Droid Maxx won't reconnect to home network when I return to the house

kevinstrehle

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Went ahead and just did the factory reset... Phone was running slow anyway and was probably about time to do it. No clue what caused the issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamie218

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that when I turn airplane mode on then off, my WiFi connects and stays connected when I am on top of my router. I have walk next door and WiFi stays on. Go down about 3 houses and it is gone. Then upon arrival to my router it does not reconnect. This is frustrating the heck out of me. My data is getting eaten up rather quickly. Plus when I do see my network, it says it is saved and secured. Asks me if I want to connect and it is a strong signal, because I am sitting right next to the router. I hit connect and every network that I see in my list disappears, including my network that I am on top of literally. I am beyond frustrated. I am wishing the first of the year is arriving rather quickly so I can upgrade my phone to the LG G4. Sorry to have to put Motorola down, but with all the phones I had in the past, Motorola has failed all within the last couple of months before my Verizon upgrade date.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have started having the same issue but I just got to Australia and thought that had something to do with it. I connect to the hotel wifi and all is good but if I get out of range and lose it the only way I can reconnect is to restart the phone.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I would blame the phone. I think it is a misbehaving app. Try restarting the phone in safe mode, and see what happens. If it properly reconnects, that's a good indication it's an app.
Kevin did a factory reset (are you working now, Kevin)
I removed all apps that could be removed, and re-installed in blocks of 4-6 apps until I had what I wanted. Whatever app was causing me the problem did not make that list, and the phone is working great again.
You could also try removing apps in small groups, noting what you removed, and doing the walk down the street & back after each group (it's a pain, but it works)

Good Luck.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why but it is working fine now and I didn't do anything. Didn't remove any apps, didn't do an FDR, nothing. It had been acting as you described for two days but now is fine. I did wipe the cache partition but it didn't seem to fix it unless it was a delay.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and haven't changed anything in my phone in a while. I too am connecting at my house through a access point hard wired to my router. Someone mentioned the flashlight app causing it? Could you be more specific? I use the one that came with battery widget, when I get home from work late night.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone here mentioned any flashlight app.

One person had their phone just start working, I deleted all my apps and re-installed what I wanted, and one person did a factory reset & started reinstalling apps.

While you haven't changed anything on your phone, many apps probably have updated. Make a list of all of your apps, and start deleting them in small batches. I added mine in sets of six, becaused I didn't want to walk away from the house after every single app that I added.

By removing apps in small batches, you would have a good chance of finding out which app was causing the problem.

For your first step, though, reboot your phone in Safe Mode, and make sure the problem does NOT exist when running in Safe Mode. My phone was able to reconnect to my home network when I ran in Safe Mode, and after I deleted all apps that could be uninstalled.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
In the past there have been people who had an issue where the wifi radio would not turn on at all get fixed by uninstalling a flashlight app (I'm not sure which one), but this problem is different. Those people (there were more than one) would find the wifi radio switched off and, when toggled on, would turn right off again.

kevinstrehle

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Well folks, I things were working fine until just a few minutes ago. Been connecting as per the norm. Came home last night, connected to my home network. This morning I used my phone as a hotspot (away from my network). Got finished doing what I needed to do, turned it off. Arrived at my office and the phone will not connect to the network I connect to everyday. I'm thinking the hot spot triggered something? No apps were updated or added in the last 18 hours (I have apps set not to auto-update). I rebooted the phone and it connected right away. Turned the wi-fi off and back on again and no connection to the network (and normal network won't show up).

When I think back, I used the hotspot last Wednesday too. And, I believe that is when my issue started... my first post about this was on Thursday. Previous to the last 2 weeks, I've used the hotspot with no post-usage issues.

Has anyone else used the hotspot?

Just to clarify, I'm referring to turning my phone in to a hotspot using the "Mobile Hotspot" app that is pre-installed in the phone.

