop icon in question do show up regardless of the GPS ON setting..factually does not explain the consistent appearance of the year drop I am trying to figure out.
Hi welcome to AC!

What device you have and andriod version ?
This post is 7 years old and lot have changed since.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! As mustang7757 pointed out, you quoted something I said 7 years ago. Things can change a lot in the span of 1-2 years in Android, much less 7 years, so maybe you can start by telling us which phone you have, what Android version it's on, and more details about what you're dealing with. A screenshot might help as well: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae