Voice mail Icon

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
hello all,

so yesterday (Before I did the system update) went to check my voice mail, I accidentally hit #4 not #1, listened to my message and hit 7 to delete, (i have 2 saved messages) well the VM icon did not disappear, tried to reboot, nothing, tried to leave myself a VM and delete it, icon still there, now it shows yesterday date next to it. I searched and see option 4 was for a Message Waiting Indicator. tried to turn on and than off, still VM icon stuck. :(

Any suggestions? don't want to do a reset that would be a last option.

Thanks,
Xanth

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I dialed into voicemail, entered password, that hit #4 instead of #1 said notifacation option on or off don't remember. Than hit #1 to listen to meaaasge and than 7 to delete message. Icon did not disappear. Tried to get back to personal options to Chang to off, nothing, changed to on, nothing.
Thanks for taking time with this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the instructions PDF in that above linked webpage (click on the instructions on the lower half of that page), you'll see that 4 on the main menu is Personal Options, and 1 on the Personal Options menu is Message Waiting Indicator On/Off. So go to your voicemail, enter your password, then dial 4 and then 1 again, and that should toggle the Message Waiting Indicator back to its normal setting (presumably Off).

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
But if he has no messages, the indicator shouldn't show up. I haven't been able to get rid of that indicator since Verizon forced their stupid visual voicemail junk on everyone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

fl2oftmd

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If you go to setting > apps > all > phone. Clear data it goes away. No it does not clear contacts. Just takes voicemail notification off notification bar.

fl2oftmd Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But if he has no messages, the indicator shouldn't show up. I haven't been able to get rid of that indicator since Verizon forced their stupid visual voicemail junk on everyone.

That would make sense, but I was basing my suggestion on the fact that this started after toggling that Message Waiting Indicator function on or off. Regardless of any messages that are actually waiting, maybe that toggle messed things up a bit.

Clearing Data from the Phone app also sounds like a good idea.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you go to setting > apps > all > phone. Clear data it goes away. No it does not clear contacts. Just takes voicemail notification off notification bar.

fl2oftmd Posted via the Android Central App

Awesome, thank you. I've been looking for a way to get rid of that stupid icon for months. I'm assuming it will now function like it's supposed to, show up when I have a message and go away when I don't?

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Woke up this morning and icon gone. Maybe it cleared it self I did nothing. So if I go into option 4 than I guess I want to make sure toggle is on so it will show and VM icon.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This wasn't a permanent fix. Restarted my phone and the icon is back, but no messages in my inbox. Get your **** together, Verizon. You forced this visual voicemail junk down our throats. The least you could do is clean up the bug it introduced with the OTA release.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This wasn't a permanent fix. Restarted my phone and the icon is back, but no messages in my inbox. Get your **** together, Verizon. You forced this visual voicemail junk down our throats. The least you could do is clean up the bug it introduced with the OTA release.

If was truly a BUG with the software updated then how come it is not affecting everyone's device. I took the update and activated the advanced calling feature and had to switch to the visual voice mail and I don't have the issue that you describe. And I don't think they forced the visual voicemail down your throat. The other voicemail is just not compatible with the advanced calling feature so if YOU elect to use the new feature(and you don't have to) then you have to make the switch to the visual voicemail. JMHO

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If was truly a BUG with the software updated then how come it is not affecting everyone's device. I took the update and activated the advanced calling feature and had to switch to the visual voice mail and I don't have the issue that you describe. And I don't think they forced the visual voicemail down your throat. The other voicemail is just not compatible with the advanced calling feature so if YOU elect to use the new feature(and you don't have to) then you have to make the switch to the visual voicemail. JMHO

Visual voicemail was forced on us as a "trial" before advanced calling was released and I'm hardly the only person that has the message waiting bug. I also have never opted into advanced calling, so there goes your little theory on that. Congrats that you don't have the bug but the world is bigger than just you.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Visual voicemail was forced on us as a "trial" before advanced calling was released and I'm hardly the only person that has the message waiting bug. I also have never opted into advanced calling, so there goes your little theory on that. Congrats that you don't have the bug but the world is bigger than just you.

I am sorry sir but you are simply wrong.. I just went into my account on the VZW website and deactivated the advanced calling feature and by doing that it allowed me to change back to the old standard voicemail system (NOT visual vm). I even went as far as to call my cell phone from my work phone and leave myself a message. The message icon showed up on my cell and I selected it and it was the old voice mail system "please enter your password and hit pound, blah, blah, blah" so I did and listened to my message and promptly deleted it. So it's not a theory anymore it is now fact.
If you want to go back to the old voice mail system there is nothing stopping you from doing so, just saying! Just follow the steps that I went through and you will be just fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A bug doesn't have to be experienced by everyone. It could be some interaction with another piece of software or firmware that some people have but others don't.

Let's keep the discussion supercool and friendly, yeah?:cool:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apparently my above post wasn't very clear. So here we go...

Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, does anyone have an actual solution to this bug, or does it require another OTA?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One possible troubleshooting tactic is to boot into Safe Mode, then start up Visual Voicemail. Then add other apps one by one until the problem recurs--that may tell you which app is causing the conflict. Obviously, this would be a pretty tedious process, but it's one way to do it.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
One possible troubleshooting tactic is to boot into Safe Mode, then start up Visual Voicemail. Then add other apps one by one until the problem recurs--that may tell you which app is causing the conflict. Obviously, this would be a pretty tedious process, but it's one way to do it.

Is there a way to completely remove visual voicemail from my phone? I don't use it and have never opted in to advanced calling. If what I've read about advanced calling is true (losing 4g signal results in a dropped call) I don't want anything to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae