From a Maxx to Droid Turbo or Nexus 6

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You could reasonably expect to be fine with either of the newer devices then. Even though the Nexus 6 will have the smaller battery (though by no means small), it should run more efficiently without carrying the burden of Touchwiz. Also, with Lollipop, it will be benefiting from Project Volta, which has been tested on numerous devices and shown to deliver about 25-35% longer battery life than the same device running KitKat. Of course, the Turbo would last even longer than it will at launch when it (almost certainly) gets Lollipop down the road.

Thanks, that is good information. I was unaware of the battery improvement from Lollipop.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
We really don't know if there will be one yet. Kitkat was supposed to be better, too.

I do think it will be better, but I want to verify first.

I won't be one to discount the benefit of observing cited performance specs firsthand, but there's been a fair amount of testing, as well as a number of people on these forums who've run the developer preview (against which the final release version might run even better) that have claimed substantial improvements. Here's an example of one test on the Nexus 5.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
36% better battery life! Whoaski! For me, that could mean another day...we're going back to Palm days when it would last most of a week. Sometimes tech gains are freakin' magical and amazing.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with others who aren't getting the same battery life as I did when I first picked up my Maxx, most of the time I can still manage what I did yesterday. I got around 28 hours with just under 5 hours of screen on time and around 2 hours of calls. It may not be the 36 or 48 hours some were getting at the beginning, it's still pretty hard to beat. And like others have said, I'm also using it more than I was before, where I'd usually do most of my web browsing on my Nexus7 and save the battery on my Galaxy S3 before, and even then that phone struggled to make it through a 16 hour day.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the Turbo. I don't care about the look of a phone anymore. I want battery life and some great software optimization, which is what my Droid maxx has been. I came from a Note 3 to the Droid Maxx and it has been wonderful.

Posted via Android Central App

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
At first I was confused about the complaints about the chin on the Turbo. I looked at the photo of the Turbo and then pulled out my DM and there it was, the same chin. It's not even something I pay any attention to, so I guess that won't be a factor in my decision. :) Coming from the RAZR Maxx and now the DM, I guess you can say I'm a battery junkie. I could never go back to my Droid Charge days of running out of battery by 3 p.m. I thought long and hard about the new X, but the battery was a deal breaker. Really wanted to design my own X, but I'll wait for the Turbo. Mine will be in a case anyway.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about this thread today and realized this is the first time I wasn't super excited to upgrade my phone.

My first smartphone was a Droid X and I loved that phone but I really wanted LTE so I upgraded to a Droid RAZR Maxx.

The RAZR Maxx was awesome but I really wanted a phone with NFC so I could use Google Wallet so I upgraded to a Droid Maxx.

The Nexus 6 and Turbo sound like great phones but I don't think either of them have a feature that makes me want to upgrade from my Droid Maxx.

To me the perfect upgrade would be the new Moto X customized with Moto Maker but the small battery and lack of wireless charging are deal breakers.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Note 3 and I will be moving to a Nexus 6 or a Droid Turbo.

I originally had the Maxx, but left for the Note 3 because I wanted a bigger screen. I love the Note, but since day one I have missed the Maxx's battery life.

How has the Droid Maxx held up battery wise? I dont expect or need 48 hours, but I want to know that I can go a full day with zero worries. I dont recall ever tapping my Maxx out in one day, but I barely make half a day with the Note.

I dont know how the Nexus battery life will hold up, I would assume pure Android would be less battery intensive than TouchWiz though

I am getting very concerned about my battery. I've had my Maxx since early Sept 2013 and right now I am lucky to get ten hours of basic use out of the phone and that does not include any game playing. The advanced calling update has made a mess of the battery. For sure I will have to try a factory reset before I make any other decisions about what to do with this phone.

3ris

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The Moto apps everyone seems to be so worried about in the Turbo will be built into android 5.0 for the Nexus 6. I can't post links, but you can find the "'Ok Google' hotword feature while the screen is off" in the android 5.0 changelog. There is also ambient display, which there is an article on over on androidpolice.

I was going for the Turbo, but now I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 6.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The Moto apps everyone seems to be so worried about in the Turbo will be built into android 5.0 for the Nexus 6. I can't post links, but you can find the "'Ok Google' hotword feature while the screen is off" in the android 5.0 changelog. There is also ambient display, which there is an article on over on androidpolice.

I was going for the Turbo, but now I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 6.

From what I can tell, they are not implemented as completely or elegantly as Moto has done. For example, for the hot word to work when the screen is off, the device must be plugged in. My Maxx is only charging when I am sleeping -- an ongoing requirement for me when I buy my next phone.

I have also been on the Motorola Nexus forum, and they have confirmed that the Moto enhancements will not be present on the Nexus 6.

I saw the photos today showing that it was a good bit bigger than the Note 4. I am a little worried that N6 will be to big for me, which may serve to make my decision easier.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this on AC as part of the latest ROM. Lollipop does have a Moto Disply like function. This is huge, I am getting more and more excited by the upgrade the more I read.

Now the big questions on my list are down to two: battery life and size.

Ambient Display
The Nexus 6's Ambient Display feature, mentioned in passing in the Play Store listing for the device, can be found under Settings > Display. When enabled, it wakes the display briefly when a notification arrives, or when the phone is picked up. From there, you can tap the display to go to the regular lock screen. Since the Nexus 4 lacks the required motion coprocessors though, Ambient Display only works when notifications first arrive. The obvious comparison here is Motorola's Moto Display — formerly Active Display — which serves a similar function on the Moto X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton