Minor software update on 10/23/14

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else catch that when you power up the phone, it no longer says anything about being powered by Google, but now powered by Android?

I mean, we know the parent company of Motorola is no longer Google, but they didn't even go Lenovo. They went to "Android". Which isn't a big deal, but again, something I noticed.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else catch that when you power up the phone, it no longer says anything about being powered by Google, but now powered by Android?

I mean, we know the parent company of Motorola is no longer Google, but they didn't even go Lenovo. They went to "Android". Which isn't a big deal, but again, something I noticed.

Fwiw, The parent company of Motorola is still Google. The deal hasn't closed yet.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Also, I believe "Powered by Android" is the preferred language in the agreements with OEMs relating to the usage of Play Services.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, The parent company of Motorola is still Google. The deal hasn't closed yet.

Is there anything that's going to stop it at this point? I haven't seen anything that would, and news on that front has been quiet and nothing to indicate a cancelation of the deal.

Also, I believe "Powered by Android" is the preferred language in the agreements with OEMs relating to the usage of Play Services.

It also would jive with the new commercial airing with Andrew W.K.'s "Party Hard" playing in the background. I love that commercial.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm usually at 79% this time of day. I'm at 58%. No rogue apps.
Sent from my Droid Maxx by Motorola with Tapatalk.

It really was a fluke that I discovered which app was killing my battery. I had been using GSM and I was not finding anything. While it had been on the charger for a while, I went to the stock app and where is shows Android System, Be Weather was running across the bar. It was weird, but I uninstalled it and immediately my battery went back to normal and it seems even better since yesterday's update to the soak test.

I hope you can find what is going wrong. I was ready to do a factory reset. I would still do a factory reset before getting a new phone.

egainer

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I just did this update and now facebook and instagram load EXTREMELY slow on WiFi unless I turn off 4g(airplane mode). Wife's galaxy note 3 has had this problem for months and now that I updated my WiFi is useless for apps. Still works for browsers though

egainer

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Removed my belkin ac750 router and went back to old Linksys. Now these apps work on WiFi again without needing 4g off. What settings could have changed on my phone that stopped it from working with my ac750 router while 4g was on??

Edit: Found similar issues on a nokia forum where the ipv6 was causing the problem. Playing with the settings on my router for ipv6 seem to help, but it's still not as fast as my 4g. Suggestions?

Last edited:

SKIBOARDER119

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else notice when the screen is off and you pass your hand over the proximity sensor the previous release would show the active display. This release does not. Moving the Maxx with the screen off will show the active display.

I'm really pissed about this, I use it all the time to check the time or for notifications between blinks.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
How do we not take updates? I am sick of my battery getting worse. I dont want this update, how do I stop the nags? I missed the opportunity to root and apparently there is no way to root/unlock this phone at this point.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How do we not take updates? I am sick of my battery getting worse. I dont want this update, how do I stop the nags? I missed the opportunity to root and apparently there is no way to root/unlock this phone at this point.

Without root you can't stop the nags. This update is so minor and I'd suspect it changes nothing about battery, so you may as well take it. If anything, I've read that it improves mobile handoff between lte and 3G data, so it probably has better battery life.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Without root you can't stop the nags. This update is so minor and I'd suspect it changes nothing about battery, so you may as well take it. If anything, I've read that it improves mobile handoff between lte and 3G data, so it probably has better battery life.

I agree the update didn't affect my battery life at all...especially didn't make it worse.

Tamar Yellin

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded either Monday or Tuesday (can't remember which). Everything seems fine except my phone randomly rebooted twice this morning. Has anyone else had issues with random reboots after the 23.3.24 update?

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded either Monday or Tuesday (can't remember which). Everything seems fine except my phone randomly rebooted twice this morning. Has anyone else had issues with random reboots after the 23.3.24 update?

I took the "upgrade" and keep having the screen animation of closing and coming back. Its irritating.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Yes I too had two random reboots late yesterday evening and I have had the update since last Friday I believe.