How fast will the phone charge?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The charger that comes with the phone is a 1amp charger. I've tried both 2.1 and 3amp chargers and it still charges at the same speed. If I have the phone off I'll get right about 1% every 2 minutes. The speed chargers seem useless if the phone doesn't accept the faster charging. Or is there something I'm missing?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
No, you're not missing anything. The charging circuitry only pulls about 1.2 amps, so using a 2 amp charger isn't any faster than the stock 1.2 amp charger.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
My hope is that companies will switch to the USB 3.0 like Samsung did for the Note 3. It charges significantly faster, it's what I miss about my note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Are there phones that charge faster? Not that I want to go to them, just wondering if these faster chargers are worth it for any phones.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Different devices pull at different rates. They're often limited more by how quickly they can charge the battery without damaging the battery. There are some devices (no smartphones that I'm aware of) that run off capacitors instead of batteries, with one of the upsides being VERY rapid charging (and a downside of not being able to hold a charge as long). So, as already said, buying a higher amperage charger than your device was made for doesn't increase the charging speed. It does, however, future-proof your charger, in that if your next device is made to pull more juice, you won't be stuck with a charger that can't keep up. Also, many of the aftermarket chargers have more than one USB port on them, and the higher amperage allows it to keep up with charging two devices, as generally the amperage is the total output of the charger. So if you have a 2.1a charger with two ports, and you plug in two devices that each want to charge at 1.5a, then they're not going to be able to charge at full speed, as that would require 3a. However, if you were to plug in two devices that each charge at 1a, then they should both charge at full speed.

Note that there are also some different charging standards. Some of my aftermarket chargers are marked with "A" and "N/A" beside the two USB ports. One is set up Apple-style, the other to the other standard. Some devices seem to be happy to charge from either, while others are finicky. Generally, if I plug into the port it's finicky about, it'll still charge, but very slowly.

My hope is that companies will switch to the USB 3.0 like Samsung did for the Note 3. It charges significantly faster, it's what I miss about my note 3.

There is a consortium that decides the standard plug style for charging mobile devices. Participation is voluntary (though I believe there are some countries that are now requiring use of the standard, though I think Apple has managed to get around this with adapters or something so far), but most major manufacturers have decided to participate. The current standard is Micro USB. I believe I've read that they've already decided that the next standard will be USB 3.1 Type C, but they are still finalizing the design. It will be smaller than the USB 3 on the Note 3, and reversible.

usbtypec1.jpg

Upcoming Reversible USB Cable Depicted in New Renderings - Mac Rumors

*Edit*

Found more info on the charging standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_external_power_supply

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Imagine that...Apple not adapting an accepted standard. You almost never see that! o_O

As for the charging speed, its limited by heat generated. Not only does heat drastically shorten li-po battery life, lithium is a combustible metal with a fairly low flash point. If it gets too hot, the results can be...explosive. Lithium burns upwards of 2000°F and will cook human flesh in milliseconds. Bones turn to ash and the fluids in your skin boil rapidly making it fizzle and pop like an egg frying in hot oil.

Still want faster charging??? LOL!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk