My impressions of the Mini

scurvmeister

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
My Mini last all day and into the night. I have never, in the week I have had it, had it go into low battery warning and that's with me putting it back on the charger at 10pmish. At that point it is still between 35-45%.

Hm. I usually end the day around 15-20% with my mini. I never thought I was a power user, but I guess I do check it pretty often and text. Have you guys changed any major settings? I turned off Zap and Assist, but I really like touchless controls.

scurvmeister

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally on the fence. I got the maxx before because of battery but with the new x8 processors and more efficient choices I think the X and mini will last the day. Decisions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I was on the fence as well. I had some concerns about active notifications and the LCD screen battery life, and sometimes still wonder if the X's AMOLED will give it better battery life. I also really liked the way the X felt in my hand and the slightly bigger screen, but for essentially the same specs and experience, the price difference was too much. The Mini is also a complete joy to slip in and out of your pocket. And as others have mentioned, the LED notifications are awesome.

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I am also considering the mini and the X. Had a chance to look at both together at the Verizon store today. I was supprised at how compact the X is for a 4.7" display. Also supprised at how well the Mini compares. I tried to do the same things on each phone to compare the displays. The mini compared quite favorable to the X, IMHO. The higher pixel count on the Mini makes reading text on the mini equal to if not better than on the X. It is a little more compact than the X and to me that is a plus, although the X also feels very good in one hand. The things that tilt towards the X are the bigger screen, potentially better battery life with the AMOLED screen, and the potential for getting a 32GB phone on Verizon. I will probably hold out until after Sept 10 to see what the IPhone 5S is all about, since It appears that it will come with a 128 GB verision. Right now, I am leaning toward the X but we will see.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am also considering the mini and the X. Had a chance to look at both together at the Verizon store today. I was supprised at how compact the X is for a 4.7" display. Also supprised at how well the Mini compares. I tried to do the same things on each phone to compare the displays. The mini compared quite favorable to the X, IMHO. The higher pixel count on the Mini makes reading text on the mini equal to if not better than on the X. It is a little more compact than the X and to me that is a plus, although the X also feels very good in one hand. The things that tilt towards the X are the bigger screen, potentially better battery life with the AMOLED screen, and the potential for getting a 32GB phone on Verizon. I will probably hold out until after Sept 10 to see what the IPhone 5S is all about, since It appears that it will come with a 128 GB verision. Right now, I am leaning toward the X but we will see.

Compare usable area of the screen. Because of the on screen buttons of the X, it's actually not much more usable screen unless you are in an app that hides the buttons.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

Stack697

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the Mini & I just got the Moto X so I had a chance to compare them side by side - and I do think I'm returning the Moto for the Mini.
They are so similar with the software and speed neither has that advantage, but I'm swaying toward the Mini:
1. Coming from using a Razr M the past year I appreciate the small compact size of the Mini. Side by side the Moto really is only a few mm taller & wider than the Mini - but even that small difference makes the Mini easier to use one handed and makes it more pocket friendly, although the curves and soft touch materials of the Moto X makes that device feel much better to just hold.
2. I have to admit, I'm liking the LCD screen of the Mini. After initially being disappointed that the Mini's screen wasn't AMOLED, comparing it side by side with the Moto - the Mini's screen is significantly brighter with much more vivid whites - my Moto's screen is also excellent but it doesn't get as bright and has a significant pinkish screen tint (but you notice the tint only when you compare it to the super white backgrounds & lettering of the Mini)
3. I love the active notifications AND the notification led.

For me, It just doesn't feel like a downgrade to return the Moto and get the smaller cheaper Droid Mini.

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the mini screen is brighter than the X. I would say that reading text on the mini screen is much better than the X even though the X has deeper blacks. The mini screen is really quite nice, much better than my Razr M or the mini.
My wife has the Mini & I just got the Moto X so I had a chance to compare them side by side - and I do think I'm returning the Moto for the Mini.
They are so similar with the software and speed neither has that advantage, but I'm swaying toward the Mini:
1. Coming from using a Razr M the past year I appreciate the small compact size of the Mini. Side by side the Moto really is only a few mm taller & wider than the Mini - but even that small difference makes the Mini easier to use one handed and makes it more pocket friendly, although the curves and soft touch materials of the Moto X makes that device feel much better to just hold.
2. I have to admit, I'm liking the LCD screen of the Mini. After initially being disappointed that the Mini's screen wasn't AMOLED, comparing it side by side with the Moto - the Mini's screen is significantly brighter with much more vivid whites - my Moto's screen is also excellent but it doesn't get as bright and has a significant pinkish screen tint (but you notice the tint only when you compare it to the super white backgrounds & lettering of the Mini)

For me, It just doesn't feel like a downgrade to return the Moto and get the smaller cheaper Droid Mini.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I also own both devices and agree with everything you've said here. Although the LCD does have some advantages I think I've grown to prefer the pure blacks and oversaturated colors of AMOLED, but the Mini screen is certainly fantastic.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I went with the X. Really struggled and would be happy either way. Just wanted yo try 4.7 vs my old maxx 4.3 even though on screen buttons take up a little space. In the end the X will get me the most return if I decide to get rid of it. But I sure did love the compact size of the mini. If they would just make a 4.5 with buttons off screen like the mini that would be my ideal device!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon