Otter box Defender style issue

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
so I just got my Maxx on Monday ( found one of the last with 32GB) also picked up the Otter Defender, fits nicely, but than I noticed that the front cover (plastic side) was incorrectly cut, the cut out for the front camera was on the left side not right side.
Went back to VZ corp store, all were the same.
Called Otter and they gave me a hard time, saying I had a Razor Maxx.
followed there email for pictures and awaiting to see what they will do.
Production code was from 2-14, anyone else with a defender case have this issue?

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the case that you are talking about but are you sure that the cut out you refer to is for the camera. It may be for the face detection and light sensors which ARE on the left side and are usually affected by covers whereas cameras in general are not affected by covers.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
otter front.jpg
A picture paints a thousand words.

so if you see the photo, there is the cut in the middle for the I guess the speaker, then to the left is a cut out, that cut out should be on the right where the front facing camera is correct?
I dont see anything on the phone face plate that would be anything unless my eyes are that bad. on the Motorola website I checked the manual it shows that that area should be the low battery LED.

Last edited:

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure that is for the sensors for face/pocket detection and light sensor. They are hard to see unless you take a flash light and shine on that area of the phone and then I bet they will line up with that cut out. That's the area that I had to cut out of my last screen cover because if I didn't the screen would go black as soon as I answered a call on speaker phone.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I see a RED LED on the right side and some other component on the left, it is a very small opening. so I guess it is suppose to cut that way, so the front camera is block by the hard plastic of the Otter-box.
I guess I could always use a hole punch to make a hole for the camera if it becomes an issue.

BlueCollarGuy

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I just popped the plastic out of mine and use a screen protector. I found that I was having a hard time seeing it sometimes during the day and the tactile response was not all that great, for me that is. Hardest thing was fabricating a car holder that the Defender case would fit into and allow me to swivel from landscape to portrait. Took a few hours to do that.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just popped the plastic out of mine and use a screen protector. I found that I was having a hard time seeing it sometimes during the day and the tactile response was not all that great, for me that is. Hardest thing was fabricating a car holder that the Defender case would fit into and allow me to swivel from landscape to portrait. Took a few hours to do that.

what car holder did you get, got a pix of the modified unit?

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
My defender is the same for the front facing camera.
qu8yvy4e.jpg

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
For the car mount you could use a mount by panavise. It's meant to screw in to a vehicle specific mount. It's just a plastic piece that has room to hold a belt clip. Then just holster the phone and voila.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

BlueCollarGuy

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The phone mount is a Mountek MT500 CD Slot Mount. I went to the big box store and obtained a short piece of 3/4" x 1/2" aluminum angle. Cut a couple of short, appx 3" pieces and softened all the corners and sides. I marked the centers of the mount side wings and of the aluminum and made witness marks where the ends of the aluminum should be on the mount wings with the aluminum centered. Then I put the phone into the mount and clamped it in as best as the mount would allow. While holding the phone firmly in I took a piece of angle and held it to one of the sided with the end marks aligned and marked the length side of the aluminum for depth (this was the 3/4" side as the 1/2" side is the clamping side for the phone). I did the same for the other side. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PHONE IN CROOKED. HAVE IT AS FLAT TO THE BACK AS POSSIBLE! With that done I measured the opening in the rectangle foam side cushion and divided by three to give me evenly spaced screw holes. I drilled two holes on each side for a clearance hole that would accommodate an 8/32 screw. Using my measurements I transferred the holes to the aluminum pieces and drilled two holes in each for tapping 8/32 screws. I put the screws into the Mountek from the inside facing out and then screwed them into the aluminum. From there I checked my fit. Took my angle grinder and buzzed off the ends of the screws after putting the assembly in my vice with soft jaws and took everything apart. Applied black paint and put the screws back in with a little removable Loctite and painted the ends of the screws. I buzzed one screw off a little too deep and cut into the aluminum but that wont be an issue to fix later. I tightened the back ball nut with a large screwdriver (If you use a small one it will cam out and strip the slot) so when the phone is sideways it won't keep rotating. I normally have it in the vertical position so I leave the removable bottom leg on the Mountek. That part can break easily so be careful in taking it off if you do. I hope the photos are clear. I didn't take any assembly ones, silly me. Been trying to upload photos but nothing is happening. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sorry about that but hope the instructions paint a good picture for now.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
so I just got my Maxx on Monday ( found one of the last with 32GB) also picked up the Otter Defender, fits nicely, but than I noticed that the front cover (plastic side) was incorrectly cut, the cut out for the front camera was on the left side not right side.
Went back to VZ corp store, all were the same.
Called Otter and they gave me a hard time, saying I had a Razor Maxx.
followed there email for pictures and awaiting to see what they will do.
Production code was from 2-14, anyone else with a defender case have this issue?

Glad you were able to round up a 32 gb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21