KS

Last edited:

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
In the past there have been people who had an issue where the wifi radio would not turn on at all get fixed by uninstalling a flashlight app (I'm not sure which one), but this problem is different. Those people (there were more than one) would find the wifi radio switched off and, when toggled on, would turn right off again.

Eww, that would be even worse than this problem. At least a restart gave a temporary fix for the reconnect problem.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking it may be caused by Moto assist. I have it set for sleep mode when I get home from work (I work evenings until 1am) and am wondering if that may trigger some sort of shut down. Maybe a recent update broke it. Anyone else use it?

I haven't used Hotspot either. Unfortunately I'm out of town for the next week but will try your advice when I return. Thanks for the tips

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I never had any flashlight app on my phone and I sure haven't used my phone as a hotspot due to the fact that I am traveling in Australia at the moment...LOL. Mine is the one that just started working fine and I didn't do anything to it so it quite possibly could have been an app that updated and fixed the issue but I checked all of my recent updated apps and none of them jump out as anything that would really affect wifi.

DRap777

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you guys for all your posts, this is exactly the same behavior that I just started to experience this past week. Turning airplane mode on temporarily fixes the problem, but as was mentioned, it does not reconnect. What is strange is that I only experience this issue on my home network - my phone connects to my work network without any issues. I have been running the phone all day now in Safe Mode, and I will see if it automatically connects when I get home. Is the general consensus this is an app issue?

DRap777

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick follow up: when I arrived back home with my device in Safe Mode, it immediately connected to Wifi. I think this indicates the issue to be caused by a third party app.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys for all your posts, this is exactly the same behavior that I just started to experience this past week. Turning airplane mode on temporarily fixes the problem, but as was mentioned, it does not reconnect. What is strange is that I only experience this issue on my home network - my phone connects to my work network without any issues. I have been running the phone all day now in Safe Mode, and I will see if it automatically connects when I get home. Is the general consensus this is an app issue?

Well, I'm convinced it's an app issue. How did it work when you got home?

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick follow up: when I arrived back home with my device in Safe Mode, it immediately connected to Wifi. I think this indicates the issue to be caused by a third party app.

I should have read the thread before I replied :).
OK, so in my opinion, you should try the opposite tactic from what I used. Start deleting apps a few at a time, and keep track of what you delete.

OTOH, if it's easier for you to delete all apps first, then add them back in, by all means, do so.

Aldybaldy

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I had identical problem, went to Verizon store, couldn't connect to a hotspot, was advised to try hard reset. When that didn't work they gave me a free phone under 1 yr. warranty and new phone works perfectly! I also have the same Asus router.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had identical problem, went to Verizon store, couldn't connect to a hotspot, was advised to try hard reset. When that didn't work they gave me a free phone under 1 yr. warranty and new phone works perfectly! I also have the same Asus router.

That's good news; I'm out of warranty, but still under contract, so I doubt VZW would have done that for me. I'm still somewhat curious about what app was causing the problem, but not curious enough that I kept a list of all the apps I deleted. I've got what I want on the phone now, and it's working fine.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I were astonished when we noticed that her phone started exhibiting the same behavior this weekend (hmm, mine started misbehaving on a weekend).

This time, I started doing a force stop on apps, and not restarting them. I did this about 6 at a time, then walk out of the house far enough to drop the network & then back.

I reached the point where the phone would reconnect, and looked at the list of apps I had stopped that time. I restarted Gmail & FitBit, and tried again. No reconnection. I removed FitBit, and the phone would reconnect.

This is really odd, as I uninstalled FitBit on my phone when I was having the issue, and that did not help.

I have FitBit running on my phone now, and it works fine. I'll probably re-install FitBit on hers. I should have noted what version of FitBit was on her phone. I have 2.9.1

So, if you're having this problem, and have FitBit, uninstall it first, reboot your phone, and see if that is the issue. Reinstall FitBit if you want, and try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC