Source for stock Maxx firmware?

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking about the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues that I've had with my Maxx , and was thinking they could be the result of a bad software update.

Wi-fi and Bluetooth won't turn on , but everything checked out OK intermittently with Z-Device, which leads me to believe that it was an issue with software.Cache clean and factory resets didn't help it any, so I figured I'd try a reflash.

Does anyone know where I can get software that will take my Maxx back to the original version that came with it when I bought it? Factory reset seems only goes back to the factory settings for the current update, but not all the way back to the base version.

I've read (other places) that it can be done, and wouldn't mind doing it for my phone, plus the girlfriend's phone (her camera is unreliable at best). We both have Maxx phones, and like them.

It would be nice to have everything working on both of those phones, if we can do it. I might even keep mine as a backup to the Turbo 2, if it works.

Does anyone had any ideas or resources? I read through the other thread about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth not turning on, but reflashing the software was never discussed.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It cannot be done unless you have a developer edition and unlock the bootloader. Software cannot be rolled back beyond version 4.4.4.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
That figures. As far as I know, I don't have a developer edition.

For clarity, if the original version was 19.x.x.x, but the update that broke it was 20.x.x.x, I'd like to roll it back to the version 19 that worked, not take a KitKat device and roll it to Jellybean. Didn't mean to seem like that was what I wanted to do.

Thought maybe an update a while back broke the functions, and I'd they didn't issue a patch for it, it would stay broken.

Any other options for trying to revive those features in our phones? Be nice to have them, if we can. If not, I guess it's no huge deal.

Thought I'd ask, at least, since I'm out nothing for checking. Thanks, anyway, Doogald!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The current release of the phone is SU6-7.3, or 24.13.3. It is possible to roll back to SU6-7, or 24.3.7, but that's as far back as it will go. The boot loader will not allow an older version to be installed. I'd say within hours of rolling back, you will get a prompt to upgrade the phone, so you'll be doing the "reject the upgrade" dance every day.

The firmware image site I do know about is here: firmware.center

One thing that you can try (I'd do this before flashing older firmware) is to use the Verizon Software Update Assistant to reinstall the last update completely. You will need a USB 2 port if you have Windows - I've read plenty of reports that the SuA doesn't work on USB 3 ports.

Initial Setup - Software Upgrade Assistant (Motorola) | Verizon Wireless

This will reflash the latest update onto the phone pretty easily.

Just to ask the question: to rule out a software app that is interfering, have you tried connecting to WiFi and BT right after doing a FDR *WITHOUT* restoring your Google account during the set up? In fact, I'd skip the step to connect a Google account and then see if WiFi and BT work. It's possible you have an app that gets auto-installed after setup that is interfering with the radios. My Maxx is no longer my daily phone, but I do fire it up at least once a week (I keep it as a backup device in case my phone is lost/stolen/breaks/etc.) and WiFi and BT are rock-solid for me still on a Maxx bought on launch day in August 2013.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I did the Factory Reset several times, with and without the Google backup.

I've even tried the Verizon Software Assistant, but still no luck.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any steps. Might back everything up, and try the FDR again, though.

The girlfriend's Maxx has good Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but her camera is intermittent.

One of my co-workers has a Maxx, and no issues, so maybe it's a hit or miss deal.

I still like the Maxx, but really enjoy the Mobile Hotspot feature, and that won't work without Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

One thing that's really helpful on the Turbo 2 is the app permissions manager, helps dial them in the way I want them.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If you are really, really, really stuck you can use Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant to get a Mulligan on your Droid Maxx. Use the "REPAIR" option and pray that your PC can find the phone in Bootloader mode.

Now, the real kicker of it is that once you have taken the OTA upgrade to 24.21.7.en.US you cannot go back and reinstall any of the prior versions - the bootloader security just won't play ball. So, just download the 23.21.7 version right? Yeah right - good luck... if you find a copy please let me know.

So, the next best thing is to take the update and then make a nandroid to use as a base reinstall. Assuming you are in TWRP or CWM then this is very simple. If you are not, however, then you are once again screwed. (But, come to think if it if you don't have a custom recovery then you couldn't do much about reflashing the release keys anyways - right???)

I use TWRP because I like the big, cobalt blue buttons. I'm very scientific about stuff like this.

Now you need to know where TWRP is going to look for any backup ROM versions - so before you do anything else you should create a backup of your own ROM in order to give TWRP a fighting chance of finding anything in the future. Push or pull any backups that you want for archive to this location on your device. If you cannot create a backup of your existing ROM for any reason (like, for example you wiped out your system files at 3am because you were watching Hodor die) then you will have to hunt around with the TWRP file manager until you find what you are looking for.... try to avoid this because it really sucks.

So, here's what I have for you - a brand new, clean TWRP restore of the base ROM without any user data cluttering up the muck. Use twrp-2.8.7.0-ghost.img (yeah, it's for a ghost but it works just fine on obake). Flash the custom recovery and then grab my RESTORE version of 24.21.7.en.US and put it into the TWRP folder. I do not believe that this backup has EFS and it ought to restore onto any other Droid Maxx. But, then again I only have the one and have not actually verified this "theory" of mine.

So, good luck to all and remember that the sooner you hard brick your Droid Maxx the sooner you can buy a new phone. "Every project is an opportunity to purchase a new toy..."

Cheers,
Keith

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
INow, the real kicker of it is that once you have taken the OTA upgrade to 24.21.7.en.US you cannot go back and reinstall any of the prior versions - the bootloader security just won't play ball. So, just download the 23.21.7 version right? Yeah right - good luck... if you find a copy please let me know.

23.21.7? There was no such version for the Droid Maxx.

So, the next best thing is to take the update and then make a nandroid to use as a base reinstall. Assuming you are in TWRP or CWM

You cannot install an alternate recovery on the Maxx without unlocking the bootloader, which is not possible at this time for any but the very rare Droid Maxx Developer Edition.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Wrong and wrong again. Bootloader is easily unlocked once you get the code and the version was the most updated at the time of the posting.

Hey, do me a favor and don't quote me unless you know what you are talking about. Go bag on somebody else or shut up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wrong and wrong again. Bootloader is easily unlocked once you get the code and the version was the most updated at the time of the posting.

Hey, do me a favor and don't quote me unless you know what you are talking about. Go bag on somebody else or shut up.

But, you can't get the code anywhere. As i said, Motorola will only provide it for the developer edition of the Droid Maxx, and there is no way at this time to get it any other way.

That version you posted was never available for the Droid Maxx. In the first post of this thread there is a list of all versions that have been released. http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-maxx-reference.754536/

None of them are 23.21.7. Are you sure that you are talking about the 2013 Droid Maxx? Maybe it's possible you're talking about the old Razr Maxx or Razr Maxx HD? Maybe for those phones it's possible to get a bootloader unlock code? Because it is not for the 2013 Droid (not a Razr) Maxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38