just got the 4.4.4 soak test

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so kindly for taking the time out to look this up. As it happens, I did some homework on XDA and found guidance that helped me getting the OTA installed. I came back here to effort my post with the news.

I'm pleased to report it went without a hitch - and likewise relieved to see the home, share, and notification bugs fixed. I imagine that's to be expected.. in reading online, it would appear that going from 4.4 to 4.4.4 entails more than 9000 bug fixes and over 1200 tweaks and optimizations. (Maybe it's the placebo effect, but in switching to ART after applying the OTA, there's notable improvement in performance all the way around.)

The writeup is handy though - I copied and sent it to a friend with a MAXX looking to get up to date as well. Really appreciate you taking the time out; thank you again.

=/\= Kaptain75329

Not a problem. Glad to help.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Switched to ART and cleared cache from recovery and everything is great. Battery after the switch is better than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Curious: What does clearing the cache do? Do you lose any settings by doing this?

I was running ART before the update and the constantly crashing Google Play Services has finally stopped.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Curious: What does clearing the cache do? Do you lose any settings by doing this?

I was running ART before the update and the constantly crashing Google Play Services has finally stopped.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Clearing the cache, according to Motorola, clears out all the "temp" files on your device. I have found that it helps performance and sometimes battery life, even if I think I stopped an app.

You should not lose any settings, photos, data, etc. Just make sure you don't select the factory reset option.

Instructions here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...wer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache

Posted from my XT1080M

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Clearing the cache, according to Motorola, clears out all the "temp" files on your device. I have found that it helps performance and sometimes battery life, even if I think I stopped an app.

You should not lose any settings, photos, data, etc. Just make sure you don't select the factory reset option.

Instructions here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...wer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache

Posted from my XT1080M

Thanks for the info.

Just did it. Took almost 20 minutes. Guess I'll see if it makes any difference now.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Found them:

1) download file to PC
2) connect your phone via USB.
3) move the zip file into the "sdcard0" folder.
4) rename this zip file "update.zip" (this step is optional)
5) reboot phone in recovery mode (power off phone, hold VOLDN + PWR keys for a few seconds, release, select recovery)
6) wait for the green robot to show up with red triangle "!"
7) hold VOLUP and press PWR
8) select update from SDcard, then navigate to the zip file and select it
9) once install is complete, select continue boot (or whatever it's labeled as. I just did it this morning and I don't remember ☺)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

These are good instructions. But if you go way back to my original link, via your Droid phone, and download it, it appears in the downloads folder. Then you basically follow the same steps to reboot the phone and install the update, which would be in the downloads folder. (I just did this for my wife and mom in law's Maxxs.)

Regardless, its easy peasy stuff.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the two or three posts I made in here noticing minor stuff, I can say 4.4.4 is working excellent for me and I have no issues. I am also now using the phone even more for GPS and Bluetooth reasons and such so I'm really freaking draining the battery yet still have 1/3rd left at days end. Man this phone rocks. Love Motorola!

My mom in law also kills her battery in a day playing Farmville. You have to TRY to 100% kill it in less than a day (average person awake 16 hoursish) and somehow she found a way LOL!

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Just did it. Took almost 20 minutes. Guess I'll see if it makes any difference now.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

It used to be quick on previous OSes but 4.4.4 seems to have a long cache clearing time. I've posted my two experiences and you and someone else on here has basically confirmed that.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
These are good instructions. But if you go way back to my original link, via your Droid phone, and download it, it appears in the downloads folder. Then you basically follow the same steps to reboot the phone and install the update, which would be in the downloads folder. (I just did this for my wife and mom in law's Maxxs.)

Regardless, its easy peasy stuff.

That's how I did it too. I just typed it up that way because some find it easier to just use a pc for the download.

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It used to be quick on previous OSes but 4.4.4 seems to have a long cache clearing time. I've posted my two experiences and you and someone else on here has basically confirmed that.
I can, also confirm that it takes, about 20 minutes to clear the cashe on 4.4.4.

I hope, that the longer time means that it's doing a better job of clearing the cashe.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
They sent out a survey to official soakers and asked us to do it by tomorrow. Just a rate this and that based on the 1-5 scale type thing and report negatives and positives.

The fact they want the surveys by tomorrow morning CDT means they *could* be seeing few problems and are looking at full release very soon but this is speculation on my part.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I appears you will loose root. At least using the method linked above to get to 4.4.4 will make you loose root.

Yes, and I state that in my post. There is no root for 4.4.4. It's still currently in soak. There won't be a root method for it any time soon.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I was supposed to be "replying with quote" to the person that was asking if you would loose root.

Ah, ok. Yea you will lose root. I'm betting you will with the OTA, as well. Getting root is going to be a nightmare as you have 3 challenges....

1. Finding a new priv escalation vulnerability. The pie exploit is patched.
2. Finding someone who can exploit a new vulnerability if you find one.
3. Finding a write protect off exploit so you can persist root.

Those are not impossible challenges, but, if anyone's thinking they're going to get root in a "few days" or possibly even "a few weeks" prepare to be massively disappointed.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
VZW already signed off on it. It's going OTA which is why they want you to finish the soak asap. :)

I was done with the soak basically 10 seconds in, lol. The minor stuff I mentioned in here, even if it's a bug, does not bother me one bit to say OMG FIX THIS! They fixed the home button bug that HAD been bugging me to death. That makes me happy.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac