08-27-2018 08:08 AM
68 123
tools
    I'm having the same issue and haven't changed anything in my phone in a while. I too am connecting at my house through a access point hard wired to my router. Someone mentioned the flashlight app causing it? Could you be more specific? I use the one that came with battery widget, when I get home from work late night.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-19-2015 08:21 AM
    I don't think anyone here mentioned any flashlight app.

One person had their phone just start working, I deleted all my apps and re-installed what I wanted, and one person did a factory reset & started reinstalling apps.

While you haven't changed anything on your phone, many apps probably have updated. Make a list of all of your apps, and start deleting them in small batches. I added mine in sets of six, becaused I didn't want to walk away from the house after every single app that I added.

By removing apps in small batches, you would have a good chance of finding out which app was causing the problem.

For your first step, though, reboot your phone in Safe Mode, and make sure the problem does NOT exist when running in Safe Mode. My phone was able to reconnect to my home network when I ran in Safe Mode, and after I deleted all apps that could be uninstalled.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
    anon(18763) likes this.
    08-19-2015 08:42 AM
    In the past there have been people who had an issue where the wifi radio would not turn on at all get fixed by uninstalling a flashlight app (I'm not sure which one), but this problem is different. Those people (there were more than one) would find the wifi radio switched off and, when toggled on, would turn right off again.
    08-19-2015 09:09 AM
    Well folks, I things were working fine until just a few minutes ago. Been connecting as per the norm. Came home last night, connected to my home network. This morning I used my phone as a hotspot (away from my network). Got finished doing what I needed to do, turned it off. Arrived at my office and the phone will not connect to the network I connect to everyday. I'm thinking the hot spot triggered something? No apps were updated or added in the last 18 hours (I have apps set not to auto-update). I rebooted the phone and it connected right away. Turned the wi-fi off and back on again and no connection to the network (and normal network won't show up).

When I think back, I used the hotspot last Wednesday too. And, I believe that is when my issue started... my first post about this was on Thursday. Previous to the last 2 weeks, I've used the hotspot with no post-usage issues.

Has anyone else used the hotspot?

Just to clarify, I'm referring to turning my phone in to a hotspot using the "Mobile Hotspot" app that is pre-installed in the phone.

KS
    08-19-2015 09:35 AM
    In the past there have been people who had an issue where the wifi radio would not turn on at all get fixed by uninstalling a flashlight app (I'm not sure which one), but this problem is different. Those people (there were more than one) would find the wifi radio switched off and, when toggled on, would turn right off again.
    Eww, that would be even worse than this problem. At least a restart gave a temporary fix for the reconnect problem.
    08-19-2015 10:29 AM
    Kevin, I haven't used the hotspot on this phone at all.
    08-19-2015 10:30 AM
    I was thinking it may be caused by Moto assist. I have it set for sleep mode when I get home from work (I work evenings until 1am) and am wondering if that may trigger some sort of shut down. Maybe a recent update broke it. Anyone else use it?

I haven't used Hotspot either. Unfortunately I'm out of town for the next week but will try your advice when I return. Thanks for the tips

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-20-2015 12:00 AM
    I never had any flashlight app on my phone and I sure haven't used my phone as a hotspot due to the fact that I am traveling in Australia at the moment...LOL. Mine is the one that just started working fine and I didn't do anything to it so it quite possibly could have been an app that updated and fixed the issue but I checked all of my recent updated apps and none of them jump out as anything that would really affect wifi.
    08-20-2015 02:21 AM
    Thank you guys for all your posts, this is exactly the same behavior that I just started to experience this past week. Turning airplane mode on temporarily fixes the problem, but as was mentioned, it does not reconnect. What is strange is that I only experience this issue on my home network - my phone connects to my work network without any issues. I have been running the phone all day now in Safe Mode, and I will see if it automatically connects when I get home. Is the general consensus this is an app issue?
    08-20-2015 03:55 PM
    Just a quick follow up: when I arrived back home with my device in Safe Mode, it immediately connected to Wifi. I think this indicates the issue to be caused by a third party app.
    08-20-2015 10:27 PM
    Thank you guys for all your posts, this is exactly the same behavior that I just started to experience this past week. Turning airplane mode on temporarily fixes the problem, but as was mentioned, it does not reconnect. What is strange is that I only experience this issue on my home network - my phone connects to my work network without any issues. I have been running the phone all day now in Safe Mode, and I will see if it automatically connects when I get home. Is the general consensus this is an app issue?
    Well, I'm convinced it's an app issue. How did it work when you got home?
    08-20-2015 10:27 PM
    Just a quick follow up: when I arrived back home with my device in Safe Mode, it immediately connected to Wifi. I think this indicates the issue to be caused by a third party app.
    I should have read the thread before I replied :-).
    OK, so in my opinion, you should try the opposite tactic from what I used. Start deleting apps a few at a time, and keep track of what you delete.

OTOH, if it's easier for you to delete all apps first, then add them back in, by all means, do so.
    08-20-2015 10:29 PM
    I had identical problem, went to Verizon store, couldn't connect to a hotspot, was advised to try hard reset. When that didn't work they gave me a free phone under 1 yr. warranty and new phone works perfectly! I also have the same Asus router.
    08-21-2015 01:46 AM
    I had identical problem, went to Verizon store, couldn't connect to a hotspot, was advised to try hard reset. When that didn't work they gave me a free phone under 1 yr. warranty and new phone works perfectly! I also have the same Asus router.
    That's good news; I'm out of warranty, but still under contract, so I doubt VZW would have done that for me. I'm still somewhat curious about what app was causing the problem, but not curious enough that I kept a list of all the apps I deleted. I've got what I want on the phone now, and it's working fine.
    08-21-2015 08:22 AM
    My wife and I were astonished when we noticed that her phone started exhibiting the same behavior this weekend (hmm, mine started misbehaving on a weekend).

This time, I started doing a force stop on apps, and not restarting them. I did this about 6 at a time, then walk out of the house far enough to drop the network & then back.

I reached the point where the phone would reconnect, and looked at the list of apps I had stopped that time. I restarted Gmail & FitBit, and tried again. No reconnection. I removed FitBit, and the phone would reconnect.

This is really odd, as I uninstalled FitBit on my phone when I was having the issue, and that did not help.

I have FitBit running on my phone now, and it works fine. I'll probably re-install FitBit on hers. I should have noted what version of FitBit was on her phone. I have 2.9.1

So, if you're having this problem, and have FitBit, uninstall it first, reboot your phone, and see if that is the issue. Reinstall FitBit if you want, and try again.
    08-25-2015 08:28 AM
    I started having this issue, and i found that if i turn off my Bluetooth connection, my wifi automatically reconnects. I can than turn Bluetooth off and have no issues (didn't reset)
    08-25-2015 11:16 AM
    I started having this issue, and i found that if i turn off my Bluetooth connection, my wifi automatically reconnects. I can than turn Bluetooth off and have no issues (didn't reset)
    That does make sense with the problems I've encountered with both phones, since the FitBit uses Bluetooth (low power?) to communicate with the FitBit app on the phone. I didn't try turning off Bluetooth, though.
    08-25-2015 11:29 AM
    I lost my Fitbit so I can't comment on that but I hope turning off Bluetooth fixes your issue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    08-25-2015 11:31 AM
    Hi guys, I'm back with some interesting findings... I also assumed this was a hardware issue and was still under warranty so I get a replacement shipped to me. Activated the new phone last Friday (21st) and everything has worked great. Until today.

I left my office, went to lunch, came back and couldn't connect to the network I was connecting to regularly. Couldn't even see the network and only saw one or 2 others versus the normal 6-7 that show up in this range. I thought about what app I used while away... GasBuddy. I hadn't set up the app since getting the new phone but I did set it up today as I needed gas and used the app.

I rebooted the phone, connected to the Wi-Fi network as normal. Opened GasBuddy, stayed connected. Turned off the Wi-Fi for about 30 seconds and turned it back on. No connection. Uninstalled GasBuddy and WITHOUT rebooting the phone, the device reconnected to the Wi-Fi network. I did this sequence 2 times just to make sure. Same result both times.

What could cause this in that app? I'm assuming there could be other apps with the same code/programming? (I'm not a code guy or programmer or anything close so no judging my terms here!)

Just thought I'd share this finding with everyone. Anyone else use that app?
    08-25-2015 12:47 PM
    My only thought about Gas Buddy is that it looks for location, and triangulating WiFi access points is one method of location services. Maybe Gas Buddy doesn't stop looking for location even after you've used the app?

(My Droid Maxx hit two years old on August 20. [The first phone I've ever had that I wasn't itching to replace months before the 2 year date.] FWIW, I've never had the WiFi issues you guys are describing.)
    08-25-2015 01:39 PM
    doogald's idea is a good one, I think. We both have GasBuddy on our phones; I'll probably use it still, but force stop it after I'm done.
    08-25-2015 01:55 PM
    Thanks Kevin Gas Buddy did it for me. I'll leave it off the phone for a few days and see if I am fixed.
    08-25-2015 08:28 PM
    Just for a data point, I don't have Gas Buddy on my phone. My wifi issues are similar, but not exactly the same. My phone will only connect to some wifi's and the other it can see but won't connect too.
    Acts exactly the same in safe mode as well.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping Lollipop fixes it.
    08-25-2015 11:27 PM
    Yeah, but ... when are we getting Lollipop? I've seen somewhere that the Droid Maxx will get it, but nothing on dates.
    08-26-2015 09:00 AM
    Just for a data point, I don't have Gas Buddy on my phone. My wifi issues are similar, but not exactly the same. My phone will only connect to some wifi's and the other it can see but won't connect too.
    Acts exactly the same in safe mode as well.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping Lollipop fixes it.
    Is your Bluetooth on when your trying to connect?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    08-26-2015 03:53 PM
68 123