How To: Update To Gingerbrad Manually

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This seems to be a problem across the board then. Anyone else having this issue? Or have either of you found a fix yet?

If the factory reset in settings is used, would that be the equivalent of using the factory reset option located in Recovery Mode? Also, if it is, would that option revert me back to Froyo?

From my experience doing it on other phones (DInc and TBolt) they are the same thing.

I doubt we LOST recovery per se, they just changed how to access it. I am sure the info will leak out soon enough.

303darthbobby

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
From my experience doing it on other phones (DInc and TBolt) they are the same thing.
I went ahead and did the Factory Data Reset, and it went fine. It did not revert back to Froyo, which I almost wish I could, just to root. But it did allow me to change the default Google account it was syncing with.
I doubt we LOST recovery per se, they just changed how to access it. I am sure the info will leak out soon enough.
This is mostly what I figured. I'll play around with it in time and see if I can figure anything out. Other than that, I guess it just comes down to being patient.

Is there another way that I could possibly downgrade back to Froyo?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and did the Factory Data Reset, and it went fine. It did not revert back to Froyo, which I almost wish I could, just to root. But it did allow me to change the default Google account it was syncing with.

This is mostly what I figured. I'll play around with it in time and see if I can figure anything out. Other than that, I guess it just comes down to being patient.

Is there another way that I could possibly downgrade back to Froyo?

The only way to downgrade to Froyo is to root. Just out of curiosity why do you want Root so bad you are willing to go back to the old buggy Motoblur and a less secure version of Android? There really isn't that much junk on this phone as there is on a lot of other phones.

Root will come in time I am sure if it hasn't yet. If memory serves this phone was rooted within a week of release when it first came out.

303darthbobby

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The main reasons that I was interested in rooting:

To get rid of the Verizon forced apps- which really aren't causing any problems, just a bit of an annoyance.

Wireless tethering- My job sort of requires me to have some form of internet access on the go, but it cant be on a mobile browser since it requires uploading multiple large image files through shoddy java applets. And I'd rather not go back to using a wireless USB modem, I haven't had many good experiences with that.

There are a few more, but nothing that's extremely important. It's nothing I can't wait for, I was just curious. My plan of action was going to be something like this: Revert to Froyo>Root>Upgrade to rooted GB ROM.

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
To get into recovery post GB, once at the triangle screen using power + R+ M, press volume up and volume down at the same time to get into recovery and be able to factory reset, clear cache, or install update.zip......

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

macten52

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I performed this upgrade just as your instructions said. I am a VZW customer. It worked very well and didn't take long. Initial commenets....
- feels faster
- all my apps work
- seems to use battery faster
- unit froze on unlock (never did this before)

we'll see how it goes

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I performed this upgrade just as your instructions said. I am a VZW customer. It worked very well and didn't take long. Initial commenets....
- feels faster
- all my apps work
- seems to use battery faster
- unit froze on unlock (never did this before)

we'll see how it goes

It's normal to use the phone more after a new update like this so sometimes the battery life may seem to go faster but the more you use it it should settle into more normal usage and get a more accurate reflection of how it will be.

Glitches like your 4th pot occasionally happen after a software update and are not necessarily a prediction of what is to come. Power cycle the phone if you haven't already to clear out the memory.

jaydee311

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but holding down "R, M, and Power" simultaneously does absolutely nothing, no matter how long I hold them down, except take me to the "Phone Options" screen.

Edit: Finally got it working. It should be noted that the phone should already be off when holding r, m, and power when you try this. The directions didn't specify that entirely. Thx for the update.. now running 2.3!

Last edited:

clarinethero214

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have upgraded my Droid Pro to GB. Thank you for that. I have a question though. When Verizon allows OTA downloads for GB on the Droid Pro, should I be trying to install that? Would that version fix a few bugs that might have been left behind in this earlier released GB OS? If so, I'm not sure how to do that...
Also, what is the symbol to the left of the cell service. It's three wavy lines.

Last edited:

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have upgraded my Droid Pro to GB. Thank you for that. I have a question though. When Verizon allows OTA downloads for GB on the Droid Pro, should I be trying to install that? Would that version fix a few bugs that might have been left behind in this earlier released GB OS? If so, I'm not sure how to do that...
Also, what is the symbol to the left of the cell service. It's three wavy lines.
the three wavy lines mean your phone is in silent mode

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

You're quite welcome :)

The answer to your question isnt really a simple yes or no so please bear with me.

At some point Verizon MAY push an OTA update to go from Froyo to Gingerbread (possibly even this build but at this point I doubt it). If you are running this leak you will NOT get this pushed to you and if you find the upgrade file online it would not be advisable to install it manually as it might damage your phone's software. As you seem to have picked up, OTA updates only contain the files needed to upgrade one specific software build to another and it is possible that an important file could not be overwritten and cause issues.

IF, however you were to fine an RUU (the whole ROM) for a newer build of Android you could and probably should install that. However RUU's completely wipe the phone and you will need to reinstall all of your apps and data. That is the only way to get around the issue you ask about, and yes it would presumably fix bugs in this release.

I have yet to find any significant bugs in this release so I would not worry about it.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know how to root the Droid Pro with GB installed? i sure do miss my wi-fi tether, along with screen shots and titanium pro backups.

clarinethero214

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You're quite welcome :)

The answer to your question isnt really a simple yes or no so please bear with me.

At some point Verizon MAY push an OTA update to go from Froyo to Gingerbread (possibly even this build but at this point I doubt it). If you are running this leak you will NOT get this pushed to you and if you find the upgrade file online it would not be advisable to install it manually as it might damage your phone's software. As you seem to have picked up, OTA updates only contain the files needed to upgrade one specific software build to another and it is possible that an important file could not be overwritten and cause issues.

IF, however you were to fine an RUU (the whole ROM) for a newer build of Android you could and probably should install that. However RUU's completely wipe the phone and you will need to reinstall all of your apps and data. That is the only way to get around the issue you ask about, and yes it would presumably fix bugs in this release.

I have yet to find any significant bugs in this release so I would not worry about it.
I have yet to find any bugs other than the apps that are installed on your SD card disappearing from your home screens when you plug the Pro into the computer, but that's hardly an issue since I can use filesharing programs to get around ever having to do that. Thanks for the information. I get what you're saying, and it's good to know now since I don't want to screw up my phone (of course). One more question though. Let's say there is ever an update for a version that follows the one we have that was leaked. If it was released by Verizon OTA, would our phones detect that that update is available?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to find any bugs other than the apps that are installed on your SD card disappearing from your home screens when you plug the Pro into the computer, but that's hardly an issue since I can use filesharing programs to get around ever having to do that. Thanks for the information. I get what you're saying, and it's good to know now since I don't want to screw up my phone (of course). One more question though. Let's say there is ever an update for a version that follows the one we have that was leaked. If it was released by Verizon OTA, would our phones detect that that update is available?

I too would be perfectly fine if this was the version eventually pushed and honestly if they pushed this build and then a few weeks later pushed a newer build fixing the very few issues like you mentioned would make things a log smoother in regard to your question.

Whenever you download and install an OS build (even a signed one like this) before the carrier releases it you are taking a (small) risk.

Software updates come in three basic forms.

1. An OTA update. An OTA update is typically small (30-40 mb or so if it is a point release update, and 100 + MB or so if it is a major update (ie Froyo to Gingerbread). OTA updates contain ONLY the files needed to upgrade from one specific build to another. OTA Updates WILL NOT WORK if you are running any build other than the one that is expected which is typically the last official build from a specific carrier.

2. An OTA RUU (or flash-able RUU). RUU stands for Rom Update Utility. A RUU is c complete copy of the ROM for the phone (typically several hundred MB) and will WIPE THE PHONE. You rename this file as instructed (varies by manufacturer), stick this in the root of your SD card, boot into recovery and allow it to do it's work. YOU WILL LOOSE ALL DATA ON THE HONE!!!

3. A Flash-able (or executable RUU) is an .exe file run from your computer. You install the required USB drivers for your phone, plug it onto your PC, and run the EXE file on your computer and it will update your phone. The .exa file actually contains the same .zip file as the OTA RUU and sometimes a nice developer/programmer will fish that file out and make it available.

Now that I have addressed some of the terms I am going to use I will attempt to answer your question specifically.

If you are running an OTA Update like this and this ends up being the build that VZW pushes then YES you will be able to get future updates.

If this is NOT the build they push (ie they push a newer or older build) then when the push happens they servers will ping your phone, determine it is NOT running the expected build of Froyo and NOT push the update because as I said before the OTA Updates contain only the files needed to upgrade from a specific build of Froyo to Gingerbread. Theoretically you could manually download the update file and the system MIGHT let you install it (more than likely it would error out) and if it did then you are taking the risk that some files or configurations not being correct and causing problems.

If Verizon pushes a different build from this one and we wish to install that build (and that is by no means necessary if you are content with this one) then you would need to wait for one of the RUU's to leak (as they invariably do) and upgrade that way.

clarinethero214

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that extremely informative response. I understand it a lot better now. I have had hardly any noticeable problems with GB so far, and I'm rather content if this is what I have to stick with. I will admit that I had to do a factory reset today because of a text messaging Force Close issue that would not fix itself, but I doubt this had to do with GB as it is working perfectly now. Other than that and the keyboard backlight issue, I am extremely happy with what I have, so I'm not too worried. Thanks again!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for that extremely informative response. I understand it a lot better now. I have had hardly any noticeable problems with GB so far, and I'm rather content if this is what I have to stick with. I will admit that I had to do a factory reset today because of a text messaging Force Close issue that would not fix itself, but I doubt this had to do with GB as it is working perfectly now. Other than that and the keyboard backlight issue, I am extremely happy with what I have, so I'm not too worried. Thanks again!

You're welcome :)

jzamoras

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Any luck having the zip file for newest update? I have 2.3.3 leak installed and rooted. OTA updates does not show anything,

Thanks!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Any luck having the zip file for newest update? I have 2.3.3 leak installed and rooted. OTA updates does not show anything,

Thanks!

The build at the beginning of this thread is the one that Moto sent out to a limited number of people in the Moto Feedback Network and promptly pulled because the DX update was such a disaster.

Is there a newer update? I wasn't aware of it. As for your question: no if you are on anything but the last official build (in this case a specific build of Froyo), installed the check for updates screen wont detect anything and you wont be pushed anything. Also if you are rooted and install an OTA update it will likely brick your phone or at least screw something up.

jzamoras

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help, VZW

so, do I have to unroot first and then install the 4.6.8 update? for the record, the leak has 4.6.4 version.

what does happen with frozen apps when the phone is unrooted?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci