WiFi on?

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So lately I've been having an issue with my battery. Every so often it will dip about 20% out of nowhere. Plug it in and sometimes it'll jump back up right away. Also battery just isn't lasting as long. Part of the reason is a poorer signal at work. When i check battery stats though, WiFi is the usually the 2nd item on there after the screen. I almost never have the WiFi on. Anyone have any idea why this might be popping up or how to get rid of it? And yes I've tried turning WiFi on and off and regular reboots and cache wipe

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Turn wifi scanning off. It keeps turning on to look for a signal, then turning off. (It will be scanning when you're on that page, turning it off. What else would you be on that page for, except to select a wifi signal, right? (Some people design things with their minds turned off.)

2) The battery sounds like a tiny dendrite. (https://www.google.com/search?q=lithium+battery+dendrites&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 for more than you ever wanted to know about them.) Basically, there's an inherent fault in the way a lithium battery works - it can "grow" shorts. That drops the voltage (sometimes to 0, sometimes long enough to turn the phone off), then the short blows out like a fuse and th phone is working again.

There's no "fix". The industry is still working on redesigning the chemistry so dendrites don't form. $50 to have a battery replaced? That hurts. But think about cars. If one of those batteries in a hybrid or electric car grows a dendrite, and it's under warranty or extended service contract, someone is out a few thousand dollars. The industry is working really hard on this, they just haven't come up with a solution yet. (Plugging in the charger blows the dendrite immediately, and since it hasn't drawn the battery down that much, it'll go back to a few percent lower than it was when the dendrite shorted it.)

You really have 2 choices:

Live with it
or
Have replace the battery. You could print out some of the points in some of those articles, as proof that it's a manufacturing defect, and see if they'll give you one free, but I'd still be ready to pay for it.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Turned off the always scanning for WiFi crap. That should help the battery a little. I was thinking it might be a battery defect, but was hoping it was more a software thing. I'd rather not replace the battery at this point. Hopefully it's something i can deal with till a phone I'm interested in pops up. Appreciate the help

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis