How does the Droid Maxx compare to the older Razr Maxx

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Title kind of tell is all.

I dropped my beloved Razr Maxx face down onto a steel deck and the glass is shattered. Funny thing is that it still works but needs to be replaced.

I can find used ones no problem but figured I might look at the latest offerings and see if there is any significant advantage to upgrading. I will ask Verizon but always find the CS folks to be a bit iffy on tech stuff.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your RAZR Maxx. I have owned both and find the MAXX to be a fantastic incremental update. It feels more refined, has better battery life and has the Smart Notifications......these in particular are awesome. I have been flipping phones every six months or so and after landing on the MAXX am not all that interested in moving to a new unit......I am at the stage where I usually get the itch....In the last few years....Droid X....Droid X2....Bionic....Rezound.......RAZR MAXX.....MAXX.

Can't say enough good things about my MAXX....get it and you won't look back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Basically echoes my sentiments as well. It was a well worthwhile upgrade and I find my self quite satisfied with it and don't really have a burning itch to upgrade.

1anseltm

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Same thing here, had a bionic, Razr maxx and now a Maxx. By far the best phone I've had. I got it when they first came out, and have no itch for a new phone yet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It is a great phone - I've had it since launch day. The only thing about it is that there are phones with better hardware available now - the LG G2, HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note - if you can stand the custom Android builds that those phones use. The LG's and the Note's battery life is about the same as the Maxx, the Galaxy's battery can be swapped and the HTC One is better than last year's model. Also, the camera is mediocre in the Maxx, and Verizon recently "updated" the phone to have only 16 GB storage vs. 32 GB. All that said, the Maxx will run circles around your Razr Maxx, and you obviously were ok with a mediocre camera if you love the Razr Maxx.

I still love the phone. It gets me through the day, and the phone is rock-solid stable.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the RAZR Maxx. Then the s4, lg g2 and the droid Maxx the g2 and the droid Maxx are the best 2. I think you can get the g2 for 50 at Verizon which is a great deal

Posted via Android Central App

dmedesha

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The Maxx is noticeably quicker performance-wise than the RAZR Maxx and RAZR Maxx HD. The speaker is about a bad, but the battery life is phenomenally better. Supports QI wireless charging and Bluetooth Low Energy v4 too (means it will talk to Fitbits, etc) Upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus and the Maxx has that distinct Googleness about it, which I personally like.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The MAXX is better all around than the RAZR MAXX. People complain about the camera, but its a phone...not a camera. My first ($600) digital camera took 640x480 pixel pictures and I was absolutely amazed at the quality. Now I have a phone that makes that thing look like a bad joke.

Also, the touch less controls work better than anything else out there from my experience. A buddy and I did a side by side comparo with the new 5S and let's just say Siri is rather ditzy...and LOVES to talk about it. OK Google now has a much higher success rate and isn't verbose like a bad GPS. The 5S was smoother in the interface as apple stuff often is. However...its still an apple, which would kill it right there for me.

In side by side with the S4, its not even close. The only thing the S4 has is more pixels. Guess what? You can't tell. Unless you're less than a millimeter away from the screen the pixel pitch is so small on both devices its not an issue.

Back to the RAZR. It had smart actions. That was awesome. MAXX has assist, which isn't. Get something like Tasker and it will help. The MAXX is louder than the RAZR. Much louder. The dead will complain if you leave the ringer up all the way. I like that. Call quality is about the same.

The MAXX has 8 separate processors if I am not mistaken. Its built very similar to the PS3. Each is dedicated to a specific set of tasks. It works wonderfully. Quite wonderfully. This phone is the first that does not disappoint. True story bro.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I got the 32GB one in December. For what I use it for, I have to TRY to kill the battery in a day.

My wife and mother-in-law both just upgraded to the Maxx 16GB. (Trust me, they'll never come close to filling that with how they use their phones.) Now those two can kill batteries with all the Facebooking and the games they play (when they decide to play them), so the Maxx may only last one day for them on a full charge, but it sure beats the heck out of other phones, like their old Droid 4s they'd have dead in mere hours.

Bottom line to me is any shortcomings of the phone are offset by the best battery on the market, and the shortcomings aren't many. Every phone has its pros and cons. I'm sure I could look at the M8 or the Galaxy S5 and find cool things the Maxx doesn't have. But the battery juice is key to me, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. As apps become more powerful and advanced, I hope the Maxx ends up being a trailblazer for what battery size should be in a phone when proportioned with said apps. I bet if new Motorola owner Lenovo ever made a Maxx 2, it would have an even bigger battery.

mrpat67

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Like a previous poster I owned a Razr Maxx, then a Galaxy Nexus. I loved the Nexus experience, but it came to a point where I could no longer tolerate the horrible battery and equally bad radios. I have unlimited Verizon data so I had to buy off contract. The Maxx is a great combination in what I loved about each of those phones. It is pretty close to stock Android, with a few well implemented additions. Active display is the best feature I've seen in quite some time. At 400 I consider it quite the bargain. Luckily I bought mine when the 32 GB was still available. The only possible drawback would be the 16 GB if you are the type of person who wants to store a lot on your phone. And like everyone else says the battery is second to none. I am a power user and only horrible signal can kill this battery in a normal day.

Posted via Android Central App

Chuck Kovac

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Similar to nocaldawg... I usually get the itch to upgrade about now (I got the Maxx first week of release in August). That replaced my RAZR Maxx which replaced my (horrible) Droid X2 that replaced my Droid X....... Anyway the only things I miss are HDMI out; SD slot and Smart Actions. Admittedly, I rarely used HDMI out, I have no storage space issues but now management is always important... and Tasker all but takes care of what "Assist" lacks (Assist is near fail --- feels like Apple tried to simplify Smart Actions). Anyway, the Droid Maxx is great. If you liked the RAZR you'll very likely love the Maxx.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank all for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Maxx...got it a couple of days ago and, so far it's been and easy transition. All the apps transferred over and seem to be working with the exception of FoxFi...working on that and will ask a few questions in separate threads.

Once again thanks for the info.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Some things spec wise that is different, higher resolution screen, no micro SD card slot.

This is the first Motorola phone I've had since my flip phone days. At first I went with an Incredible (before the Droid X came out). Motoblur kept me away, then it was the lower resolution screen of the original RAZR/RAZR Maxx, but I'm glad I waited for this one. All of the additions to the 2013 models (Touchless Controls, Active Display, Assist, Connect, etc) are awesome. My only gripes are the camera (not the worst, not the best) and not being able to change the Google Now voice to JARVIS, otherwise I'm good. As long as Lenovo doesn't screw things up, my next phone will be a Moto, or possibly Project Ara (Moto to begin with).

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank all for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Maxx...got it a couple of days ago and, so far it's been and easy transition. All the apps transferred over and seem to be working with the exception of FoxFi...working on that and will ask a few questions in separate threads.

Once again thanks for the info.

Make sure you maximize your savings. Go to mototradeup.com and review the list of eligible trade ups. See if you or any friends have one laying around. If not, buy a motorola Admiral on eBay for under $20. Make sure the esn is clear. It can have a few scuffs. Then go to a Verizon corporate store. Use promo code MOTOJB100. You'll then receive $100 credit on your account.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
FYI. Droid Razr Maxx is not on trade up plan.
So I just turned in my flawless 2yr old Razr Maxx at upgrade for Droid Maxx. Old Maxx was a trouble free workhorse with outstanding battery life till the end. I expect nothing less from the new one.
Love the larger display, Full Kevlar, Better speaker and camera. Especially like the clean OS. Honestly I must not be a "power user" because my old Maxx was plenty fast for all I did. New Maxx loads web pages and pushes emails as fast as I could want.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
FYI. Droid Razr Maxx is not on trade up plan.
So I just turned in my flawless 2yr old Razr Maxx at upgrade for Droid Maxx. Old Maxx was a trouble free workhorse with outstanding battery life till the end. I expect nothing less from the new one.
Love the larger display, Full Kevlar, Better speaker and camera. Especially like the clean OS. Honestly I must not be a "power user" because my old Maxx was plenty fast for all I did. New Maxx loads web pages and pushes emails as fast as I could want.

Would've been better to not do the verizon trade in. Keep as backup or sell. But just my opinion...

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree. I actually kept the old Maxx as backup like you said...when I discovered Verizon wanted to give me little $$$for it. I decided not to get the insurance and use the old MAXX as a kind of insurance.