10-22-2014 09:33 AM
32 12
tools
    I am sure there are a number of folks here in my same situation. With the announcement of the Nexus 6 and the solid rumors of the Droid Turbo I am ready for a new phone. Which direction to go?

The two phones have the same processor, RAM, memory and turbo and Qi charging and QHD display. Pictures of both devices are beautiful, though the jury is out on the chin on the red Turbo.

The camera is different, 21 MP for the Turbo, 13 MP with OIS on the nexus. Both record 4 K video and have dual LED flash. I am leaning toward the Nexus on this one until we see real shots. Megapixels are over rated, but image stabilization is nice. In the end, I don’t see camera being a deciding factor for me.

On-screen buttons for me is a wash as well. I liked having them with the GNex, but the Maxx capacitive buttons do not bother me at all.

Positives for the Droid Turbo:
    • 3900 mAh battery
    • Moto apps (particularly Moto Actions and Display)

Positives for the Nexus
    • 6” screen is nice. I love the idea of the extra real estate
    • Lollipop at lunch and potentially faster updates
    • 64 MB version

In the end, my decision is going to be size of screen vs. batter and Moto Display (Active Display). At this point I am not sure I want a phone without Moto Display . . .

How many folks here are going to upgrade? Which direction are you going?
    10-15-2014 02:37 PM
    So the N6 isn't being built by Moto? That's a deal breaker for me. I love the Moto features and radios...
    10-15-2014 02:57 PM
    I have Note 3 and will switch to either Moto X, Droid Turbo or Nexus 6. I was leaning more towards the Moto X until the Nexus 6 was just announced. The Nexus 6 seems to have everything that the Moto X was lacking.
    10-15-2014 02:57 PM
    Found this: The Nexus 6 smartphone is made by Motorola Mobility, the handset manufacturer that Google is selling to China’s Lenovo Group .

But will it not have the Moto usual features of late? Or built to a different design spec?
    10-15-2014 02:59 PM
    Found this: The Nexus 6 smartphone is made by Motorola Mobility, the handset manufacturer that Google is selling to China’s Lenovo Group .

But will it not have the Moto usual features of late? Or built to a different design spec?
    Nexus 6 is a Moto phone, and shares many of the design features with the Turbo/Moto X. Since it is a Nexus though, it is expected to only have Vanilla Android 5.0, which means it will not have some of the features that are on the Turbo/Moto X.

To me, that is what makes the comparison so interesting.
    10-15-2014 03:08 PM
    The 5" display on the Maxx was stretching it for me last year. A phone with a 6" display is just way too much, way too big for me. At least for me, that would be an easy decision. (The only con is how slow any updates would roll out to the Droids, though the last time there was a Nexus on Verizon it didn't receive timely updates at all, either. I suspect that won't be the case this time, though.)
    Hgouck, Masheen and gamefreak715 like this.
    10-15-2014 03:27 PM
    Is the nexus 6 going to be on Verizon?

-Jason
    10-15-2014 03:38 PM
    Is the nexus 6 going to be on Verizon?

-Jason
    Seems like it: Nexus 6 set for all the major U.S. carriers http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...or-us-carriers

Sent from an AOSP M8
    10-15-2014 03:40 PM
    Nice

-Jason
    10-15-2014 03:42 PM
    It'll be the Turbo for me, if I can afford it off contract.

While I loved my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, it seems I can't live without Active Display and a huge battery anymore. And comparatively fast updates from Motorola are just the icing on the cake.
    10-15-2014 04:59 PM
    no question for me.The 6" screen of the Nexus is to big to carry conveniently. On of the guys that work for me has a 6" device and he is constantly leaving it laying around because he can't fit it in his pockets. And I love the features of the Maxx that I hope will be in the Turbo. With all that said, I am not in any rush to give up my Maxx. On of the best phones I have owned.
    revtech and gamefreak715 like this.
    10-15-2014 08:12 PM
    I currently have the Note 3 and I will be moving to a Nexus 6 or a Droid Turbo.

I originally had the Maxx, but left for the Note 3 because I wanted a bigger screen. I love the Note, but since day one I have missed the Maxx's battery life.

How has the Droid Maxx held up battery wise? I dont expect or need 48 hours, but I want to know that I can go a full day with zero worries. I dont recall ever tapping my Maxx out in one day, but I barely make half a day with the Note.

I dont know how the Nexus battery life will hold up, I would assume pure Android would be less battery intensive than TouchWiz though
    10-16-2014 01:15 AM
    I currently have the Note 3 and I will be moving to a Nexus 6 or a Droid Turbo.

I originally had the Maxx, but left for the Note 3 because I wanted a bigger screen. I love the Note, but since day one I have missed the Maxx's battery life.

How has the Droid Maxx held up battery wise? I dont expect or need 48 hours, but I want to know that I can go a full day with zero worries. I dont recall ever tapping my Maxx out in one day, but I barely make half a day with the Note.

I dont know how the Nexus battery life will hold up, I would assume pure Android would be less battery intensive than TouchWiz though
    I had 2 1/2 hrs talk time and over 3 hours screen up time yesterday. Over 18 hrs on battery. Never had it on a charger and went to bed with 35% charge left. And that is standard for me

JMHO
    10-16-2014 05:12 AM
    Of the two, without more info or actually handling them, I would say Turbo. The Motorola features (active display, etc.) are the primary deciding factor. Size also, but I would want to have hands on both side-by-side. As long as Lollipop still allows me to disable the VZW Bloatware, a DE version is not as important. 64GB on the N6 would be a "nice to have" but not necessary. I am a little over a year on my 32GB Maxx and still have 13GB available.

