caller ID?

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
so new to the Droid Maxx and for the first few days when I got the phone, when the phone rang it would show then name (if available) of the caller (not a stored number) but I no longer get the caller ID when the pone rings.
I see a setting in ringer but it reads out the name/number than rings.
I would like to have it ring and just show the name if available of the number calling me.

Thanks,

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
so new to the Droid Maxx and for the first few days when I got the phone, when the phone rang it would show then name (if available) of the caller (not a stored number) but I no longer get the caller ID when the pone rings.
I see a setting in ringer but it reads out the name/number than rings.
I would like to have it ring and just show the name if available of the number calling me.

Thanks,
At least on Verizon, when you get a new smartphone, they give you a free trial of "Caller Name ID". This shows up in your My Account web page as a feature. After the trial expires, you can pay $2.99/mo on your Verizon account to continue it. I don't know how it works for other providers.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was wrong, the app that I use is Current Caller ID.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Best app out there for this. You can not disable it from popping up on contacts you have in your phone book. Free and reliable.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Best app out there for this. You can not disable it from popping up on contacts you have in your phone book. Free and reliable.
How does Current Caller ID work? The stock app uses name information sent by the provider during call setup along with the caller id number, and the provider won't send that info unless you pay them to. This is also how it it works with landline caller name/id. OTOH, I think third-party apps on smartphones do a network lookup on the number to get the name, which can be different from the name provided by the provider.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How does Current Caller ID work? The stock app uses name information sent by the provider during call setup along with the caller id number, and the provider won't send that info unless you pay them to. This is also how it it works with landline caller name/id. OTOH, I think third-party apps on smartphones do a network lookup on the number to get the name, which can be different from the name provided by the provider.

Current Caller ID is owned by White Pages and the info is sent through their service.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if there is any lag with Current Caller ID. With the stock app, the name pops up instantly, since the name is sent by the system along with the number as part of the voice call setup protocol.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if there is any lag with Current Caller ID. With the stock app, the name pops up instantly, since the name is sent by the system along with the number as part of the voice call setup protocol.

Nope, its real quick.