Need app like Droid 4's Motorola Smart Actions

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay before I begin, I have had a devil of a day so if there is a simple answer, just chalk it up to that and I will still be grateful for your help.

On my Motorola Droid 4 there was a Smart Actions app. Specifically I could do this scenario (among many) with it:

Set it to 100 percent silence at night but if certain people call or text, it is audible with a volume of my setting. Basically so I don't hear a Yahoo mail ding at night but if the in-laws call in an emergency I get it and answer.

What app can I download, or does it already exist on my phone and I am stupidly overlooking it? I really want something that accomplishes the above scenario, but if Smart Actions as a whole exists I am cool with that.

Any help is appreciated.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That's something assist can do, unlike some other things that smart actions did.

Start the assist app. Tap on sleeping. Schedule quiet time and tap the "silence" box. Tap the arrow to the right of silence and check on "a favorite calls" and/or "someone calls twice".

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That's something assist can do, unlike some other things that smart actions did.

Start the assist app. Tap on sleeping. Schedule quiet time and tap the "silence" box. Tap the arrow to the right of silence and check on "a favorite calls" and/or "someone calls twice".

I figured I was overlooking the obvious. I think I disabled Assist as I just whittled my apps down to what I truly use, but I'll re-enable it and give that a whirl and see how it goes.

Thank you for replying with your answer. I appreciate it.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Can I just say that Assist is largely useless? Llama and Tasker are way too freakin' complicated for some of the pretty simple stuff we do. Why oh why did they dump Smart Actions?

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So Assist does what I want it to do... For phone calls. But not for text messages. Basically I want to be woke in the middle of the night if I get an emergency call or text. Granted if its an emergency odds are its a call but text should be an option, too.

Nonetheless, I at least have something that predominantly works now. But Smart Actions was definitely way better. My wife has a Droid 4 still before she upgrades in a couple of weeks and she is going to miss it. I've forewarned her of that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Nonetheless, I at least have something that predominantly works now. But Smart Actions was definitely way better. My wife has a Droid 4 still before she upgrades in a couple of weeks and she is going to miss it. I've forewarned her of that.

Verizon is still selling the Razr M, which I think still has smart actions, if that feature is really that important.

As others have said, Tasker can do what you want (though you may want to Google to find out exactly how - it's a very powerful app that is not all that intuitive.) There is also an app called Llama (free) which, IIRC, can do the favorite contacts calls or text messages sounding an alert during quiet time.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is still selling the Razr M, which I think still has smart actions, if that feature is really that important.

As others have said, Tasker can do what you want (though you may want to Google to find out exactly how - it's a very powerful app that is not all that intuitive.) There is also an app called Llama (free) which, IIRC, can do the favorite contacts calls or text messages sounding an alert during quiet time.

In the grand scheme of things, it may not be that big of a deal. Part of this may be natural griping that a perfect product is no longer perfect. BUT, let's look at the bright side, a default app on my phone does something important, and again, most emergencies will be phone calls not texts, so good with bad, I'll take it and move on. I have other options if I want to get experimental, but I can say I am happy, and my wife will do whatever I set her phone up with (I teach her how to use phones since she's not as tech-savvy as I am), and all will be well.

I'm just glad people came in here and replied to the thread and gave some good info. That's perhaps even more important than my original problem.

Ironman805

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I found it Moo Cow!!! I hope this message reaches you as I could feel your pain enough that I signed up to this forum just for this post thread! haha. Through more searching, I found Agent, and it does exactly what we want!!!!! I too was in the same situation as you and Agent is as close as you can get, maybe even a little better. Not sure about the battery draw yet as I just downloaded it, but you can select specific contacts to allow to right through.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084