WiFi and Bluetooth Conflict

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Droid MAXX, OS 4.4.4. Not rooted, and since it's used in my work environment, can't be rooted.

Recently I've been having trouble connecting to WiFi in all the same places that worked flawlessly for years. After some time, I noticed that when I drove into my driveway, Bluetooth would disconnect in my truck, and then I'd have trouble with WiFi as well.

I think I've finally isolated both problems to a BT and WiFi conflict. In the driveway, my phone starts picking up WiFi, which kills BT. And when at home or with any WiFi, having BT turned on (even if not connected) affects the WiFi connection. The connection looks fine, icon in Settings is white, but won't process Internet data requests.

Further experimentation has confirmed this: either connection works fine if the other is turned off.

Ideas?

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Same here with Moto X, Nexus 7 AND Nexus 9. We have Lollipop 5.1 & 5.1.1 - when the Bluetooth is activated the WIFI connection is disabled immediately. Real mess for the last 4 days. Have cleared cache, turned things on and off,deleted WIFI connections, etc - Nothing seems to work. If Cellular Data is turned on and WIFI turned off, both things will work(BT&internet). However that is only with Cellular Data activated (which can cost !). really stumped. Have tried other routers and open networks but the two features will NOT work with one another. HELP !?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people report that before. They do both use the same radio and can both be 2.4 ghz.

I noticed an issue with one particular bt connection - once I was connected to this device, all other bt connections, and some wifi connections, we're unstable until I restarted. I finally deleted the pairing and it's been fine ever since.

So, maybe delete the pairing and recreate them and see if that helps?

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
<snip>

So, maybe delete the pairing and recreate them and see if that helps?

Thanks. My problem appears to be related to simply having both WiFi and BT turned on, with or without an active BT connection.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear, but once I connected to that one bt connection, even when it was disconnected it never let me connect to anything else. Since I deleted that pairing and never reestablished it, the phone has been fine.

Do you have the ability to have 5 ghz wifi connections? If so and if you go into advanced wifi settings and set it to 5 ghz only, does that make things work better? Not that this is a long-term solution, just wondering if it's a 2.4 ghz radio issue...

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, all. I'll whack my BT connections and recreate this weekend.

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I unpaired and deleted all my Bluetooth devices. Problem still exists: when BT is on (even with no devices in the list) WiFi is very unpredictable and typically does not work at all. Now that I know what causes the problem, I can work around it, but it is annoying not to be able to use both. If anyone sees or knows of a fix, please send it my way!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the ability to use 5 GHz WiFi? In other words, do you have a router that supports both 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n and 5 GHz a/n (particularly 802.11n)?

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So I was having trouble with things loading while on wifi with bluetooth on. After reading this thread I figured what the heck and disabled bluetooth. Everything loaded immediately. My wifi is both 2.4 and 5. The problem was persistent across both. I haven't had this issue for the full life of the phone I don't think. I have wifi and bluetooth on all the time due to trusted devices and my Pebble.

Posted via Android Central App

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the ability to use 5 GHz WiFi? In other words, do you have a router that supports both 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n and 5 GHz a/n (particularly 802.11n)?

At home yes, but that's not typical in most of the places I find myself. Connecting to my 5 GHz router at home, though, didn't resolve the problem. Still seeking a solution...

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem as you are. Tried resetting the router, delete all bluetooth devices, deleted and reinstalled the saved WiFi connections, wiped the cache. What solved it was doing a factory reset. I was going to do a Warranty return (i paid for an extended warranty) and the level 2 tech guy said if I do a Factory reset and it did not solve the problem they would send me another phone free.
Through Google drive,Google backup and Verizon cloud the restore was pretty easy.A few hiccups with personal contact settings but that was it. The phone the phone works flawlessly again.

shedridc

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem with my Galaxy Note 5. If I used Bluetooth with wifi, the wifi would disconnect within a very short time. I was using a router at 2.5 GHz that could run 2.5 or 5 GHz, but not at the same time. I tried 5 GHz and the connection was maintained with bluetooth on indefinitely. It appears that the 2.5 GHz wifi interferes with the 2.5 GHz Bluetooth. I have some devices that do not have 5 GHz capability so could not leave it on 5. I bought a new router that could run on both 2.5 and 5 simultaneously. I also installed the WiFi Manager App. With this I can see what is going on with all the wifi signals in my area. I can see that within a short time after I turn on bluetooth, the 2.5 GHz signals drop out and cannot be seen at all. Occasionally the 2.5 GHz signal reappears, only to disappear a short time later. It is like the phone is jamming them. But other Android devices at my side can still see and use the 2.5 signal with no problem. And my Note 5 can now always see and use the 5 GHz wifi. So the solution, at least for me, is to use only 5 GHz. The Note 5 has some defect with this. BTW, the WiFi Manager App has necessary settings to ensure you do not change over to your 2.5 GHz signal if the 5 GHz signal drops in strength, which it will likely do since it has a little less ability to penetrate multiple walls in your house. I highly recommend this app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem with my Galaxy Note 5. If I used Bluetooth with wifi, the wifi would disconnect within a very short time. I was using a router at 2.5 GHz that could run 2.5 or 5 GHz, but not at the same time. I tried 5 GHz and the connection was maintained with bluetooth on indefinitely. It appears that the 2.5 GHz wifi interferes with the 2.5 GHz Bluetooth. I have some devices that do not have 5 GHz capability so could not leave it on 5. I bought a new router that could run on both 2.5 and 5 simultaneously. I also installed the WiFi Manager App. With this I can see what is going on with all the wifi signals in my area. I can see that within a short time after I turn on bluetooth, the 2.5 GHz signals drop out and cannot be seen at all. Occasionally the 2.5 GHz signal reappears, only to disappear a short time later. It is like the phone is jamming them. But other Android devices at my side can still see and use the 2.5 signal with no problem. And my Note 5 can now always see and use the 5 GHz wifi. So the solution, at least for me, is to use only 5 GHz. The Note 5 has some defect with this. BTW, the WiFi Manager App has necessary settings to ensure you do not change over to your 2.5 GHz signal if the 5 GHz signal drops in strength, which it will likely do since it has a little less ability to penetrate multiple walls in your house. I highly recommend this app.

Did you try changing the 2.5 GHz channel on your router, just to see if the conflict could be resolved with a different channel? (Typically, channels 1, 6, or 11 are used for 2.5 in the US, but it's ok to try another, if it will work.)

shedridc

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I did not try that as I wanted a new router anyway. On 2.5 GHz, my old router used channel 11, and my new router uses channel 1. In both cases the 2.5 GHz signal gets blocked by wifi. In the old router and the new on, the 5 GHz signal does not ever get blocked by wifi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12