How To: Update To Gingerbrad Manually

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
When I did the update manually I was worried about that too. But everything came back. No problems what-so-ever. Of course all google cloud based contacts came back but all my screen layouts and DL apps and preferences were all kept intact.

On my old BB, it would have taken me hours to get everything back to where it was. Love the Droid!

Reactions: Tifoso

snowxracer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I did this to the Wife's Pro a few days ago and everything went flawlessly. The one complaint she has though is that the battery life is pretty bad. She used to make it through a whole day, now its dead around 8PM. anyone else experiencing poor battery life?

Gdoctor

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Finally decided to do it manually. Left all my settings intact which is important since I'm not on a VZW network or in the US. The only thing I noticed was that the Motorola Clock widget wouldn't resize as before. Oh well, I'll just have to test the Market.

MrHawaii

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone point me to a file to get back to stock ROM? I was dumb and did not do a backup. Not rooted either. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

wittregr

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get into Recovery Mode after applying GB? I power-up holding down the Power, <R> and <M> key and I get the triangle with the exclamation mark but then pressing <@> does nothing. The only way out (IFAIK) is a battery pull.

At one point I thought I needed to re-apply the update and tried this with no luck. Did we lose Recovery Mode with GB or is it me :( ??

jvm1982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get into Recovery Mode after applying GB? I power-up holding down the Power, <R> and <M> key and I get the triangle with the exclamation mark but then pressing <@> does nothing. The only way out (IFAIK) is a battery pull.

At one point I thought I needed to re-apply the update and tried this with no luck. Did we lose Recovery Mode with GB or is it me :( ??

I just tried it on mine and got the same results you did... So I'm not quite sure if this means we lost it or not... Let's hope we didn't!!!

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The upgrade worked. It did take quite a while for the first boot. The interface is is little different and it will take a little while to get used to. I did have to reload emails from the server and I think that is causing initial sluggish performance. I'll wait a bit before I make a final evaluation.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The upgrade worked. It did take quite a while for the first boot. The interface is is little different and it will take a little while to get used to. I did have to reload emails from the server and I think that is causing initial sluggish performance. I'll wait a bit before I make a final evaluation.

Both of these are expected.

Reactions: dbregman

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
just finished loading GB...thank you...ive been paitiently waiting for Gingerbread since i found out about the update right after i bought the phone off my friend.

mstnggt3

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't find the update.zip file after i extract the original zip file. I'm using a Mac, does that make a difference? I tried 3 times and can't do it. I even tried renaming the first .zip file and using that one. I can't get it and its killing me!!!!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't find the update.zip file after i extract the original zip file. I'm using a Mac, does that make a difference? I tried 3 times and can't do it. I even tried renaming the first .zip file and using that one. I can't get it and its killing me!!!!

Download Aladin Expander for Mac and extract it with that. It will create a folder with the update file inside. The name of the folder will begin with 2.2.3. Renaming the downloaded file update.zip DOES NOT WORK. There is a zip archive inside of a zip archive.

lv475

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I just update the phone and it worked great. However, it does not recognize the SD card. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, do I remove the zip file from the telephone after the installation?

Thank you.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I just update the phone and it worked great. However, it does not recognize the SD card. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, do I remove the zip file from the telephone after the installation?

Thank you.

Turn off the phone, remove and re insert the SD card making sure it is secure then power up the phone. Hopefully that will fix it.

Weather you remove the file is up to you but most do. It isn't needed anymore.

And you're welcome :)

droidNYS

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
VZWRocks - Thanks so much. I hate waiting for anything!! Quick question, I've been debating on the issue of rooting, can I do it with this update? Should I wait? What do you think?

303darthbobby

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I just tried it on mine and got the same results you did... So I'm not quite sure if this means we lost it or not... Let's hope we didn't!!!

This seems to be a problem across the board then. Anyone else having this issue? Or have either of you found a fix yet?

If the factory reset in settings is used, would that be the equivalent of using the factory reset option located in Recovery Mode? Also, if it is, would that option revert me back to Froyo?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
VZWRocks - Thanks so much. I hate waiting for anything!! Quick question, I've been debating on the issue of rooting, can I do it with this update? Should I wait? What do you think?

Glad it works for you :)

As for rooting I don't know that is up to you. I don't root my phones so I have never looked into it. XDA Developers is usually the place to look or the rooting/roming forum here. I dont think that enough [eople are running the update yet. Verizon still hasn't pushed it yet. I've been running it since I started this thread and have had no issues whatsoever and have over 394 hrs of up-time. My guess is they are scared after the borked Droid X update, since in theory they are the same software but this seems to be running just-fine :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance