07-15-2014 06:53 AM
96 1234
tools
    Ya'll need to stop talking about this soak test. I keep going to software update with heightened anticipation. Hold my breath for 1 to 2 seconds before the phone says " I'm up to date". Frustrating to say the least.
    I'm just jealous. Enjoying the commentary.

Posted via Android Central App
    jesta192 and skatergirl like this.
    07-11-2014 03:34 PM
    When I am on a Bluetooth call and press power to turn on the screen and then unlock the phone by sliding the lock somewhere I always go to the call screen. Has it always been like this and I was just oblivious? Or is this a change?
    07-11-2014 05:19 PM
    This is the official update. I just flashed it through recovery without issue.

Thanks so much for the link Moo Cow!

Attachment 127054
    Understanding this sounds like a n00b question, how did you apply the update? Did you rename the downloaded file to update.zip and put it in the root of internal storage for the MAXX so you could flash via stock Recovery?

I'm fully stock and would like to apply the update, but I've not tried this sort of thing since the HTC ReZound days.
    07-11-2014 05:35 PM
    ISIS has airways worked on the Maxx, I've used it many times. I'm not sure why they're saying it's being added.

You're correct about Wallet being added... Google rewrote the frameworks so that a secure element wasn't needed, and I believe also to prevent carriers from blocking wallet. Wallet now works on all five of my working phones and tablets.

There are enough people claiming to be on the update who should be able to verify Wallet still works by now.
    Isis is just pre-installed now. No change if you already have it installed. I had both installed, you just have to choose which one you want to use. I use Isis because their always giving me free money. :-)
    07-11-2014 06:00 PM
    Understanding this sounds like a n00b question, how did you apply the update? Did you rename the downloaded file to update.zip and put it in the root of internal storage for the MAXX so you could flash via stock Recovery?

I'm fully stock and would like to apply the update, but I've not tried this sort of thing since the HTC ReZound days.
    You don't have to rename the file. You can if that makes it easier for you to find, but it's not needed.

Just download it, move it to the root (again, not needed, but much easier), boot to recovery, and apply the update from sdcard.

I don't have the exact steps handy, but I found them by looking for the thread about the last OTA. Someone had posted them there. I'll see if I can find them and paste them in here.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    07-11-2014 07:41 PM

Found them:

1) download file to PC
    2) connect your phone via USB.
    3) move the zip file into the "sdcard0" folder.
    4) rename this zip file "update.zip" (this step is optional)
    5) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
    6) wait for the green robot to show up with red triangle "!"
    7) hold VOLUP and press PWR
    8) select update from SDcard, then navigate to the zip file and select it
    9) once install is complete, select continue boot (or whatever it's labeled as. I just did it this morning and I don't remember ☺)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    Moo Cow and Kaptain75329 like this.
    07-11-2014 07:48 PM
    Found them:

1) download file to PC
    5) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
    9) once install is complete, select continue boot (or whatever it's labeled as. I just did it this morning and I don't remember ☺)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    Thank you so kindly for taking the time out to look this up. As it happens, I did some homework on XDA and found guidance that helped me getting the OTA installed. I came back here to effort my post with the news.

I'm pleased to report it went without a hitch - and likewise relieved to see the home, share, and notification bugs fixed. I imagine that's to be expected.. in reading online, it would appear that going from 4.4 to 4.4.4 entails more than 9000 bug fixes and over 1200 tweaks and optimizations. (Maybe it's the placebo effect, but in switching to ART after applying the OTA, there's notable improvement in performance all the way around.)

The writeup is handy though - I copied and sent it to a friend with a MAXX looking to get up to date as well. Really appreciate you taking the time out; thank you again.

=/\= Kaptain75329
    tcmeiss likes this.
    07-11-2014 09:36 PM
    ISIS has airways worked on the Maxx, I've used it many times. I'm not sure why they're saying it's being added.

You're correct about Wallet being added... Google rewrote the frameworks so that a secure element wasn't needed, and I believe also to prevent carriers from blocking wallet. Wallet now works on all five of my working phones and tablets.

There are enough people claiming to be on the update who should be able to verify Wallet still works by now.
    I am also confused about why they are announcing a great new feature that has been there forever. There is a new version of the ISIS app in the play store, but I don't know what, if anything, this has to do with the 4.4.4 soak. ISIS has announced that they are changing their name, to avoid confusion with the Middle East organization of the same name, but again, I don't know what that has to do with this question.
    07-11-2014 09:37 PM
    Switched to ART and cleared cache from recovery and everything is great. Battery after the switch is better than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2014 09:40 PM
    Does whatsapp work with ART now?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2014 10:24 PM
    Thank you so kindly for taking the time out to look this up. As it happens, I did some homework on XDA and found guidance that helped me getting the OTA installed. I came back here to effort my post with the news.

I'm pleased to report it went without a hitch - and likewise relieved to see the home, share, and notification bugs fixed. I imagine that's to be expected.. in reading online, it would appear that going from 4.4 to 4.4.4 entails more than 9000 bug fixes and over 1200 tweaks and optimizations. (Maybe it's the placebo effect, but in switching to ART after applying the OTA, there's notable improvement in performance all the way around.)

The writeup is handy though - I copied and sent it to a friend with a MAXX looking to get up to date as well. Really appreciate you taking the time out; thank you again.

=/\= Kaptain75329
    Not a problem. Glad to help.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    07-12-2014 07:16 AM
    Switched to ART and cleared cache from recovery and everything is great. Battery after the switch is better than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Curious: What does clearing the cache do? Do you lose any settings by doing this?

I was running ART before the update and the constantly crashing Google Play Services has finally stopped.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    07-12-2014 07:19 AM
    Curious: What does clearing the cache do? Do you lose any settings by doing this?

I was running ART before the update and the constantly crashing Google Play Services has finally stopped.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    Clearing the cache, according to Motorola, clears out all the "temp" files on your device. I have found that it helps performance and sometimes battery life, even if I think I stopped an app.

You should not lose any settings, photos, data, etc. Just make sure you don't select the factory reset option.

Instructions here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...,8696/kw/cache

Posted from my XT1080M
    07-12-2014 10:20 AM
    Clearing the cache, according to Motorola, clears out all the "temp" files on your device. I have found that it helps performance and sometimes battery life, even if I think I stopped an app.

You should not lose any settings, photos, data, etc. Just make sure you don't select the factory reset option.

Instructions here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...,8696/kw/cache

Posted from my XT1080M
    Thanks for the info.

Just did it. Took almost 20 minutes. Guess I'll see if it makes any difference now.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    07-12-2014 11:18 AM
    I am rooted and unlocked via the Chinese method. When I get 4.4.4 will I have an issue?
    07-12-2014 02:07 PM
    Found them:

1) download file to PC

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    These are good instructions. But if you go way back to my original link, via your Droid phone, and download it, it appears in the downloads folder. Then you basically follow the same steps to reboot the phone and install the update, which would be in the downloads folder. (I just did this for my wife and mom in law's Maxxs.)

Regardless, its easy peasy stuff.
    07-12-2014 03:54 PM
    In addition to the two or three posts I made in here noticing minor stuff, I can say 4.4.4 is working excellent for me and I have no issues. I am also now using the phone even more for GPS and Bluetooth reasons and such so I'm really freaking draining the battery yet still have 1/3rd left at days end. Man this phone rocks. Love Motorola!

My mom in law also kills her battery in a day playing Farmville. You have to TRY to 100% kill it in less than a day (average person awake 16 hoursish) and somehow she found a way LOL!
    07-12-2014 04:01 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Just did it. Took almost 20 minutes. Guess I'll see if it makes any difference now.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    It used to be quick on previous OSes but 4.4.4 seems to have a long cache clearing time. I've posted my two experiences and you and someone else on here has basically confirmed that.
    tcmeiss likes this.
    07-12-2014 04:03 PM
    I can also add that it took me about 10 minutes to clear the cache. No problems but just takes long.
    07-12-2014 07:50 PM
    These are good instructions. But if you go way back to my original link, via your Droid phone, and download it, it appears in the downloads folder. Then you basically follow the same steps to reboot the phone and install the update, which would be in the downloads folder. (I just did this for my wife and mom in law's Maxxs.)

Regardless, its easy peasy stuff.
    That's how I did it too. I just typed it up that way because some find it easier to just use a pc for the download.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    Moo Cow likes this.
    07-13-2014 05:57 AM
    It used to be quick on previous OSes but 4.4.4 seems to have a long cache clearing time. I've posted my two experiences and you and someone else on here has basically confirmed that.
    I can, also confirm that it takes, about 20 minutes to clear the cashe on 4.4.4.

I hope, that the longer time means that it's doing a better job of clearing the cashe.
    07-13-2014 02:56 PM
    07-13-2014 04:27 PM
    I appears you will loose root. At least using the method linked above to get to 4.4.4 will make you loose root.
    07-13-2014 06:23 PM
    They sent out a survey to official soakers and asked us to do it by tomorrow. Just a rate this and that based on the 1-5 scale type thing and report negatives and positives.

The fact they want the surveys by tomorrow morning CDT means they *could* be seeing few problems and are looking at full release very soon but this is speculation on my part.
    07-13-2014 06:33 PM
    VZW already signed off on it. It's going OTA which is why they want you to finish the soak asap.
    Moo Cow and omahamatt like this.
    07-13-2014 06:57 PM
96 1234