Nexus 6P ordered. I think my Maxx has been my best smartphone experience to date (Galaxy Nexus definitely wasn't). The only reason I didn't stay with the line through Verizon is Verizon. I think I'll miss some of the Motorola customizations but they aren't better than never getting updates.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-29-2015 01:47 PM
    Ha I just did the same

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    09-29-2015 02:05 PM
    Same here. Love the Moto DROIDS, but a nexus experience will be nice and I'd like a phone that works with foxfi which is pretty much everything except Moto

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-01-2015 04:01 PM
    I'm strongly eyeballing the new Nexus phones too. Shame there's no wireless charging, but it's not a deal killer.
    10-02-2015 02:30 PM
    I went iPhone 6S, but only the Nexus 5X would have kept me with Android. Every other available phone is either too mediocre (especially the cameras), have too small batteries, or are way, way too big. (The Maxx is physically as large as I'd like a phone to be.) If the Nexus 5x had 3 GB of RAM or a 64 GB storage option - who knows, I might exchange the iPhone and go with that?

So far the iPhone has the same battery life as the Maxx did with a battery half the size. Google needs to fix that...
    gamefreak715 and Andy88488 like this.
    10-02-2015 05:15 PM
    I went iPhone 6S, but only the Nexus 5X would have kept me with Android. Every other available phone is either too mediocre (especially the cameras), have too small batteries, or are way, way too big. (The Maxx is physically as large as I'd like a phone to be.) If the Nexus 5x had 3 GB of RAM or a 64 GB storage option - who knows, I might exchange the iPhone and go with that?

So far the iPhone has the same battery life as the Maxx did with a battery half the size. Google needs to fix that...
    I had two older iPhones (years ago) and after they were both stolen (mugged twice) I ended up switching to Android (long story) which I knew nothing about at the time. 3 Android phones later I'll never go back. iPhones are excellent but they don't fit my needs. I have my phone tailored and tweaked through apps and widgets to do exactly what I want. Generally speaking I change up my phone's look about every six months because I find some new and amazing app. There is no way I want to go back to just icons.

Has switching to iOS been a challenge at all for you either on the device front or media wise?

10-02-2015 05:33 PM
    Has switching to iOS been a challenge at all for you either on the device front or media wise?
    No, anything but. One of the major reasons that I switched was because of media playback - my cars will connect via USB to iOS devices, bit only via Bluetooth for Android, and whenever I entered the car it was a coin flip if the thing would continue playing where I left off last. Press the play button if it played nothing - nothing happened, so I had to fiddle with the phone (thankfully I could "OK Google Now, open Play Music" to at least voice start the app) to get anything playing. The iPhone is perfect, I have a bunch of headphones with inline music controls and they all work with the iPhone (and did not with the Droid Maxx - they did at first, but something blew out and there is no Motorola store to go to to get it fixed, so I was using BT earbuds with the same problem the car stereo had.)

My Android home screen was pretty simple, just two screens with two widgets (one was the VZW one with the amount of data used, the other was a clock/weather with the battery %, because Google decided against showing that on the status bar - moronic.) iOS now has widgets in the notification shade - not as sophisticated as Android, but more than good enough for me.

The fingerprint unlock is fantastic, and of course the camera is as well.

I've had an iPad for 3 years, so it wasn't a huge transition. Plus my wife and kids all have iPhones, plus my siblings and even my Mom, and my wife's siblings and their spouses and kids (except one person with an old Razr Maxx HD.) That's 28 iPhones and 2 Android phones in the extended family. I also have a Macbook and an iMac, so going iPhone was just overdue.

To be honest, I only bought Android at first 6 years ago because Verizon didn't have it, and then, when they did, it was the stupid glass backed iPhone 4 and then 4s. When I bought the Maxx two years ago I decided to stay with Android one more time (rather than get the 5 or the 5s) because of the large battery on the Maxx (I live in a place with weak mobile signals, so the battery was important) and the promise of rapid Android updates by the Google-owned Motorola team. Well, as I said, the battery life on the Maxx has been a disappointment, and the Motorola support - a buggy KitKat build that took six months to update, plus the crappy Lollipop upgrade timing - has been a letdown.

Maybe I'll feel differently in a couple of years, but right now, with the crap job Google did on Lollipop (a memory leak that still persists? Stagefright bugs that stay unpatched for months?), and Motorola's crap support of their phones over the last year, I want them (Google - I'm done with Moto) to prove again to me that Android is worth switching back to. I hope they can manage it.
    Andy88488 likes this.
    10-02-2015 09:07 PM
    That all makes sense to me. Personally I hope the iPhones continue to be good to drive competition. Good luck with what will hopefully be a much less frustrating phone experience!