Either way, it's kind of moot. I don't see changing phones until this time next year, and maybe both will have come down in off-contract pricing.

One caveat, if I were to change carriers and the rumored GSM version of the Turbo doesn't materialize, I would look hard at the N6 vs. Moto X.

Posted from my XT1080M
    10-16-2014 08:24 AM
    And I love the features of the Maxx that I hope will be in the Turbo. With all that said, I am not in any rush to give up my Maxx. On of the best phones I have owned.
    Yup, this . . . active display ought to get some kind of award, its the best feature I've experienced on a phone yet . . and that battery . . =)
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    10-16-2014 09:15 AM
    I had 2 1/2 hrs talk time and over 3 hours screen up time yesterday. Over 18 hrs on battery. Never had it on a charger and went to bed with 35% charge left. And that is standard for me
    It's the same for me. I do not get the same battery life I was getting when I first bought the phone, but part of that is that I am doing more with the phone now that I have adequate battery life and I am sure that the battery has lost a little capacity in one year.

The worst day I have had so far was when I was in a location where cell service goes in and out - it is a very weak signal - and the battery was at 15% at the time I went to bed after taking it off the charger when I woke. I don't talk much on the phone, but I usually have about 2.5 to 3 hours screen on time and I listen to podcasts an average of about 75 minutes a day.

I chose the Maxx on launch day last year because of the close-to-stock build and the battery capacity and, except for the delayed bug fix update to 4.4.4 after we received 4.4 in December, I haven't been disappointed at all by this phone.

And, sorry for the digression, but I'm still a little shocked that Motorola decided to launch the X this year with substandard specs compared with the rumored specs for the Turbo and what we know is coming for the Nexus 6. The only thing that I can think of is that they wanted to save some battery use by using a lower-spec device in order to deliver a thin phone - a decision that Apple always seems to make with the iPhone and which I simply don't understand. I can't believe that they would sell one fewer phone if it was a half millimeter thicker and used the extra space for battery.
    10-16-2014 09:16 AM
    Tough decision. I really don't like the idea of using a 6'' phone, but I have to see it in person to make a valid judgement. I hate the Jay Leno chin on the Turbo, and the chrome accent around the bezel just makes it more obvious. I'm really interested to see what this Metalized Glass Fiber (MGF) is all about. I love the matte soft touch feel of my Maxx. I hope the coating doesn't add a gloss like the Droid Ultra had. I thought that the Nexus would have active display as well, which I absolutely love, btw. There is something to be said about having Lollipop out the box. During major OS updates, a lot can go wrong, I'd prefer my device to come stock with Android 5.0. The Turbo doesn't have an OS listed, so we may be in for a pleasant surprise if it comes with Lollipop.
    10-16-2014 02:07 PM
    Turbo for me.
    10-16-2014 08:38 PM
    10-16-2014 08:44 PM

JMHO
    You could reasonably expect to be fine with either of the newer devices then. Even though the Nexus 6 will have the smaller battery (though by no means small), it should run more efficiently without carrying the burden of Touchwiz. Also, with Lollipop, it will be benefiting from Project Volta, which has been tested on numerous devices and shown to deliver about 25-35% longer battery life than the same device running KitKat. Of course, the Turbo would last even longer than it will at launch when it (almost certainly) gets Lollipop down the road.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:45 PM
    You could reasonably expect to be fine with either of the newer devices then. Even though the Nexus 6 will have the smaller battery (though by no means small), it should run more efficiently without carrying the burden of Touchwiz. Also, with Lollipop, it will be benefiting from Project Volta, which has been tested on numerous devices and shown to deliver about 25-35% longer battery life than the same device running KitKat. Of course, the Turbo would last even longer than it will at launch when it (almost certainly) gets Lollipop down the road.
    Thanks, that is good information. I was unaware of the battery improvement from Lollipop.
    10-17-2014 01:28 PM
    Thanks, that is good information. I was unaware of the battery improvement from Lollipop.
    We really don't know if there will be one yet. Kitkat was supposed to be better, too.

I do think it will be better, but I want to verify first.
    10-17-2014 03:19 PM
    We really don't know if there will be one yet. Kitkat was supposed to be better, too.

I do think it will be better, but I want to verify first.
    I won't be one to discount the benefit of observing cited performance specs firsthand, but there's been a fair amount of testing, as well as a number of people on these forums who've run the developer preview (against which the final release version might run even better) that have claimed substantial improvements. Here's an example of one test on the Nexus 5.
    10-17-2014 03:26 PM
    36% better battery life! Whoaski! For me, that could mean another day...we're going back to Palm days when it would last most of a week. Sometimes tech gains are freakin' magical and amazing.
    10-17-2014 03:43 PM
    While I agree with others who aren't getting the same battery life as I did when I first picked up my Maxx, most of the time I can still manage what I did yesterday. I got around 28 hours with just under 5 hours of screen on time and around 2 hours of calls. It may not be the 36 or 48 hours some were getting at the beginning, it's still pretty hard to beat. And like others have said, I'm also using it more than I was before, where I'd usually do most of my web browsing on my Nexus7 and save the battery on my Galaxy S3 before, and even then that phone struggled to make it through a 16 hour day.
    10-17-2014 05:28 PM
32 12