any blackberry converts out there? what do you think?

cplush

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
ive been a huge blackberry fan for years but just got a galaxy tab over the holidays and and am really starting to like android and all its apps and features....i use a blackberry mainly for work but my IT will let me switch to android if i want so my question is, has anyone switched to the droid pro from a blackberry and what are your impressions?

jpcalhoun

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
ive been a huge blackberry fan for years but just got a galaxy tab over the holidays and and am really starting to like android and all its apps and features....i use a blackberry mainly for work but my IT will let me switch to android if i want so my question is, has anyone switched to the droid pro from a blackberry and what are your impressions?

There are a number of threads on this subject posted on this forum already...just page down...you'll find a couple that should give you the feedback that you are looking for.

ryandroid12

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
cplush-

I switched from a bberry to a droid pro a month ago. Browser and operating software is much better. The biggest transition was learning different alt functions for the keyboard. I miss bbm, but the text and email work better than any other phone I've had.

Hopefully your IT department can get your email set-up easily.

jb20

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Overall, I think that Droid Pro is the better smartphone. However, the keyboard isn't as good and the battery life can be a challenge.

As mentioned numerous times unfortunately you need the extended battery. It should have come that size standard. All the phone mft are trying to make the slimmest devices at the sacrifice of the battery. If you like Blackberry you will love the Pro. Just please keep in mind there is approximately a 3 week learning curve adjusting to android OS if you are not familiar with it. Once you familiar with it you will laugh at how outdated RIM has become. Its sad that all they have got going for themselves now is that Playbook. God help them if that fails the way of the Storm series of phones.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
For me it's the perfect switch. I have the hardware keyboard I love and android everything else. Definitely some tradeoffs you must be willing to accept, but the advantages of Android far outweigh them.

LongBeachTrijet

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Switched from Storm 2 to Droid Pro. In general, even after giving myself enough time to get used to the Droid, I think the BB is more intuitive and user friendly, However, with everything else, the Droid does much more and does it faster.

Mr. Violence

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Droid Pro to replace my Bold 9650. It's phenomenally better. I also had an Incredible that was good, but no hardware keyboard. The Droid Pro is infinitely faster than the Incredible (most likely because of the lower screen resolution).

I actually like the Motorola skin on Android. Their widgets are actually super efficient and helpful. I love it. Couldn't be happier with my phone.

jonsigler

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I recently made the switch from BB Bold to a Droid Pro. I like the real keyboard, it is laid out differently (alt/shift interchanged and the numbers are across the top) That I have yet to get in a week. It has a shorter battery life as pretty much everything that is not a Blackberry has. It does so much more than the BB and that is making me more productive. Little programs like the shopping list program I downloaded I love. I'm glad I made the change. Phones need to do more than messaging well to have my attention now.

MrsBS27#AC

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am in the process of transitioning to Android.

I just ordered the Droid Pro and I had a Blackberry.

I will be getting it on Tuesday.
I hope everyone here will be as nice as the people on the Blackberry forum =)

Nice to meet you all.

rich.kim

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i switched 2 weeks ago and i love it! came from a curve 8530 and the droid pro does have a little learning curve, but runs soo much more smoothly and can definitely handle a lot more...the keyboard is a little more stiff, but i got used to it easily and just some of the alt functions do take a little getting used to.

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just got it

I bought a used one to test whether I like the Droid system- I didn't want to waste my available upgrade- so far so good- fast - hot and productive- I'll get used to the differences I'm sure - we'll see- the BB 9650 Bold I had was certainly adequate and did the job- but a little "flash" in ones life now and then cannot hurt- we'll see

chnk137

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
athough the keyboard is a lot stiffer than the ones on the blackberry, its still very easy to use. the android os makes the blackberry os seem like a relic. took me a couple days to get used to a small keyboard changes. although there are some small things that i miss about blackberry like being able to dial directly on the keyboard, but the overall jump was a great experience.

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Getting mine today and couldn't be more excited. The to do apps on bb are WAY too expensive and don't do as much as the ones I've found on Android. The web browser is a big step up and I don't want to have to use outlook to sync my info anymore. Seems antiquated now. Perfect device to messaging and emails AND hopefully the Sprint version gets Gingerbread soon...my mind can't handle it!!!

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
i am a recent convert. i had a blackberry tour 9630. its nice to have a phone that seems to be supported months after its release. it seems like the tour was forgotten about 6 months after it was released.

having previously used my two friends who work for mobile companies i was familar with the way the system worked so adapting was easy.

captainmarkmoody

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a BB Tour and then a Bold and thought there was nothing that could beat them, but I was wrong. I switched to the Droid Pro and will never look back. The android system is far superior to the BB.

Yanks4me

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the BB Tour and switched to the Samsung Fascinate 2 wks. ago. I'm still getting used to it, I miss my BB at times,but LOVE the droid!