10-02-2015 10:07 PM
    I went with a Moto X Pure Edition. Happy so far, especially the lack of VZW Bloatware

Posted from my XT1575
    10-03-2015 12:24 PM
    Amusingly, I was kicking around posting a topic with the exact same title, about my leaving Droid to go to the iPhone 6s. I am tired of the rough edges, the complete lack of updates even in the face of glaring security flaws, and the feeling that Google is using my phone to collect data. I'd rather pay for the OS and let it work for me, rather than getting a "free" OS and paying for it with my personal information.

I have warm feelings about the community here, though, and I thank everyone for their help over the years.
    doogald likes this.
    10-05-2015 03:19 PM
    . I'd rather pay for the OS and let it work for me, rather than getting a "free" OS and paying for it with my personal information..
    If you don't think Apple collects an uses data in ways similar to Google, you should read their privacy policy. A part of it: As is true of most internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit websites and applications, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.

We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our product and services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. Apple may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.

There may be plenty of reasons to swap to a different platform, but if we want to avoid our usage being tracked, that's a different thing.
    10-10-2015 12:47 PM
    If you read the two privacy policies, Google is collecting, holding and using a lot more than Apple does.
    10-10-2015 10:46 PM
    Indeed. After much research I decided to give Google everything (except passwords but LastPass is a whole other story now). I made sure I fully understood what information they were getting and how that was being used. I love the services I have received in return for that data. This is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. If you feel safer with Apple then go nuts. Nothing wrong with not wanting Google or Android. Just don't be fooled into thinking that Apple is this paragon of privacy.

10-10-2015 11:27 PM
    Oh, yeah, I still use google services myself. Google has a "takeout" service that lets you download all of the data you've stored on their services so you can move somewhere else. I suppose it's possible that Google/Alphabet could "turn evil" and start selling data they've collected to third parties - I doubt it will happen, but it's possible - and I'll happily move somewhere else when that time comes.

But, it's a quite trivial to still use google services like gmail, calendar, keep, maps, and even Now on iPhones. You don't have to "switch" to iCloud.
    10-11-2015 07:43 AM
    I would just like to throw out my observations of iPhone vs Droid Maxx:

1. ios 9 has eliminated many of Kit Kat's advantages. I still miss Widgets, and I find the phone forgetting my choice to use Swiftkey instead of the stock keyboard A LOT. Other than that, I'm pretty comfortable with ios.

2. I have been very surprised to find that the phone's battery life is actually BETTER than my old Maxx. My original Maxx broke down about a year ago, so my new Maxx (which might have been refurbished) is only about a year old.

3. I won't talk about updates. That would be cruel...
    11-03-2015 12:14 PM
    I would just like to throw out my observations of iPhone vs Droid Maxx:

1. ios 9 has eliminated many of Kit Kat's advantages. I still miss Widgets, and I find the phone forgetting my choice to use Swiftkey instead of the stock keyboard A LOT. Other than that, I'm pretty comfortable with ios.
    Well, there are widgets in the Today section of the notification pull down. It's not quite the same, but I can still get an "at-a-glance" look at the current temp, the amount of data I've used, the calendar for the day, etc., from the notification screen. I use it a lot.

2. I have been very surprised to find that the phone's battery life is actually BETTER than my old Maxx. My original Maxx broke down about a year ago, so my new Maxx (which might have been refurbished) is only about a year old.
    Yep. I'd say it's not quite as good as the Maxx was with Jellybean, but as good or better than the Maxx with KitKat. It's definitely using much less battery in standby - my Maxx used a minimum of 3%/hour even if it sat in my pocket for the hour. Not the iPhone.

And - the battery is half the size as the one in the Maxx.
    11-03-2015 12:23 PM
    Yep. I'd say it's not quite as good as the Maxx was with Jellybean, but as good or better than the Maxx with KitKat.
    You're right. I'd forgotten that. The Maxx was GREAT on the battery until KitKat. My experience with my year-old Maxx on KitKat, towards the end, was that I could barely get a full day's use out of the phone, which astonished me, given how enormous the battery was.

And let's not forget (not to rub it in, but it IS a factor). I am on the iPhone Upgrade Program, so I will get a new phone EVERY YEAR! In my experience with Android, the first year of a phone's life is generally very good. The second year is painful. I get to skip the second year of iPhones.
    11-10-2015 10:04 AM