Does Softcard only work with AMEX? Of so, what's the best alternative for MasterCard and Visa; Google Wallet?

Posted via Android Central App
    01-05-2015 02:00 AM
    It only works with a very limited number of credit cards. Google wallet will let you add any debit or credit card. All tap to pay Google wallet purchases will be through a virtual MasterCard that deduct from whatever card you choose as your funding source. Softcard works in a very similar way. The amex serve card can have your debit card linked to it so that it will be funded by your debit card. So in that sense it works with any debit card similarly to the way Google wallet does. No real difference to me using either one.

Just my opinion and others may have differing views.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-05-2015 02:49 AM
    Google Wallet works on my LG G3. IMHO, with tap and pay far from being universally accepted, you still need to carry plastic. I use Amex as my primary card, so using it with Softcard on my phone is redundant. Since I can link a MC or Visa to Google Wallet, I can eliminate one plastic card from my wallet.
    However, I think it will be many years before Tap and Pay will eliminate the need for credit cards, if ever. I'd rather see chips in the credit cards.
    While Apple Pay seems quick, haven't used it, assuming the app is running, one merely enables payment with the fingerprint reader and taps the phone. But look at what one has to do with Google Wallet (or Softcard).
    Turn on phone, enable NFC, open GW app, enter PIN, tap phone, (optionally) close app, turn off NFC, turn off phone.
    Compare than to: open wallet, take out credit card, swipe credit card, put credit card back in wallet.
    My attempts to use Google Wallet have been successful on the first attempt less than 50% of the time, mostly at McDonalds. Sometimes there is no confirmation that the charge was successful. Tap and Pay has a long way to go.
    01-05-2015 02:58 AM
    I just read the instructions for GW and it said you don't have to open the app, just hold the phone to the reader. I'm sure the phone has to be unlocked first and the instructions say you may have to enter your PIN (a good thing IMO).
    01-05-2015 03:34 AM
    While Apple Pay seems quick, haven't used it, assuming the app is running, one merely enables payment with the fingerprint reader and taps the phone. But look at what one has to do with Google Wallet (or Softcard).
    Turn on phone, enable NFC, open GW app, enter PIN, tap phone, (optionally) close app, turn off NFC, turn off phone.
    Wait, why is Apple Pay so simple ("assuming the app is running") but with Google Wallet I have to do all of those things, like turn on the phone, turn on NFC, then turn those off when I'm done? Why would I turn NFC off when the transaction is done, or turn off my phone afterward? Why would my phone be turned off in the first place?

In almost every case when I am shopping I am waiting to pay, so it's not all that difficult to have the phone prepared (by starting the Google wallet app and entering the pin) before I get to the register to pay.

You're right that Apple is simpler with touch id, when that works (some people have issues over time with fingerprints being recognized), but you do have to enter your Pin at least once after starting the phone for it to be unlocked. So, if like in your example with Android when your phone is off, you have that extra step (turn on the phone, enter Pin or password to unlock the phone).

All that said, I generally agree with you that credit cards are simpler and universal, but obviously also fraught with identity theft issues lately. I have chipped credit card but have yet to find a place here in the US that has the terminals (the post office does but they haven't enabled the chip reader part yet, the last I tried) so I still have to swipe the card, and a home Depot style data breach isn't going to protect those card details from being stolen.
    01-05-2015 05:29 AM
    Wait, why is Apple Pay so simple ("assuming the app is running") but with Google Wallet I have to do all of those things, like turn on the phone, turn on NFC, then turn those off when I'm done? Why would I turn NFC off when the transaction is done, or turn off my phone afterward? Why would my phone be turned off in the first place?

In almost every case when I am shopping I am waiting to pay, so it's not all that difficult to have the phone prepared (by starting the Google wallet app and entering the pin) before I get to the register to pay.

You're right that Apple is simpler with touch id, when that works (some people have issues over time with fingerprints being recognized), but you do have to enter your Pin at least once after starting the phone for it to be unlocked. So, if like in your example with Android when your phone is off, you have that extra step (turn on the phone, enter Pin or password to unlock the phone).

All that said, I generally agree with you that credit cards are simpler and universal, but obviously also fraught with identity theft issues lately. I have chipped credit card but have yet to find a place here in the US that has the terminals (the post office does but they haven't enabled the chip reader part yet, the last I tried) so I still have to swipe the card, and a home Depot style data breach isn't going to protect those card details from being stolen.
    well its not really turning the phone on and off. its more of waking your phone up. which is a step but its near instant. you can leave NFC on because its not active while the phone's screen is off or the phone is locked. there are options to change that function but its a security measure for our protection. so thats 2 steps eliminated. Also Sandman is correct in mentioning that google wallet can be activated by tapping the phone to the terminal. so thats another step removed as well.
    01-05-2015 09:58 AM
    I just read the instructions for GW and it said you don't have to open the app, just hold the phone to the reader.....
    While waiting in line at McD's, I opened the GW app, entered my PIN, and by the time my order was rung up, my phone went to sleep. Tried the Tap and Pay, didn't work. Woke the phone up with GW on the display and then the T&P worked. Could have been some other factor that didn't allow the charge, but I figured the app has to be active on the screen to work properly.
    01-05-2015 11:45 AM
    Every time I use it, I have the app open. Don't think it works not open. Feel like I tried before.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-05-2015 12:15 PM
    While waiting in line at McD's, I opened the GW app, entered my PIN, and by the time my order was rung up, my phone went to sleep. Tried the Tap and Pay, didn't work. Woke the phone up with GW on the display and then the T&P worked. Could have been some other factor that didn't allow the charge, but I figured the app has to be active on the screen to work properly.
    It shouldnt need to be open...instructions. The phone just has to be unlocked and not asleep so that NFC is active.
    01-05-2015 12:43 PM