XLTE or recent OTA?? Way better signal in "the dungeon"

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what has caused my signal to get better, but I just noticed that I get a stable 4G connection in my office at work (AKA the dungeon). Before I was lucky to get an unreliable 3g connection every now and then. In the past I had to turn my phone on Airplane mode to preserve battery life. Today I forgot to turn airplane mode on and I found that I'm getting a somewhat stable 4g connection.

What ever it was, Thank You Verizon!!!! I can now use my phone in the dungeon.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I work in a dungeon also (underground basement of our building) and I can't say that my signal is any better, it seems to be about the same but I will keep an eye on it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The 700 Mhz "old style" LTE should work better in a situation like being in a basement. The wider the band, the more likely it is to penetrate solid objects. I think that was one of the reasons why everybody was so hot to get that band when it went up for auction.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I did last November after the update that enabled AWS (aka "XLTE"). My office is hardly a dungeon (2nd floor of a 2 story building) but the location was one that would toggle between 3G and 4G all day. After AWS was enabled, it is a solid 4G signal. My highest speed test in November was just over 90 Mb/s download. It has since fallen (probably due to loading onto the system), but high 30s up into the mid 40s are the current norm.

So the other part of this is that VZW has quietly been turning on AWS for months, but as is typical, they make the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT after they have the system operating in several places.

Posted from my XT1080M