Contacts Storage Application Crashes

Kylethedarkn

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
When I open contacts and try to select one of my contacts, the app crashes and I get the message "The application Contacts Storage (process com.motorola.contacts) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

I tried booting up the phone in safe mode, but the app still crashes. I'm on android 2.3.4

Anybody know what could be causing this or how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How many different sources are your contacts from? Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc.?

You could try removing each account, then adding them back again, in Settings>Accounts. If you don't have any contacts stored locally (i.e., on the "Phone Account"), you could also try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Contacts Storage, and Clear Data. Then let your accounts sync again, and see if the problem persists.

Kylethedarkn

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, and thank you for the welcome. My contacts are only from one source (Google). If I try to remove the account it says I would have to reformat the phone to default settings. Also when I go into Contacts Storage in the apps settings, the option to clear data is grayed out. The only option available is force stop, however hitting the force stop button doesn't do anything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I used a Gingerbread phone--on Jellybean and above, you can remove the Google account pretty easily in Settings>Accounts, then add it back. So I'm not sure if removing the account on your phone would actually do a factory data reset.

See what happens if you boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the cache partition. This won't erase any personal data. How to clear Cache Partition on my Motorola Droid Pro XT610? | MobiWhy

Kylethedarkn

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Holding down volume down and hitting the power key doesn't make the phone boot up into the recovery mode. It just boots normally. I've tried it about 10 times now.

Also when I hit remove account it says it can't do it without a system reformat. I think I might just try that...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you did the factory reset, did you immediately reinstall any apps? Or did the phone automatically reinstall them? See what happens if the phone is completely pristine, without any additional apps installed.

Kylethedarkn

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
The only app it auto downloads is "Google Play Services" because it is necessary for me to log into the phone. And if I have no contacts without logging into my google account.

Edit: Tried uninstalling it from the app manager and it successfully uninstalled without logging me out. However the error still happens. I should also mention I'm cool with rooting the device and installing a custom rom if that would solve the problem. Just not sure how.