How To: Update To Gingerbrad Manually

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Original instructions from here Manually Install Android 2.3.3 Update in Motorola Droid Pro | Android Total with some corrections.

1. Download the update file (the file is zipped) Download Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP and extract the update.zip file from the file you download DO NOT SIMPLY RENAME THE FILE!!!
* Download the file Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP
* Use a program like winzip or aladin expander to extract it. This will create a folder Droid pro 2.3.3 update or something similar
* Inside this folder you will find another zip file called update.zip
2. Connect your phone to your computer with the provided USB cord
3. Copy the update.zip file that you extracted from the download to the root of your SD card
4. Disconnect the phone from the computer
5. Power down the phone
6. Hold down the R and M keys as well as the Power button
7. When you see the triangle with an exclamation point inside of it and the little droid logo hit the @ key to pull up recovery options
8. Use the volume rocker to scroll down to the option apply sdcard:update.zip
9. Hit Enter
10. Let the phone do it's thing
11. When you get back to the boot-loader screen again navigate down to reboot the phone and again hit enter......don't worry about the phone taking longer to reboot when done this is normal

Enjoy :)

FAQ:

How is this different from the OTA?

The update.zip file is the same as the OTA download, so the only difference is that you are installing it manually as opposed to waiting for Moto/VZW to take their sweet time granting you access to the update.

I Am Rooted. Is This Update Safe?

Yes, it should still work for you, however their is less of a chance of issues with the update if you go go back to stock first.

Will I Loose Root?

Yes, most likely

As this rootable yet?

Not that I know of.

Will This Void My Warranty?

No, it is Moto and VZW's update. You are just applying it manually here.

Could this brick my phone?

Anytime you do an update there is that possibility, but if you update a STOCK phone the chance is minimal.

This isn't working. What should I Do?

Go back and read the instructions again. The most common mistake is to just rename the download file rather than extract that and remove the update.zip file, You can also try downloading the file again.

How do I get back into the bootloader post Gingerbread update?

The process has changed with the new firmare:

To get into recovery post GB, once at the triangle screen using power + R+ M, press volume up and volume down at the same time to get into recovery and be able to factory reset, clear cache, or install update.zip......

Last edited:

jvm1982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just out of pure curiosity do you work for VZW??? All I have to say is wow I can't wait to try this!!! Thanks a Mill

mgatp

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Worked great for my DroidPro (which was rooted not sure that made a diff though), thanks a bunch! I am hoping to see some improvement in battery life...will report back later.

steven521

May 10, 2011
Visit site
how did you had the extracted file to your sd card? maybe thats what im doing wrong.. I keep getting the error that the signature isn't valid...

Last edited:

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Tried DL the file twice - both times it says the archive has an error. Any ideas were else to get the file?

jbak21

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
have been waiting for the OTA since the announcement last week and still no push, thank you so much for this post! took less than 10 min and my PRO is now on Gingerbread!!!!!!!!!

steven521

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out...don't extract the update folder because when you do you lose the signature...put the update.zip folder right now ur sd card and it will work....

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
YES!!!! 3rd time is the charm. i tried the DL link one last time and extracted the update.zip. Nor error reported with this archive file this time. Went into recovery mode and everything loaded in. Rebooting now, GB is now working!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just out of pure curiosity do you work for VZW??? All I have to say is wow I can't wait to try this!!! Thanks a Mill

Nope, though a lot of people seem to ask me that lol

Going to wait for the over the air update, but thanks anyway!

This IS the OTA update, exact same file that someone fished out of their cache folder before applying the update themself. It's perfectly safe and I have been running it about 14 hrs now with no issues

I tried to do the update but it didn't work on my pro.

What error did you get? Also did you remember to extract the update file (unzip the file you downloaded where you will find a file named update.zip and copied THAT file to the SD card) Most common mistake here is to rename the download file update.zip

You CAN NOT just download this file to your phone.

For those experiencing issues try re-downloading the file.

For those for whom it is working I an glad :)

Reactions: m1armor

smithtoo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
with astro, you can extract the file on the device and move update.zip to the root of the sd.

mine worked fine, go gingerbread

(now if samsung would ever catchup, my galaxy tab would be awesome

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE